Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423231 times)

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3870 on: September 04, 2011, 01:24:36 am »

It's also in the RAW_ADAMANTINE definition, and is the only thing that links raw adamantine to adamantine metal thread.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: September 04, 2011, 01:27:03 am »

Yes, which may be a problem, since it's never going to be a rock...

whoop, I forgot to mention that the thread is going to come straight from some sort of sheep >_>

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: September 04, 2011, 01:35:15 am »

Give the sheep metal hair?   Or don't - either way, all you really need is a smelter reaction that melts the thread into a metal of your choice.  There's nothing special about adamantine thread.  Even though it's made of metal, thread is a raw material, and can't be marked for melting, so the raw-specified reaction in reaction_smelter.txt is the only reason you can make adamantine thread into wafers.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3873 on: September 04, 2011, 02:05:44 am »

Nope using BLOWGUN instead of BLOWGUNNER still didn't work, and I'm pretty sure that for profession names you have to use what it displays the skill as (Ex: ENGRAVER, MINER) instead of the skill token itself (Ex: DETAIL_STONE, MINING). Since that's what I did with previous profession names and it worked, just can't get blowgunner to work.
You can only use the [PROFESSION_NAME:...] on skills that have the word 'man' in them like "Fisher'ma'" and Spear'man' so on a so forth. I know its a bummer As I wanted to rename Blowgunner aswell. but I'll have to change bowman instead.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: September 04, 2011, 03:38:53 am »

Just a really tiny question: How can I mod in a new reaction, to spawn free iron anvils?
I KNOW I've added reactions before, but I've forgotten how... :-\

Still can't work this out. I can't even find anvil when searching the raws.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: September 04, 2011, 04:10:33 am »

1. Iron and Steel have this tag : [ITEMS_ANVIL] which you should be able to add to other materials

2. [PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NONE:INORGANIC:STEEL]

^ Shaostul's guide has just about everything. I just googled it. Note you do not need to add  [ITEMS_ANVIL] to a material if using a custom reaction.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:12:05 am by Reelyanoob »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: September 04, 2011, 07:39:16 am »

Yes, which may be a problem, since it's never going to be a rock...

whoop, I forgot to mention that the thread is going to come straight from some sort of sheep >_>
If the sheep's hair is made of the metal (edit it's tissue definition's TISSUE_MATERIAL) it should shear off metal thread. To make it into cloaks and stuff add [ITEMS_SOFT] to the material, for it to appear in the thread stockpile add [STOCKPILE_THREAD_METAL]. I hope this helps.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: September 04, 2011, 09:03:28 am »

I added several new plants, one of which works fine, and two of which may or may not work fine: not sure.
One is supposed to only grow in cold environments. I added [BIOME:ANY_TUNDRA][COLD][FREEZING] to it to ensure that, but are these tags legit and will it work?
The other plant is supposed to grow in wastelands/badlands, so I added [BIOME:ANY_WASTELAND][BIOME:ANY_BADLANDS] and embarked on one, but I couldn't find any to pick up.
o
My main question: what does the [FREQUENCY:xxx] tag do for plants? Their chance to be found in the wild? The chance you'll get something when you harvest them?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:30 am »

Nope using BLOWGUN instead of BLOWGUNNER still didn't work, and I'm pretty sure that for profession names you have to use what it displays the skill as (Ex: ENGRAVER, MINER) instead of the skill token itself (Ex: DETAIL_STONE, MINING). Since that's what I did with previous profession names and it worked, just can't get blowgunner to work.
You can only use the [PROFESSION_NAME:...] on skills that have the word 'man' in them like "Fisher'ma'" and Spear'man' so on a so forth. I know its a bummer As I wanted to rename Blowgunner aswell. but I'll have to change bowman instead.
I actually got the blowgunner profession to work just use [PROFESSION_NAME:BLOWGUNMAN:xxx:xxx] and it works.

I added several new plants, one of which works fine, and two of which may or may not work fine: not sure.
One is supposed to only grow in cold environments. I added [BIOME:ANY_TUNDRA][COLD][FREEZING] to it to ensure that, but are these tags legit and will it work?
The other plant is supposed to grow in wastelands/badlands, so I added [BIOME:ANY_WASTELAND][BIOME:ANY_BADLANDS] and embarked on one, but I couldn't find any to pick up.
o
My main question: what does the [FREQUENCY:xxx] tag do for plants? Their chance to be found in the wild? The chance you'll get something when you harvest them?
I'm not totally sure if all those tags work, they look valid, but if you check the wiki for biomes it should tell you which are valid and which are not.
And I'm pretty sure that the way the frequency works is that if a plant has [FREQUENCY:20] it has twice as much chances as being chosen compared to a [FREQUENCY:10] plant, so if you want it to appear more put higher numbers (I think the highest you can put is 100, I might be wrong though), and one way you can test to see if it will appear is by using DFhack's prospector function since you can get it to tell you all the different plants that are currently growing on your embark.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: September 04, 2011, 11:49:52 am »

A rather complicated question:

I plan on modding in a couple of primitive firearms (hand-cannons, muskets), early artillery (cannons), and complex ways of producing ammo for them.

