Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423182 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3885 on: September 04, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »

I've been thinking of making some more "advanced" armors/weapons for my mod, that are going to be made via reactions so I can justify their increased usefulness by making them harder to make...

But the problem I have is I'm not really sure what defines a "better" armor or weapon. Especially for armor, I can't really think of ways to improve upon the existing stuff. For weapons, I forget which tokens are the ones you want to increase to do more, and which actually do better if they're lower.

Any pointers?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: September 04, 2011, 01:37:11 pm »

I've been thinking of making some more "advanced" armors/weapons for my mod, that are going to be made via reactions so I can justify their increased usefulness by making them harder to make...

But the problem I have is I'm not really sure what defines a "better" armor or weapon. Especially for armor, I can't really think of ways to improve upon the existing stuff. For weapons, I forget which tokens are the ones you want to increase to do more, and which actually do better if they're lower.

Any pointers?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Metal#Weapon_.26_Armor_Quality

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: September 04, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »

I've added several custom plants to the game, several of which work perfectly fine, as part of a larger mod. One of them is giving me grief.
I'm trying to make a plant called "Tundra Rye". I know it's in the game because some of my dwarves like it, and "Rye Spirits", the alchohol distilled from it: calling it Vodka sounded too "IRL", ya know?

I also changed above-ground plants to be seasonal, and so Tundra Rye would be one of the few plants that could be grown in the winter.

I want it to grow not only in Tundras, but also in other cold, plains-like areas, so this is what I added for the biome:
[WET][DRY][BIOME:COLD][BIOME:FREEZING][BIOME:ANY_TUNDRA][BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND][BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND][BIOME:ANY_SAVANAH] (may have spelt some stuff wrong here, but that's not the issue)

My questions:

First off, I'm opperating on the asumption that [WET] allows it to grow on wet areas, instead of preventing it from growing on dry areas. If somebody could confirm that, it'd help a lot.

Secondly, I know the [NOT_FREEZING] tag exists, so I'm assuming its inverse, and the [COLD] versions also exist.

Finally, is [BIOME:ANY_TUNDRA] an acceptable tag?

Please advise.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:49:20 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: September 04, 2011, 02:47:48 pm »

A rather complicated question:

(rest of post)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you have no idea how to do this, no idea whatsoever, it's probably too advanced for you to atempt. You'd need ~6 custom reactions, three custom workshops, two custom skills, and two custom item templates, not to mention the physics of getting a bullet to interact appropriately. It's also a bit long for somebody to offer help on all of it at once. Write up a plan for what needs to be done and how to do each step, and take it one bit at a time. This IS a pretty big mod, and posting all of it here is somewhat akin to posting "How do I play this game" in the Little Questions thread.
(Also, sorry if that first bit sounded dickish, it's not intended to)
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:34 pm »

The bit about the cannon siege engine cannot be done with the current version.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:35 pm »

It's not too advanced. Just one step at a time.

I mean, I've had worse. Multiple problems, constant workarounds, and that's all in my first mod. This is fully doable for a first-time modder. Just look up what you need one step at a time.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: September 04, 2011, 04:22:29 pm »

According to testing body_detail_plans will only take up to 5 arguments (should probably go on the wiki), and as such I ended up creating 4 plans for all 20 different materials. Here they are, my detailed vertebrae plans:
Spoiler: Detailed Plans (click to show/hide)

So normal tissues would use these lines:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any material without a body part isn't put into corpse so Ivory and hoof doesn't show up on dwarf corpses. I don't really have any questions, I'm just putting out my results.

Spoiler: Forgotten Detail_Plan (click to show/hide)

Edit:Woops! I missed the horn tissue. So now I've got a nearly redundant detail_plan, dwarfy! [Long Edit:Realized I missed the bone in the horn and it bugged me]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:30:55 am by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: September 04, 2011, 06:32:40 pm »

No, franti, I'm not using custom skills, just giving the crafters a custom profession name.

Actually, instead of making another tool, I'm just going to make a metal blow-gun as a reagent.

I dunno. I'm going to have to figure out how to do this on the weekends. School's about to start in a day, and I have to start worrying about that.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: September 09, 2011, 08:51:49 pm »

probably been asked before, but search came up empty, Can equipment (other than sheilds, of course) add body parts? picture something like the winged hussars..

I suspect the idea might have to wait for gear damage to be implemented, but, can;t hurt too much to ask.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: September 09, 2011, 09:49:37 pm »

Hey guys.  I want to add paper, and I want to see if the reactions and stuff I've made will work.  Can anyone check through my raws and see if they look okay?  Mainly I want to know if I will actually be able to make "bars" of paper from pulped wood, which I can then make into paper sheets or use for other purposes.

Spoiler: the paper template (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: inorganic:paper (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: the reactions (click to show/hide)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: September 10, 2011, 12:08:55 am »

Test it yourself! :P

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: September 10, 2011, 12:50:25 am »

Test it yourself! :P

Aww, I was afraid you'd say that...  :P
Arena testing, at least, I can do.  I had to change the files significantly just to get paper usable as a material for weapons and armor.  It's about as useful as you'd expect.
One other issue that I caught fairly quickly was that the reactions, as set up, would have made 150 bars of paper, rather than just one.

On a different note, is there a way I can add a new type of fuel?  I was thinking of combining paper and logs into those firestarter-logs you can get.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

LittleD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:23 am »

It is possible to have two [ELECTED] positions that will not end in one person sharing two titles?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: September 10, 2011, 12:57:17 pm »

Descriptors, how do they work?
I'm playing around with desriptors but nothing seems to work.
For the sake of example lets take the Incubus/Succubus mod(what I've been praticing with), I can change a succubuse desription, but I can seem to add those descriptions to other people.
What do?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: September 10, 2011, 09:58:38 pm »

Edit:thread's pretty abandoned, gonna try and fix it myself.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:38:32 pm by Orangebottle »
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 357