Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422422 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4725 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:35 am »

Try a green glass crossbow as a final product. I'm pretty sure that's the one that didn't work out of my attempt to make crossbows and bolts out of clay and glass.
Either crossbows or bolts.

The reaction finishes and the dwarf gets experience, but the item doesn't exist.
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW::GLASS_GREEN:NONE]
or
[PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS:GLASS_GREEN:NONE]

In the crossbow making reaction you have one too many ':'
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW:GLASS_GREEN:NONE] - fixed

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: January 06, 2012, 11:50:17 am »

Seriously?
Thanks, I thought it was weird that glass couldn't be used for crossbows. I looked over that product line a dozen times and still never caught that ::

Though it still works. If you want a training reaction just give it a valid product item and amount and make the material a blank entry (should default to NONE anyway, yeah?).

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: January 06, 2012, 01:11:55 pm »

I tried using [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW:GLASS_GREEN:NONE] and it gave me a crossbow made of green glass. Well anyways, I'm using this reaction: [PRODUCT:50:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOOK:NONE:NONE]. I didn't know that you need to make an item to get the exp, which makes it easier for me, 50% chance of success. I tried it on repeat and it works fine.

Now I just need a way to balance it. Right now one book = 10 logs. I might make it so that to train a skill you need 3 books and the product is still 50% but will yield only 1 book.

Making training reactions for each skill is so tedious and boring.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: January 06, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »

That Book has no material  :o you should have an
INORGANIC:ID /
CREATURE_MAT:CREATURE:MATERIAL /
PLANT_MAT:PLANT:MATERIAL /
GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:(reagent id):NONE

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: January 06, 2012, 01:41:17 pm »

Ohh, yeah, Forgot to add one. Guess I'll add this: GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE.

I'm going to take a break from training workshops and nerf trapcomp. I want it to wound, not kill. I guess I'll ask in the MASTERWORK mod to see how he did it.

EDIT: Actually, why do I need to add GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:xxx:NONE? I k'ed the book and it looks fine, and viewing the description, it just says 'This is a book.' Do I need to add a material for it? IF it doesn't have a material does it still get stocked in a stockpile?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:29:00 pm by Prologue »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: January 06, 2012, 03:46:10 pm »

Ohh, yeah, Forgot to add one. Guess I'll add this: GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE.

I'm going to take a break from training workshops and nerf trapcomp. I want it to wound, not kill. I guess I'll ask in the MASTERWORK mod to see how he did it.

EDIT: Actually, why do I need to add GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:xxx:NONE? I k'ed the book and it looks fine, and viewing the description, it just says 'This is a book.' Do I need to add a material for it? IF it doesn't have a material does it still get stocked in a stockpile?
No Material no stockpile, and plus it's weird. if you want you can create a material called I donno "Leather Bound" so you do a PRODUCT:50:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOOK:INORGANIC(or whatever your mat is):LEATHERBOUND

EDIT:
Also for nerfing trap comps lower the penetration size so [ATTACK:EDGE:100000:10:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1000] would most likely be a shallow cut.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: January 06, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »

I tried using [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW:GLASS_GREEN:NONE] and it gave me a crossbow made of green glass.
Hugo found an errant : that was turning my crossbows from material of GLASS_GREEN to NONE.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: January 06, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »

*snip* @ Raptor - Did you enable the ammo in your Entity file?

Yes, but that shouldn't be making a difference anyway, I was in Object Testing Arena.
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: January 06, 2012, 06:38:04 pm »

*snip* @ Raptor - Did you enable the ammo in your Entity file?

Yes, but that shouldn't be making a difference anyway, I was in Object Testing Arena.
Have you tried this again to make sure?
Because I see nothing wrong with your arrows because they are the same class (the class of ammo the bow uses) Do all humans (or broadhead arrow users) refuse to fire with Broadhead arrows?

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: January 06, 2012, 10:13:38 pm »

Hmm. I'm going to just put that down to a freak occurence, I've done some more tests and the performance of bodkin versus broadhead is what I wanted.

Broadhead arrows are much more likely to cause more damage on minor hits (arms, legs etc.) but they hardly ever do critical damage. One victim was shot in the head by a steel broadhead arrow and only suffered damage to the muscle and skin.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bodkin arrows do less damage overall, but are much more likely to do severe damage. Almost everything that dies from bodkin arrow wounds was 'shot and killed' (Shot in the head), as opposed to broadhead arrows, which were almost always 'bled to death'.