The ammo for the musket will have to go like this:
1) I must burn a tree at the wood furnace to make a block of charcoal.
2) I also must burn another tree to make a block of ash.
3) Then, a dwarf builds an ashery to turn the ash into a block of potash.
4) Yet another dwarf must build the Saltpeter Beds workshop (Civ Forge) to turn the potash into a boulder of saltpeter.
5) The block of charcoal is hauled to a quern or a mill and ground up with the saltpeter--turning into 'a stack of 10 gunpowder'-- and is transferred to an empty bag.
6) Bullets (count as a type of toy) are then cast at a custom workshop, the Foundry, and the bag of gunpowder, a unit of cloth, and the bullets are hauled off.
7) 50 cartridges are then made at the clothier's workshop.

The recipe for hand cannon ammo is mostly the same, except that hand-cannonballs (still a toy) must be cast, instead of bullets.

The recipe for cannon ammo is the same as above, but any random stone will do for ammunition.

The components for each firearm must also be cast, but for the cannon, it needs two pipe sections.

For a Hand-Cannon to be made:
1) A dwarf forges a pipe section.
2) Another dwarf carries a log to a craftsdwarf's workshop and carves it into a musket stock (wood crafting)
3) The Gunsmith (weaponsmith with custom profession name) carries the Pipe Section and the musket stock to the Gunsmith's Shop (custom workshop).
4) The gunsmith then attaches the pipe section to the musket stock to create one Hand-Cannon (gains skill in smithing weapons).

For a Musket to be made:
1) The Founder (furnace operator with custom profession name) takes a metal bar to the foundry and casts a Gun Barrel (tool).
2) The founder hauls another metal bar and casts five Gun Mechanisms (yet another toy).
3) A Weaponsmith forges a Bayonet from another metal bar (weapon, obviously).
4) A wood-crafter carves out another Musket stock (forgot to mention it's a tool).
5) The gunsmith hauls the gun barrel, one gun mechanism, the bayonet, and the musket stock to his shop and creates one Musket.

To make a cannon (siege engine):
1) A Metalsmith forges two pipe sections.
2) The same metalsmith then forges a mechanism.
3) A Siege Engineer makes two catapult parts.
4) The two pipe sections are then welded together at the foundry by the founder to make a Cannon Barrel.
5) When needed, the catapult parts, the cannon barrel, and the mechanism can be combined to make a mighty cannon.

Only problem is, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how to do ANYTHING I've typed. Does anyone else know what to do?

Sorry for the long post.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: September 04, 2011, 12:07:46 pm »

That all seems perfectly workable. It all seems like basic reaction work.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Reaction

This is probably the most exhaustive guide around for reactions. It's super groovy!

Also, I have to ask: how would I go about making a metal a material in the definition? Would I just define a [MATERIAL:METALWOOL] whatsit into the b_detail_plan jigger, or would I have to fumble around with [INORGANIC:METALWOOL] as I already have?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: September 04, 2011, 12:20:36 pm »

Also, I have to ask: how would I go about making a metal a material in the definition? Would I just define a [MATERIAL:METALWOOL] whatsit into the b_detail_plan jigger, or would I have to fumble around with [INORGANIC:METALWOOL] as I already have?
Placing this
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE:HAIR]
    [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
before the material selection in sheep would give them steel wool (har har). When creatures are made what the tissues are made of define their materials. So the second one.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: September 04, 2011, 12:35:29 pm »

I wouldn't be incorrect in assuming that, when basing a material on a real-life metal that isn't in the game, unknown values such as shear strength can be substituted by a metal within the same family/group (E.G zirconium/titanium), right?

BETTER QUESTION: If I were to make geese lay coal, would the coal come in full bars, or in 150th bar chunks?

Also: Damn, does all metal protect against hooves so well? I wasn't expecting my frankenstein indium/aluminum metal to be so good with that!

...how does a sheep strangle another sheep when they have no grasping parts

AND ANOTHER QUESTION: If a domestic animal can be sheared, will its wool always be available to civs that have access to said domestic animal?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:24:43 pm by Putnam »

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: September 04, 2011, 01:29:43 pm »

...how does a sheep strangle another sheep when they have no grasping parts

It was probably lying down and using one of its legs.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: September 04, 2011, 01:29:58 pm »

Question I have seen a few people mention that it is possible to make ammo out of a material that will boil at the internal temperature of a creature, I'm not totally sure what the exact temperature is, I found [HOMEOTHERM:10067] and I think that is the temperature so I set the boiling point to 10060. I can't seem to get this to work, even when the arrow gets lodged in the wound it still doesn't boil.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 357