Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422374 times)

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #5010 on: January 26, 2012, 10:10:37 pm »

Is it at all possible to add sub-menus to custom workshops, like how the forge works? As in: you click the "Furniture Factory," and are given the options for Wood, Stone, Metal, or Glass furniture, and then it expands the list to show the different types?

Also, is there a way to restrict each entity to using certain types of animal? Beyond the "Use Good" and "Use Evil" animal tags?
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:35 pm »

I'm working on implementing Alchemy, and I'm trying to get the requirements right for building the alchemy lab

[BUILD_ITEM:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MOOR_STILL:NONE:NONE]
I want to require the Moor Still to be made of glass, how would I be able to do this?
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: January 26, 2012, 10:16:51 pm »

I'm working on implementing Alchemy, and I'm trying to get the requirements right for building the alchemy lab

[BUILD_ITEM:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MOOR_STILL:NONE:NONE]
I want to require the Moor Still to be made of glass, how would I be able to do this?

Add [GLASS_MATERIAL] to the end of the line.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: January 26, 2012, 10:25:12 pm »

Thanks. Two more things: I want to have a pipe section as a required build item, but I have no idea what the code is.
Also, if there is a GLASS_MATERIAL tag, is tere also an equivalent metal material tag?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out the answers were PIPE_SECTION and NO.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:18:38 pm by Raptor_a22 »
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:09 pm »

I am looking to change the properties of magma in the game, but I can't find it anywhere in the raws - is magma still hardcoded?  Any word on if it will be moddable in the next release?

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: January 26, 2012, 10:59:29 pm »

I am looking to change the properties of magma in the game, but I can't find it anywhere in the raws - is magma still hardcoded?  Any word on if it will be moddable in the next release?

Still hard-coded, as far as I am aware. No idea if it will change next release - my guess is no. Sorry bro.
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: January 26, 2012, 10:59:43 pm »

No and no and not any time soon.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: January 27, 2012, 01:41:10 am »

Can someone tell me the pros and cons if I decide to change/replace all (except aquatic) the creature's biome tags with ALL_MAIN?

Also, I lowered down all the value for all the metals down by 1/3. How much more difficult would it be to bring down, let's say a dragon but without DRAGONFIREBREATH (basically a dinosaur)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: January 27, 2012, 01:52:25 am »

Can someone tell me the pros and cons if I decide to change/replace all (except aquatic) the creature's biome tags with ALL_MAIN?

Also, I lowered down all the value for all the metals down by 1/3. How much more difficult would it be to bring down, let's say a dragon but without DRAGONFIREBREATH (basically a dinosaur)?

Unicorns and badgers everywhere.

Not very, since some of the values do different things whether they're lower or higher.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: January 27, 2012, 01:57:09 am »

Pro: It spawns everywhere.
Con: It spawns everywhere.
So while it does indeed allow the creature to spawn everywhere, it also can knock other "valid" creatures out of biomes if there isn't enough room for them. This probably won't be a problem in most cases though.

Are you talking about all of the combat values? If so then it will basically mean that all of your weapons will do less damage then they normally would (which means that the dinosaur has many more chances to end your life horribly). Really the best way to find out is to start up the arena with the metals set like that and see if it works out the way that you want it to. If it does then great, if not tweak the values some more (the most important values here are the IMPACT_X and the SHEAR_X ones, the rest don't actually do that much or don't do anything at all currently). Also note that (just from a quick look at the raws) reducing some of the metals down to 1/3 places their values rather close to the values for bone, so it's possible that some metal types will be unable to damage bones any more (though they will still be able to hurt the tissue around it).

If you are talking about material value on the other hand, then it will have no effect on combat. The price that something sells for doesn't affect how good it is in battle at all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: January 27, 2012, 02:02:43 am »

Pro: It spawns everywhere.
Con: It spawns everywhere.
So while it does indeed allow the creature to spawn everywhere, it also can knock other "valid" creatures out of biomes if there isn't enough room for them. This probably won't be a problem in most cases though.

Are you talking about all of the combat values? If so then it will basically mean that all of your weapons will do less damage then they normally would (which means that the dinosaur has many more chances to end your life horribly). Really the best way to find out is to start up the arena with the metals set like that and see if it works out the way that you want it to. If it does then great, if not tweak the values some more (the most important values here are the IMPACT_X and the SHEAR_X ones, the rest don't actually do that much or don't do anything at all currently). Also note that (just from a quick look at the raws) reducing some of the metals down to 1/3 places their values rather close to the values for bone, so it's possible that some metal types will be unable to damage bones any more (though they will still be able to hurt the tissue around it).

If you are talking about material value on the other hand, then it will have no effect on combat. The price that something sells for doesn't affect how good it is in battle at all.

Yeah, I lowered down density, impact yield and all that fun stuff.

Thanks. This helped a lot. I was worried that certain biomes would be over populated and can remove other creatures, but as you said, it's not a problem on most cases.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: January 27, 2012, 02:27:16 am »

Well if you do it to all of the creatures then basically what the game will do is max out your population with creatures picked from all over the world. So you will probably still is have many more creature types then would normally be available, but you still won't have access to all of the creature types from only a single biome. Think of it this way in that in normal DF in a tropical biome you might get 15 different creatures. These creatures would be your basic tropical animals (elephants, lions, tigers, etc.) and then depending on where your fort is you might get a small amount of temperate creatures as well. When you add ALL_MAIN to all of the creatures, it basically means that you will now get the maximum number of types in your biome (say like 20 for example), but these creature types will be chosen randomly from all of the ones across the world. So you then might end up with arctic foxes, musk oxen, bears, and geese for example, regardless of the fact that normally some of those only live in the cold and some live in the tropics.

This will greatly increase the effect of starting fortresses on multiple biomes, however. This is because in vanilla sure you might have 15 creatures from one tropical biome and 15 from another, but maybe 10-13 of those creatures are the same. With this edit you make it so that even if you only get 15 from each biome, they might only have 1-2 in common, giving you an increase of 10-13 more creature types over what you would have had in vanilla. (Note that all of these numbers are just made up on the spot, but you get the idea I'm trying to say.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »

Does the true type support support extended character sets? I know TT isn't working well at the moment, but when it does get fixed, I was wondering if one could use a custom font to extend the tilesets beyond the 255 limit they currently have though embedding tiles as as extended characters. Unfortunately variable alpha wouldn't be available, but I could still see it being useful.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:41:44 pm by Tecknojock »

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: January 27, 2012, 01:05:44 pm »

unfortunately this is a similar reason to why mayday had to scale back his own tile set :/  toadys got so much information in the normal tiles it's become incredibly difficult to compress it all into the normal DFG. Hence his new tileset looking much less ... stylized. and more blocky and ASCII like.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99660.0;topicseen
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: January 27, 2012, 01:28:35 pm »

That's exactly why I'm asking. If TT support only allows a  basic character set, that frees up roughly 50 tiles with full alpha channel in the true graphics file. In addition to that, a basic character set supports 256 characters where about 100 of them will be reserved for letters, accents, punctuation, and OS comparability characters, leaving 150 2 bit tiles in the font file. If TT supports extended character sets, that gives us basically an unlimited number of 2 bit tiles to embed in the font.

I wonder if one could simulate a higher alpha bit depth by designing the font to be optimal at double the tile size and then letting the font scale down. (yes I know that fonts are vector files, but they still often have an optimal point size for display, sometimes several if the font has a couple display optimized files in addition to the font.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:38:17 pm by Tecknojock »
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 357