Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422170 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #5265 on: February 13, 2012, 09:54:34 pm »

Ok, Hello all, long time player here, but first time modder.

Just trying some very basic editing of the reaction_smelter.txt to get my feet wet, however I can't seem to get anything I add to show up in the game. From what I understand I can edit the reaction_smelter.txt in the save/raws and then when I start the save what I added will be there?

For example, just to see if I could I added

[REACTION:FREE_STEEL]
[NAME:create steel]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

To the bottom of the reaction_smelter.txt in save/raws (game is closed when I do this) when I start the game and load the save, its not there. I can't even get this simple hack to work, makes my modding career in serious doubt :)
Also note that if you are modding a save that currently exists (as opposed to generating a new world), then you will be unable to add new content (with a few loopholes). So no adding new reactions after the world exists. What you can do is take a nigh-useless reaction, such as [REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING] and change everything except the title ([REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]) and the building token ([BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]) to fit your new reaction. The end result would then look like this.
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]
In game it should work just fine like this, with the only drawback being that you can no longer make rose gold. What some people do to get around this is they create 4-5 blank reactions at the bottom of the reaction file that just look like,
[REACTION:TEST_1]
allowing them to add more reactions in without needing to generate a new world.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:20 pm »

They wont show up in the first year if it's spring.

So they'd show up in year 2 and the game would continue as normal then?

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: February 14, 2012, 12:05:43 am »

to meph's question about hell-linked civs: i'd say give it a shot! layer link things down there like crazy and test it out. however, the only way i know to avoid things created down there from fighting the demons is to give them the 'at peace with wildlife' tag, and i only know that from narhiril's studying of similar trying to get her own creatures installed there from constantly getting killed before anyone got to see them. i swear, lfr manages to be an amazing go-to for creative raw-juggling

also, on civs given spring and such as their active seasons: only those set to spring won't show in the first year. i constantly get visits from modded in races in the first summer, autumn, and winter...and, they usually manage to bring the goblins and kobolds (and other 'surprise' races) with them, meaning all your fun can potentially start your second month of play, if your race active in the summer has a lust for steel or more expensive items to show off. my last game, i had a goblin siege in the spring of year two! talk about a surprise...

if you don't want results along those lines, i believe you can force those civs to show up a bit later by giving them similar restrictions to those goblins and kobolds have for their initial arrivals. also think humans have a restriction, too, as i sometimes don't get them showing up 'til year three or, occasionally, four

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: February 14, 2012, 01:27:13 am »

Say now, how could I go about making a creature 'explode' on death?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: February 14, 2012, 01:30:06 am »

You can make them drop an inorganic stone upon death and have it violently boil at 0 temp. Or you can make it's blood explode when it touches the air.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:36 am »

How would i be able to make a creatures blood something else? You know like... MAGMA!
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: February 14, 2012, 01:46:48 am »

[BLOOD:INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN:LIQUID]

or if you want it clearly stated as "magma":

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:SOIL_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:48:42 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: February 14, 2012, 02:07:35 am »

[BLOOD:INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN:LIQUID]

or if you want it clearly stated as "magma":

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:SOIL_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]

Ok Thanks.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: February 14, 2012, 05:05:12 am »

I just got done making some castes for the first time today - I am trying to make the different castes have a different coloured symbol and different names within the dwarf fortress combat reports, but they seem to use the base name for the creature here instead of the caste name, and the symbol for all castes seems to set to the last time the symbol token is called.

This is an issue for me as I am creating castes for a hostile civ that have drastically different combat capabilities and therefore it's pretty important that the player be able to tell them apart.  Alternatively I could separate them out into distinct creatures but I need an effective way to make sure that only a few come to any given ambush or siege.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: February 14, 2012, 06:44:58 am »

define caste profession name, and dont define base profession name. For example:

[CREATURE:DWARF]
  <common data>
  [CASTE:FEMALE]
    <female data>
    [CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:MINER:female miner:female miners]
    <blah blah>
  [CASTE:MALE]
    <male data>
    [CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:MINER:male miner:male miners]
    <blah blah>
  [CASTE:SEXUALLY_DYSFUNCTIONED]
    <gay data>
    [CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME:MINER:homosexual miner:homosexual miners]
    <blah blah>
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:03 am »

I think this thread is going to descend into obsolescence.

...anyway, I want to press a solid from plant leaves.
Is it even possible to press solids? If yes, can you show me an example of the architecture?

Or, actually... the solid I want to press has a melting point which is above cave temperature, but under warm outside temperature. If I press a liquid from the leaves and it freezes due to being indoors, what problems are going to be created? Will I end up with an useless solid-in-a-jug?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: February 14, 2012, 01:05:45 pm »

You can make them drop an inorganic stone upon death and have it violently boil at 0 temp. Or you can make it's blood explode when it touches the air.

I'm going to ask here and now in hope to have this answered. But is there anyway to make the material disappear along with the fire after a short period of time after exploding. I have been able to make a creature explode, but it's "inorganic corpse" remains and burns forever. This is especially important for my Suika Fortress mod.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: February 14, 2012, 01:11:37 pm »

I'm going to ask here and now in hope to have this answered. But is there anyway to make the material disappear along with the fire after a short period of time after exploding. I have been able to make a creature explode, but it's "inorganic corpse" remains and burns forever. This is especially important for my Suika Fortress mod.

If you're using a material that burns [IGNITE_POINT] then you need to add [HEATDAM_POINT]. Use the same [HEATDAM_POINT] as wood.

If you're using [BOILING_POINT], then it should disappear with it.

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: February 14, 2012, 01:45:19 pm »

Ahhh yes :) That would be what I didn't know ... added that now, working fine. Thanks!

Ok, Hello all, long time player here, but first time modder.

Just trying some very basic editing of the reaction_smelter.txt to get my feet wet, however I can't seem to get anything I add to show up in the game. From what I understand I can edit the reaction_smelter.txt in the save/raws and then when I start the save what I added will be there?

For example, just to see if I could I added

[REACTION:FREE_STEEL]

To the bottom of the reaction_smelter.txt in save/raws (game is closed when I do this) when I start the game and load the save, its not there. I can't even get this simple hack to work, makes my modding career in serious doubt :)

Any ideas?

Undeadlord

Did you allow the reaction in your ENTITY_DEFAULT?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: February 14, 2012, 06:07:18 pm »

Is it possible to increase the number of cavern layers to 9, 10 or even 20? Or is there a max?
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 357