Summary of !!SCIENCE!! results: Broadhead arrows will be much more useful for novice archers or crossbowmen, while bodkin arrows will benefit from the increased accuracy of a skilled archer or crossbowman.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: January 07, 2012, 01:05:40 am »

Hmm. I'm going to just put that down to a freak occurence, I've done some more tests and the performance of bodkin versus broadhead is what I wanted.

Broadhead arrows are much more likely to cause more damage on minor hits (arms, legs etc.) but they hardly ever do critical damage. One victim was shot in the head by a steel broadhead arrow and only suffered damage to the muscle and skin.
Bodkin arrows do less damage overall, but are much more likely to do severe damage. Almost everything that dies from bodkin arrow wounds was 'shot and killed' (Shot in the head), as opposed to broadhead arrows, which were almost always 'bled to death'.

Summary of !!SCIENCE!! results: Broadhead arrows will be much more useful for novice archers or crossbowmen, while bodkin arrows will benefit from the increased accuracy of a skilled archer or crossbowman.
I would like to know how this was done? was it the [ATTACK] on the arrows? or the SIZE of them?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: January 07, 2012, 03:05:25 am »

I'm still having trouble getting the 'smoke' that comes from boulders that have boiling point of zero to rise up in z-levels.

I've modded sandstone so that it boils at 0. Here are the raws:

I put in a high density since I've read that it makes the 'smoke' last longer, or something. Anyways I've been using a cheating reaction that makes sandstones for free. With my dwarves at [SPEED:0] and set the task on repeat It produces a continuous amount of smoke, but it never seem to rise up in z-levels.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: January 07, 2012, 05:56:13 am »

I would like to know how this was done? was it the [ATTACK] on the arrows? or the SIZE of them?

Warning: Block of text incoming
[/spoiler]Bodkin arrows have a smaller contact area, and a larger penetration value. Broadhead arrows have a larger contact area, and a smaller penetration value.
Bodkin: [ATTACK:EDGE:2:3000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
Broadhead: [ATTACK:EDGE:10:1250:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]

[ATTACK:edge or blunt:contact area:penetration power:attack:attacks:NO_SUB:velocity of attack]

If the contact area is less than 50, the attack is handled like a 'stab'. If the contact area is 50 or more, the attack is handles as a 'slash'. Blunt weapons are aways a 'bash'.

A smaller contact area means it is easier to punch through armor and tissue, but causes less bleeding. If you get a large enough contact area, for example on a sword, you can sever limbs. Penetration power is how far into a victims body an attack goes. A higher penetration power means that it is easier to punch through a victims armor and tissue to reach vital organs.
NO_SUB is used when a non-'normal' part of a weapon is used. Eg. swords have a pommel bash, where 'NO_SUB' is replaced by 'pommel'. In the combat report, it will come up as 'Urist McSwordsdwarf bashes Goblin with the pommel of his Adamantine Short Sword, massaging the tissue and making the goblin feel relaxed' (Not exactly like that though, but with adamantine it does the same thing anyway)
Velocity is used with the ammo or weapons material density to create momentum, which interacts with penetration power.

Note: SIZE dosent actually have any effects on damage (as far as I can tell with ammo). In Fortress Mode, the size of a projectile decides how fast the reload time is. I'm unsure of what effect SIZE has on melee weapons though. (Time for some !!SCIENCE!! ?)[/spoiler]
Hope thats been informative

On a sidenote: Would it be possible to 'stack' items by using a reaction that takes say, 25 plump helmets and outputs 25 plump helmets? Using burrows, you could have the farmers store the unstacked crops in one stockpile, use the stack reaction, then haul the stacked crops off to a different stockpile. Bit of a micromanagement, and becomes obsolete when your farmers hit ledgendary, but I want to know if its possible, and what the reaction code for the raws would be?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: January 07, 2012, 01:09:50 pm »

lol You need to removed that "/" on the first spoiler, but yes that has been informitive.

As to your stacking question, I've tried that with ammo. There is no way of just "merging" two stacks, but you can use

Spoiler: Option A (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Option B (click to show/hide)

@Prologue
I'm not sure if boiled gas goes up z-levels, but does more density = more gas?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: January 07, 2012, 01:46:38 pm »

I tried it without the density tag and the gas was only 1 tile. With it it produces more gas, but I think there's a limit. I tried it with slade and the gas produced is the same when the density is set to 999999.

I want to make a gas chamber. I guess I'll just put it in the room and ignite the gas so that it boils.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 357