Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: Armageddon MUD  (Read 23549 times)

monodefuego

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Armageddon MUD
« Reply #300 on: April 23, 2010, 11:17:02 am »

Yep, I see what you're saying, but on the other hand the creators of the game don't want to discourage players from doing their own thing with their characters. I think the dwarven documentation says quite a lot, actually, even if it's not verbose in doing so.

The advice I give to new characters is that they make their very first one to be a ditzy, trusting player. 99% of the citizens of Zalanthas are afraid of magick. Make one of the %1 that isn't so you can see some of it. 99% of the citizens of Zalanthas hate elves (and, most of the time, rightly). Be one who doesn't so you can figure them out.

In that respect Arm is the same as many other games: the more you play the better you get. You can read strategy manuals for, I dunno, Mortal Kombat but when you sit down to play you still won't be very good. Your first character in Arm is going to be socially awkward, say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing, and generally stand out because you don't know any better, and that's all fine. Just consider it to be part of your character.

Another really good spot to go for expert advice and insight for RPing a character or what to do/what not to do is the General Discussion Board (GDB). That's here: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 09, 2013, 02:25:40 pm »

I would make a nice rp post to necro this. But I'm on my phone.

Seems like an awesome game. Recently saw it in first place on a top 10 list. Made a character and feel it's a good game. So I'm gonna call everyone from 2010 back and try and get more people interested.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 09, 2013, 02:40:22 pm »

I like the game in principal, but every time I play it, it just feels like a chore. I think it's the fact that names aren't remembered for you. Since my memory with names is bad even when there are actual faces I can see, my options are to go around, never remembering names, or keep them in a text document :S
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2013, 02:25:00 am »

I like the game in principal, but every time I play it, it just feels like a chore. I think it's the fact that names aren't remembered for you. Since my memory with names is bad even when there are actual faces I can see, my options are to go around, never remembering names, or keep them in a text document :S

Sorry to necro this thread again - it comes up fairly high in Google search results about remembering names in Arm, and I thought it deserved mentioning that you can automatically remember names if you're using pretty much any desktop MUD client. Whenever you learn a person's name, just set up a trigger that replaces their short description (e.g. "the tall, brown-haired man") with their name (e.g. "Steve"), and bam, you've got their name everywhere. You'll run into problems if you encounter people with the exact same short description, but that doesn't happen too terribly often.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »

what is the greifing like? in games where people lose items, there tends to be groups of experienced players going around to mass pk to take your stuff or hear you complain. you can't compete with them. How is that handled here?

what are the  multiplayer rules? In a game with permadeath, there is an advantage to make new characters to set people up to get killed. take their stuff and trade to a main. so they never know who you are.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2013, 01:16:12 pm »

I might have posted this here already...dunno. I looked back some pages and didn't see my username.

Anyway, I thought it was a cool idea and theme. Sounded really good to me. But, I tried trading with someone and...I couldn't figure out how to take an item out of my backpack xD He was really patient, and after 15 minutes (lol) I finally just put the backpack on the table we were trading on.

I think I did...

"take item from pack" "get item from pack" "get item from backpack" "take item from backpack" (of course, the word "item" was the actual item name, but I'm just using the word as a placeholder/example) and many other variations. I tried every combo I could think of for 15 minutes. I even tried help commands and trying to google and read the wiki and everything and they did not help.

And I didn't feel like I could ask, since its hardcore RP...didn't know if I could ask an OOC question.

It was so confusing lol.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:17:48 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 28, 2013, 01:29:19 pm »

what is the greifing like? in games where people lose items, there tends to be groups of experienced players going around to mass pk to take your stuff or hear you complain. you can't compete with them. How is that handled here?

Been several years since I played, but if it's still as it was: near-zero griefing.  Arm is extremely roleplay heavy, and any form of metagaming (i.e. using out-of-character knowledge) is grounds for complaint/potential banning if it's bad enough.  Also there are no global channels (even the 'ooc' command is limited to the room you're in), so there's no 'payoff' for people wanting your sweet internet tears, as it were.

what are the  multiplayer rules? In a game with permadeath, there is an advantage to make new characters to set people up to get killed. take their stuff and trade to a main. so they never know who you are.

Again, use of out-of-character knowledge is very frowned upon.  Also, multiple characters aren't allowed simultaneously (at least when I played), so you don't have a 'main' and an 'alt'.  You just have your character.  And even creating a new character and using it to e.g. get your previous (now dead) character's stuff is a no-no, as that's metagaming (you're using knowledge that your new character wouldn't have).

I loved playing Arm when I had the time to dedicate to it.  My favourite character was a rather crazed guy who heard voices in his head (which I actively roleplayed with the 'think' command).  He actually did quite well for himself and ended up being a bit of a street-rat type, running errands on and off for one of the high-ups at the time.  I think he eventually died in a knife fight in the north of Allanak.  Long time ago though.  :)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2013, 05:05:36 am »

Making an alt is a bannable offence. So almost nobody does it. And people who gets caught doing it almost never get karma (and thus get stuck with only the default races).

There's also minimal griefing. The world is harsh, but the characters are surprisingly forgiving. Templars have the right to kill you any time, but most of them refrain. PK for no reason isn't banned, but someone who PKs without reason will often be killed by someone else.

Exception is the Labyrinth. In gameplay terms, the 'Rinth is a free for all kill zone, so if you start out there, you should expect to be randomly killed. But most players will likely just knock you out instead of killing, even the amateurs.

It's the NPCs and environment that really grief you. I'd recommend starting out joining the Tzai Byn because they teach you to survive. Start in either Tuluk or Allanak. They keep you to the ground rules of survival: Never leave the city alone, never mess with magickers, and never, ever enter the 'Rinth.

I've had tons of great experiences with Armageddon. It's a shame that it's such a time sink, otherwise I'd probably never play another game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 17, 2013, 11:51:57 am »

So, debating poking this again.  But debating if I want to bother...  I don't recall much from my previous attempt, but I remember having no tutorial and no clear definition of what I should be doing at all, nor any readily available newbie chat or whatnot...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:28 am »

So, debating poking this again.  But debating if I want to bother...  I don't recall much from my previous attempt, but I remember having no tutorial and no clear definition of what I should be doing at all, nor any readily available newbie chat or whatnot...

Yep horrible tutorial and everything has to be RPed. No general chat.

Basically read the site's guide and go practice your emotes in an empty bedroom.

Other then that, I had fun. First time I was so immersed in an RP. Sadly there just isn't enough of an idea of what to do to get started to make it holding. I got super lucky and the first person I talked to ended up being a high ranking merchant who hired me (after a ton of sucking up), but all I ended up doing was digging through manure while waiting for this person I was suppose to get a job from to show up. I never found anything and got tired of checking up on it. It's like the only thing worthwhile doing in that game is RPing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2013, 09:26:09 am »

Got my account password reset, so I'm able to get on again.  Thinking of trying a ranger + weaponsmith or something so I can wander into the wilderness and die alone.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 06, 2014, 12:34:07 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 23, 2014, 12:06:47 pm »

Anyone playing this? Just started.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 23, 2014, 12:10:03 pm »

I haven't touched it in ages.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:12 am »

I stopped playing after joining a house and not being able to meet with someone who was suppose to assign me work for several weeks....
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22