Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves and elves... identical?  (Read 1523 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves and elves... identical?
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:29:43 am »

I was looking through the raws, and can't actually find anything that distinguishes between dwarves and elves physically, except that either tends to have different attributes at different levels. I couldn't find anything about, say, elves being taller or dwarves being stouter/broader, or anything else like that at all.

This seems odd to me, for the humanoid races to get less physically differentiated in the current version than they were before, considering that the options for differentiating them have increased so much.

Am I just missing something?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves and elves... identical?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:17:38 am »

Yes. Dwarves, elves and goblins were all the same size. Toady overlooked this fact or this is intentional?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:53:21 am »

Being the same overall size I can understand, since the biggest difference between, say, a dwarf and an elf is that one is wide while the other is tall, and right now the game doesn't care if size comes from height or width or length or whatever.

In the last version, there were at least [STOUT] and [DAMBLOCK] and that sort of thing, though to differentiate them beyond simple size differences.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:04:53 am »

In 40d, elves were size 7, narrow, and I believe had a negative damblock. Dwarves were size 6, stout, and had a damblock of 1. Since size is now a volume, it doesn't seem too outlandish that elves and dwarves have the same size. Goblins being the same is a bit of a stretch there, though. In any case, I do agree that the appearance modifiers need to be individualized for the different species.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 12:03:27 pm »

Well, given that dwarves are suppoused to be on average, 3-4 feet tall, I would think that Elves would be about the same as an average human, but yea, thats only a difference of maybe two or three feet.

Volume-wise though, it would be similar since dwarves are suppoused to be more compact and somewhat denser.

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:09:59 pm »

It's worth noting that goblins are also the same size as dwarves now (as I recall). If you can successfully repel a siege, I'd imagine that there's some good looting there.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 12:27:14 pm »

It's worth noting that goblins are also the same size as dwarves now (as I recall). If you can successfully repel a siege, I'd imagine that there's some good looting there.

I suppouse that means the end of vast piles of unwearable narrow clothing and armor from goblin ambushes and sieges?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:04:28 pm »

hooray i dont have to eventually magma burn all that goblin crap i get from so many damned sieges. i can also be an elf in adventure mode (which of course i will never EVER even consider, as a good df player. ever.) and grab and wear stuff from my abandoned fortress. or in fortress mode buy stuff from the elves (as if, because i am of course a proper df player who seizes elven caravans and starves the elven caravaneers into insanity, then burns them.) and make my dwarves wear it.

does this mean that goblins are comparably tougher vs dwarves then they were in previous versions? i seem to recall them being slightly smaller with a lower damblock. i also recall the random goblin siege being led by adopted elves, and elves wearing iron were insanely hard. all that retarded speed. is that still in the game?

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 02:14:15 pm »

The big advantage here is that you can now trade/steal armor and equipment from the elves, and goblin sieges will leave you with plenty of weaponry and armor for your dwarves (although I've noticed my goblins at least have a strange preference for silver weapons).

I'm happy to not be constantly melting 9000 narrow items
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 02:20:12 pm »

Or having to set aside stockpiles for said unuseable narrow items.

It'll really crash the clothes industry since there is now no incentive to make their own, just steal them off of elves or use whatever goblin stuff isn't too torn up.

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 10:05:07 am »

Or having to set aside stockpiles for said unuseable narrow items.

It'll really crash the clothes industry since there is now no incentive to make their own, just steal them off of elves or use whatever goblin stuff isn't too torn up.

I very rarely actually had dwarves wear clothes I made. Seems they'd have rather just worn XXpig tail sockXX for their entire life than realize it's now a bit of dental floss wrapped around their foot.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:17:30 am »

You would allow your dwarves to wear goblin or elf clothing?  Blasphemy!  Those clothes are probably infested with fleas, and you'll never get the stench out.  Atom smash the clothes and melt down the metal, nobody will use any of that garbage until it is properly purified.

*I wonder if it would be possible to make a custom workshop that takes any piece of "(clothing)" uses up a bar of soap and a bucket of water and outputs that same item of clothing just removing the imported parenthesis...

(Yes I had a custom fortress race that was the proper size to wear invader clothing, I find it too easy to outfit your military using invader gear)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:19:57 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MaxMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:25:21 am »

You would allow your dwarves to wear goblin or elf clothing?  Blasphemy!  Those clothes are probably infested with fleas, and you'll never get the stench out.

I second that... ELF COOTIES! ewwww.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:19:28 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:07:41 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 12:43:24 pm »

Is all dwarves being the same size intentional, or is that gonna change back, I would like to think there is some difference between creatures
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2