Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422882 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4200 on: October 28, 2011, 04:36:43 pm »

In order to retain the creature name, the material has to be defined in the creature.  Chicken heart is called chicken heart because it's heart-type material defined in the chicken creature (actually, imported from the heart tissue template, but importing a material template counts as defining a new material).  If you've managed to make a custom animal that drops a stone or gem when butchered, that stone or gem will only retain the material name if it's material is defined in the creature raw.  Unfortunately, in order to be recognized by your smelter or jeweler's shop, gems and stones have to be defined in the inorganic material raws, so one defined in your creature won't work.  The only way to make it work is to create a completely new material in the inorganic material files called 'chicken rubies' or whatever, and have the creature material use that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: October 28, 2011, 04:51:36 pm »

In order to retain the creature name, the material has to be defined in the creature.  Chicken heart is called chicken heart because it's heart-type material defined in the chicken creature (actually, imported from the heart tissue template, but importing a material template counts as defining a new material).  If you've managed to make a custom animal that drops a stone or gem when butchered, that stone or gem will only retain the material name if it's material is defined in the creature raw.  Unfortunately, in order to be recognized by your smelter or jeweler's shop, gems and stones have to be defined in the inorganic material raws, so one defined in your creature won't work.  The only way to make it work is to create a completely new material in the inorganic material files called 'chicken rubies' or whatever, and have the creature material use that.

Ah, so I can't just make a generic stone and then have the names appended on to it. Would it instead be possible to create a custom reaction that changed the heart (or any other body part defined like the heart) into a stone that was usable? So that the creature would drop 'creature name stone' but the only thing you could do with it would be a custom reaction that changed it to a proper stone just called 'name stone'?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: October 28, 2011, 04:58:01 pm »

Sure, plenty of people have done similar things in the past in order to simulate a "souls" mechanic or other various things.

Ok new question now: If I combine the LOCALIZED and the BP:BY_CATEGORY: tags in a syndrome can I get something that only has an effect if it hits that particular body part? To be more precise I'm trying to create a pepper dust that will cause pain and loss of sight if it hits someone's eyes, but will have no effect otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:17:21 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: October 29, 2011, 01:33:39 am »

Ok, I'm going to be creating a new race to replace my golems for fortress mode. my question is how does descriptions work, and how can i make them show up on the descriptions page? I've tried looking at the other races, but I cant make heads or tails of it.
Place [DESCRIPTION:write description here] tokens under the [CREATURE:WHATEVER] token to describe creatures generically. You can also place them under [CASTE:WHATEVER] tokens to have different descriptions per caste.

Or do you mean the whole "his long hair is brown" and similar?

Yeah, the "his long hair is brown" thing. Although its also useful to have the [DESCRIPTION:write description here] token. I tried looking over the other creatures again....still incoherent to me...
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:15 am »

I suggest you have a look at the dwarf creature entry. The dwarves seem to utilise the description system to it's fullest as compared to other creatures and Toady has described how it all works.  I'm not sure if I could explain it in full but if you let me know what you're trying to do I can help you with that.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: October 29, 2011, 05:12:27 pm »

I'm wanting to make rabbits and cavies give butchering returns, since both kinds of animals were originally domesticated as meat animals IRL. Is size the only factor I'd need to change in their raw entries?

Rabbits are usually bigger than guinea pigs, so I was thinking size 3000 (equal to chickens) for rabbits and size 1800 (a smidge larger than guineafowl) for cavies, and also to switch their grazing requirements. Would this work?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: October 29, 2011, 05:23:54 pm »

Yep

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4207 on: October 29, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

A size 1500 cavy is still too small to yield any meat.  A size 2000 cavy will give 4 bone, 6 meat, 6 fat, a skull and a skin.

A size 3000 rabbit will give 6 meat, 6 fat, 4 bone, a skull, one unit of prepared intestines, and a skin.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: October 29, 2011, 05:32:02 pm »

That sounds about like what I was aiming for! Thanks for helping!

ETA: I also made ducks size 2000 as long as I was hacking domestic animal files.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:36:13 pm by proxn_punkd »

Zyzivix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: October 29, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »

How would I go about making it harder to cut the limbs off of something, I've been looking at the properties of different tissues and I'm  not sure if what I need to change is there or somewhere else.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: October 29, 2011, 08:35:51 pm »

You could make the limb larger thus requiring a weapon with a larger cutting area to sever the part (try cutting off the neck of one of the current freakishly think neck giraffes to see what I mean) or you could increase the shear yield of the tissues that make up the part, which is basically making the part more difficult to cut in general.

If you still want the part cuttable but more difficult to sever making the creature's bone materielhave a higher shear yeild while keeping the other tissues the same might do the trick.  Cutting flesh, but deflecting the strike at the bone, preventing a sever.

Never tried to do that myself though, those are just things that should work in theory.  Others might have other more elegant solutions too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zyzivix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: October 29, 2011, 08:43:20 pm »

massively increasing the yield of all the parts of the bone had an interesting effect, every hack attack I throw at the thing "glances away". I'll look into it more when I can, thank you

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: October 30, 2011, 02:06:25 am »

I suggest you have a look at the dwarf creature entry. The dwarves seem to utilise the description system to it's fullest as compared to other creatures and Toady has described how it all works.  I'm not sure if I could explain it in full but if you let me know what you're trying to do I can help you with that.

Well, the race I'm making is a desert dwelling race(deserts are sadly empty to me), im planning on using the human's descriptors to make it easier for me, but I don't know how to make each of them have differing bone coverings(anime reference for those who don't know), and how to give them differing tattoos.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:08:46 am by Sanure »
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: October 30, 2011, 08:52:53 am »

I was wondering what these two meant in relation to ranged weapons:
[SHOOT_FORCE:1000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000] 

EDIT: Also curious about these as well:
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: October 30, 2011, 08:59:38 am »

I was wondering what these two meant in relation to ranged weapons:
[SHOOT_FORCE:1000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000] 

It's the velocity of the projectile when it's launched by the weapon. Jack it up to 1000000 and see what happens. ;D
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 357