Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422776 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4290 on: November 05, 2011, 02:45:00 pm »

So, say I wanted to take the cat, and add a caste that is made of cotton candy, how would I go about doing this? I've got the other creature tokens I want in mind, so that's not a huge problem, and how to make them Adventurer Mode capable, but as to actually making the Adventurekitties, I'm a bit lost. I understand how [CASTE] works, since I got bored and modded in 7 different Dorf castes, but the whole thing together kind of loses me.

I tried the "Adamantine Dwarves" from the modding guide, but no dice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:32:11 pm by Ross Vernal »

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: November 05, 2011, 09:18:56 pm »

So, say I wanted to take the cat, and add a caste that is made of cotton candy, how would I go about doing this? I've got the other creature tokens I want in mind, so that's not a huge problem, and how to make them Adventurer Mode capable, but as to actually making the Adventurekitties, I'm a bit lost. I understand how [CASTE] works, since I got bored and modded in 7 different Dorf castes, but the whole thing together kind of loses me.

I tried the "Adamantine Dwarves" from the modding guide, but no dice.

What am I doing wrong?
do you have the "adamantine_materials" and "complex_tissues" body detail plans defined?
(assuming this is inserted as a subtype of cat.)
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: November 06, 2011, 12:36:43 am »

The females of my custom race are twice the size of the males.  However, they all can wear interchangeable clothing, and they all find human clothing small.  The males are the size of humans, so it shouldn't be a problem.... but it is.

Also, since they use all multigrasp weapons (no shields!), I've... well, I realize that they can hold two-handed weapons in one hand.  But that's... holding as an item, not as a weapon?  Would it be more accurate in two hands?  Or if it were actually two-handed for my size, would I not be able to hold it in one hand?

I'm mostly asking this for adventurer mode, but a bit for Fortress Mode.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: November 06, 2011, 01:31:54 am »

Yeah, they're all set properly.

CAT:Tissue layer not added because no BP found: BY_CATEGORY:CLAW:ADAMANTINE
CAT:Tissue layer not added because no BP found: BY_CATEGORY:FINGER:CLAW

I deleted that. I'm sure there has to be a better way to do this. On the test run, the Adventure Cat killed a wolf by slowly mauling it to death.

Boogeymen ripped the poor kitty apart, so I suspect the body and especially the claws aren't right.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: November 06, 2011, 07:44:19 am »

The females of my custom race are twice the size of the males.  However, they all can wear interchangeable clothing, and they all find human clothing small.  The males are the size of humans, so it shouldn't be a problem.... but it is.

Also, since they use all multigrasp weapons (no shields!), I've... well, I realize that they can hold two-handed weapons in one hand.  But that's... holding as an item, not as a weapon?  Would it be more accurate in two hands?  Or if it were actually two-handed for my size, would I not be able to hold it in one hand?

I'm mostly asking this for adventurer mode, but a bit for Fortress Mode.

I'm not sure about the interchangeable clothing.  My guess is that the game just takes the average for most situations and goes with that since there are no vanilla races with such extreme size difference one member to another.  That would also explain human clothes being small, as it's going by the average size, which if I'm reading it right would be 150% the size of a human.  Which is more than the difference between a human and a dwarf.

I also have a race that uses mostly multigrasp weapons, using them one handed still counts them as a weapon, but they have a big penalty to their rolls.  Back before the changes to materials Toady said that it puts a big '0.5 X ...' in front of all the calculations when using a multigrasp that way.  I imagine it's a similar modifier with the new system.  I think they only stop counting as a weapon if you are below the absolute minimum size.  But even then I wouldn't be surprised if adventure mode bends the rules for you.

It is possible to randomly be large enough to wield the weapon in one hand too, but there's no obvious way to tell.  Best bet in adventure mode is to just drop everything in your hands and pick up your weapon and see what it defaults to.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: November 06, 2011, 08:30:50 am »

How do I make exceedingly heavy ammunition, without having to touch the material/inorganic raws? I plan to make cannonballs for a small mod of mine, so I can make slow down it's users, because, cannonballs are heavy.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

abahaty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: November 06, 2011, 09:53:02 am »

Hi i wanted to ask and see if there is any way of making a workshop that can create armour or weapons without any reageants, as i have failed to succeed in doing this myself so far, just to know if it was possible?
:)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: November 06, 2011, 11:22:32 am »

Eugh. I was able to get rid of some nuisance by using this piece of code modified from the bronze colossus:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But this seems like overkill. I've added a Shale version of both materials and Tissues that only affects the skin to b_detail_plan_default and referenced them in the creature file, but they didn't show up until I did this, and made my creature 100% shale. And yes, I know this is Adamantine. The Shale version died just as fast, as normal, even though it properly said that shale parts of my creature were being chipped away. I wanted to see if it was -actually- changing the material proper of the creature.

