Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: poisoning weapons ?  (Read 2064 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
poisoning weapons ?
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:41:28 am »

Hey guys,

I was wondering, since some animals seem to have venomous bites and everything,
is it possible de mod weapons to make them poisoning (and what about ammos) ?

It could be nice to be able to get some poisoned animal extracts, and plants one, and put it on weapons/ammos, in a custom workshop ...

so ... ?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: poisoning weapons ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 05:58:27 am »

The only way to get a poison on a weapon is during a battle if it's someone's blood. And it's washed off. So no, no silver weapons vs werewolves yet (sadly).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:02:44 pm »

Do the syndrome tags not affect weapons made of the material in question? For instance modding lead to be used for weapons and ammunition and to cause lead poisoning when injected, would that cause the poisoning effect when it penetrates the flesh? I haven't tested it myself, but if it works it would create a lot of interesting effects if some of the types of wood and bone in the game are highly toxic.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46:02 pm »

There was a test run a while ago. They proved that smacking people with contact poisons doesn't do anything but throwing the poisons at walls to make puddles will poison enemies. I didn't see any tests for stuck-in weapons, but I don't think those work either. I'm looking into an idea based on having bolts made in a quiver with a melting/boiling point set to make them explode and create clouds or puddles when fired.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:37:25 pm »

The only way to get a poison on a weapon is during a battle if it's someone's blood. And it's washed off. So no, no silver weapons vs werewolves yet (sadly).

But, IIRC, gnomeblight is extremely poisonous to only gnomes. I'm curious if we could tap into that and apply it to the werewolf thing

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:26:59 pm »

But, IIRC, gnomeblight is extremely poisonous to only gnomes. I'm curious if we could tap into that and apply it to the werewolf thing
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53034.msg1137810#msg1137810 already done but for plain wolves.  i'm trying to get a plant extract be ooze-able like underground blobs, not working as plants can have added materials except for the extract itself and the structure mat.
unrelated note, trying to make a plant creature to do the above too.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:29:51 am »

I see that the wolfbane material you used has some sort of SYM_AFFECTED tag. Whats stopping us from applying it to the silver/werewolf case?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 12:07:03 pm »

I see that the wolfbane material you used has some sort of SYM_AFFECTED tag. Whats stopping us from applying it to the silver/werewolf case?
because of this: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53034.msg1159187#msg1159187

in short, getting the foe/target wet or a gas flow of the toxic material is the only means of poisoning. the method of doing that however is a bit far spread from "exploding" stone to ooze trails to blood.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 12:17:03 pm »

I've been trying to get vermin to do ooze/gas secretion for contaminant poisoning, but I've had no luck so far. The possibilities are pretty potent...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 02:11:34 pm »

I've been trying to get vermin to do ooze/gas secretion for contaminant poisoning, but I've had no luck so far. The possibilities are pretty potent...
how you tried copying the ooze creature? that thing constantly makes trails and a secretion layer that both are it's poisons.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 02:28:14 pm »

how you tried copying the ooze creature? that thing constantly makes trails and a secretion layer that both are it's poisons.

Yea, tried to turn it into a vermin. I think it's still possible, but I must be doing something wrong.

The idea - or at least one of them - would be that you unleash some non-breeding, untrappable/invisible vermin with a reaction and spread contaminants in a given area (or onto weapons) in that way. It'd hopefully be better than the roundabout method of trapping an oozing creature or stabbing one repeatedly to coat the weapons.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 04:19:35 pm »

is there error logs? and might as well post it

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 04:41:07 pm »

I've been very interested in figuring out how Deon made a critter that actually leaves trails of ooze behind it...  I haven't yet worked out what exactly is going on.

Now, on to the subject of poisons...

Keuran, that idea you mentioned about having bolts created within a quiver that keeps them in a stable state is interesting.  Very interesting.  If it's possible to have a material radiate a low temperature, it should be possible to have the bolts kept stable by being in such close proximity...  This would be particularly interesting, as I don't believe flying projectiles have their material states properly calculated, so the bolt would only evaporate once it came to rest.

This would mean that they would only activate if they got stuck in an enemy...  It's brilliant!  Excellent work, I'll get to testing it right away.

Now I just need to reacquaint myself with the reaction and material tags...  This should prove entertaining.

EDIT:  Alright, I can't seem to find anything that would make a material actually radiate a temperature.  As such, the projectiles melt the instant they are created, even if they appear automatically inside a fixed low-temperature container.

If any way is found to make a material radiate a particular temperature, then we can try this thing out again.  As it stands, it doesn't look like it's going to work too well.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:05:27 am »

What about creating something that remains a solid but melts/sublimates at close to body temperature? Hopefully it should remain solid while being fired and carried, but will melt/boil when it become stuck in a warm-blooded creature.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 09:13:35 pm »

If you're walking around in a relatively hot climate though, they'll melt.  And it would appear that most climates in the current version are pretty warm.

And besides, I'm not even certain that creatures are that good at transferring their heat to objects like that. 

Still a good thought.  I need to run a couple tests to see if the FIXED_TEMP tag still works on materials...  That tag at least used to radiate.  It's worth a shot.