Tried this. A night creature still killed me through decapitation. Maybe I should make the cats out of slade.

EDIT: I did. Still died of iron swords killing me. D<

How the eff do I make Adventure Kitties less, well, weaksauce?

Giant Adamantine Adventure Kitties!

might make their blood lava just to be sure

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:MALE_ADVENTUREKITTY]
[CASTE_NAME:adventure cat:adventure cats:adventure cat]
[DESCRIPTION:A large mammalian carnivore made of adamantine.  It is an omnivore.]
[MALE]
[AMBUSHPREDATOR]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:170000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:900000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:1700000]
[POP_RATIO:0]
[INTELLIGENT]
[CAN_LEARN]
[CAN_SPEAK]
[NOFEAR]
[LIKES_FIGHTING]
[PRONE_TO_RAGE:40]
[TRANCES]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[MAXAGE:40:120]
[TISSUE:ADAMANTINE]
[TISSUE_NAME:adamantine:adamantine]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ADAMANTINE]
[CASTE:FEMALE_ADVENTUREKITTY]
[CASTE_NAME:adventure cat:adventure cats:adventure cat]
[DESCRIPTION:A large mammalian carnivore made of adamantine.  It is an omnivore.]
[INTELLIGENT]
[AMBUSHPREDATOR]
[CAN_LEARN]
[CAN_SPEAK]
[NOFEAR]
[LIKESFIGHTING]
[PRONE_TO_RAGE:40]
[TRANCES]
[FEMALE]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:170000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:900000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:1700000]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[MAXAGE:40:120]
[POP_RATIO:0]
[TISSUE:ADAMANTINE]
[TISSUE_NAME:adamantine:adamantine]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ADAMANTINE]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:01:39 pm by Ross Vernal »

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: November 06, 2011, 12:45:44 pm »

I think they only stop counting as a weapon if you are below the absolute minimum size.  But even then I wouldn't be surprised if adventure mode bends the rules for you.

In adventure mode, if you pick up a weapon that you shouldn't even be able to wield it counts as you "hauling" it, like dwarves haul rocks in fortress mode. I think you can't aim attacks with it but you can still "counter strike" with it, but there are probably large penalties to your combat rolls.

How do I make exceedingly heavy ammunition, without having to touch the material/inorganic raws? I plan to make cannonballs for a small mod of mine, so I can make slow down it's users, because, cannonballs are heavy.

Bumping up the ammunition's size by a lot will slow down anyone carrying them significantly, but after a while it can start doing weird things when used in combat.

I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: November 06, 2011, 02:02:00 pm »

Does anyone know if it is possible to have multiple syndromes on one material? I'm talking say having one contact syndrome with its effects, and then having an inhaled syndrome with a completely different set of effects.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: November 06, 2011, 03:37:27 pm »

I don't want to do my homework, so instead let's all go pick some dandelions!

Spoiler: Dandelions! (click to show/hide)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: November 06, 2011, 03:48:29 pm »

Is it possible to implement this kind of crutch for creature ranged projectile attacks:

-Make an intelligent creature with several castes.
-Give one (only one) caste graspers.
-Make an entity for this creature.
-Add a reaction to aquire a material, and to make a ranged weapon and ammo from this material, to the entity.
-*IMPORTANT*: Make all the creatures of the grasping caste have unarmed AND ranged combat skills. Make all other castes have unarmed combat skills. And make the grasper caste carry the ranged weapon. Possibly, all creatures of this caste.

Result: When a siege shows up, there's creatures of different castes, all able to fight either with natural attacks or (the grasper creatures) with natural attacks AND ranged weapons.

Example:
A vile force of darkness has arrived! You zoom in and see a collection of Zerg Zerglings (who all have nothing on them) and Zerg Hydralisks (who all have a Needle Spine Hurling Thingy and... a quiver, full of Zerg Chitin Needle Spines).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:54:35 pm by Valikdu »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: November 06, 2011, 03:53:37 pm »

In multi-caste races, siege/ambush/thief/merchant bodyguard units are a random collection of all castes, equipped randomly with one of the weapons (and armors) the entity can make (I think. Kobolds bring all metals, dunno if they can craft it at all...). If they have only one weapon, they'll either bring that or come as wrestlers. Worth testing, at least.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: November 06, 2011, 05:26:05 pm »

hello, i know that a lot of people already implemented gunpowder but i can't manage to do it myself, my idea was ta add a reaction that use potash(saltpeter),characoal and any alchoolic beverage(sulphur)  to make a gunpowder barrel, the problem is that i never managed to write down the "any alchoolic beverage" as reagent, can anyone help?
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: November 06, 2011, 08:28:26 pm »

I added [SETTABLE] to a custom skin entry as to simulate 'repair' for a mod I'm working on. If it were to break, would a doctor set the skin back in place via a traction bench? Or would it just sit there?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 357