Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422832 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3705 on: August 25, 2011, 12:14:17 pm »

how do i get a plant to be like underground ooze?  but have a safty of evaporating after a long while (or does weather do that?).
Plants can only be herbalism-gathered or burned by a grassfire (or fire breath or magma). Plants will not ooze around like a liquid. Plants cannot evaporate.
Can't even modify plants to appear in tight clusters; the biome determines the spacing between plants.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: August 25, 2011, 09:43:37 pm »

I'm thinking of adding in a bookmaking industry for my mod but, well, rather then tinker and experiment myself... well, I'll just ask here.

My plan is to use leather to turn into vellum (I think that's the proper term?), I'm using... Vyok? Errr, I forget his name right now, but he made a mod to classify leather as just animal, rare, and exotic... not that I'm sure that matters. But it should be possible to make a reaction that would turn leather into vellum, which could be then turned into books?

I'm also considering making some books be used for skill training, and I wonder if there's anyway to make a 'training workshop' yield more experience? What determines how much experience you gain from using it exactly?

Also with that book reaction, I could make it just a trade good right? Is it possible to even allow the game to use the books to stud with gems or anything like that?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: August 25, 2011, 09:51:19 pm »

How exactly do the weapon damage calculations work?  For example, is
Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:EDGE:6000:6000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1750]
[ATTACK:EDGE:40:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:60000:6000:slap:slaps:flat:1750]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1250]

better than
[ATTACK:EDGE:60000:6000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:3000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:60000:6000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]
?

Arena testing seems to suggest so, but I really don't know why that should be.

(The first is a katana I'm adding in, the second is the original longsword)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: August 25, 2011, 10:07:44 pm »

Plants can only be herbalism-gathered or burned by a grassfire (or fire breath or magma). Plants will not ooze around like a liquid. Plants cannot evaporate.
Can't even modify plants to appear in tight clusters; the biome determines the spacing between plants.
but they have burn and freeze mesurements in the raws... and no not wanting tight clusters or gathering.  just a wild plant that would have some sort of substance on them that is a brief paralysis to a certain creature (none of the common ones already in game).

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: August 25, 2011, 10:20:28 pm »

How exactly do the weapon damage calculations work?  For example, is
[ATTACK:EDGE:6000:6000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1750]
[ATTACK:EDGE:40:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:60000:6000:slap:slaps:flat:1750]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1250]

better than
[ATTACK:EDGE:60000:6000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:3000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:60000:6000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]
?

Arena testing seems to suggest so, but I really don't know why that should be.

(The first is a katana I'm adding in, the second is the original longsword)

I'm not really sure, but my weapons research suggest that if the contact area is tighter (first numerical value), and the penetration size is large (second numerical value), the thing is more likely to stab through bodyparts, but make the contact area just a bit high (like your 6000 value for that slash attack), then the weapon is gonna be more effective at lopping off limbs and bisecting. The last numerical value is attack velocity. Making it VERY HIGH (10000) will make the weapon VERY LIKELY to cut of limbs, provided the contact area is just large enough, and likewise, the penetration size is large enough.

EDIT: Of course, the above statement applies only to edge attacks. Penetration size does not matter, according to the wiki, with blunt attacks. Velocity will make the thing swing harder though, and break more bones and organs.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:22:09 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3710 on: August 26, 2011, 12:58:57 am »

I'm thinking of adding in a bookmaking industry for my mod but, well, rather then tinker and experiment myself... well, I'll just ask here.

My plan is to use leather to turn into vellum (I think that's the proper term?), I'm using... Vyok? Errr, I forget his name right now, but he made a mod to classify leather as just animal, rare, and exotic... not that I'm sure that matters. But it should be possible to make a reaction that would turn leather into vellum, which could be then turned into books?

I'm also considering making some books be used for skill training, and I wonder if there's anyway to make a 'training workshop' yield more experience? What determines how much experience you gain from using it exactly?

Also with that book reaction, I could make it just a trade good right? Is it possible to even allow the game to use the books to stud with gems or anything like that?

You are correct with the Term Vellum, In my mod I'm letting the use of two ways to makes paper, one is processing wood into pulp then pressing it to make paper. And i'm going to cheat and use leather as well, altho acually vellum is made from raw skin, and not that of tanned (leather) skin. So I'm jsut going to use leather and lime to make Vellum, this should help you with Vellum making.

[REAGENT:skin:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [REAGENT:lime:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:LIMESTONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PAPER:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:skin:NONE]
   [SKILL:(tanning or your choice)]

Now I should really be making a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VELLUM_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] that would be placed somewhere (not sure yet, still learning how to use [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT properly) but that should give you a push in the right direction, happy testing

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: August 26, 2011, 06:19:13 am »

You are correct with the Term Vellum, In my mod I'm letting the use of two ways to makes paper, one is processing wood into pulp then pressing it to make paper. And i'm going to cheat and use leather as well, altho acually vellum is made from raw skin, and not that of tanned (leather) skin. So I'm jsut going to use leather and lime to make Vellum, this should help you with Vellum making.

[REAGENT:skin:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [REAGENT:lime:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:LIMESTONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PAPER:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:skin:NONE]
   [SKILL:(tanning or your choice)]

Now I should really be making a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:VELLUM_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] that would be placed somewhere (not sure yet, still learning how to use [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT properly) but that should give you a push in the right direction, happy testing

You could also use the following lines as reagent and remove REAGENT:skin to make it more realistic:
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT]

And then use the following tag in product line: GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:TAN_MAT.

This way the raw skins are used and you don't have to tinker with material raws. Of course, if you want to make vellum, then you must turn the automatic tanning off from options.

About the terminology, vellum is right, though it is classified as higher quality parchment, as can see from wiki.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: August 26, 2011, 09:19:46 am »

Thank you Hugo and Kipi! I will have to work on conducting the fun sometime. I may tweak it around a bit, I'm not too sure if I want the whole thing to depend on you having a ready access to limestone - especially when you can't really tell what kind of flux you have until you embark. (Limestone is listed as flux in pre-embark right? I mean, it counts as a flux... thing)

Or I guess I could also work on that alchemy angle or something. I really have been neglecting that aspect...

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3713 on: August 26, 2011, 09:39:05 am »

In the vellum making I'd go with the always-avaialble lye instead of limestone powder. Chalk is also usable says Wikipedia.
I'd add the wetland sedge plant "Papyrus" to the world if I wanted more books getting made. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3714 on: August 26, 2011, 10:01:56 am »

In the vellum making I'd go with the always-avaialble lye instead of limestone powder. Chalk is also usable says Wikipedia.
I'd add the wetland sedge plant "Papyrus" to the world if I wanted more books getting made. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus
This will help my Mod out farther with this tasty tidbit. Also I believe I will be using Chalk and Lye in the vellum reaction (but like I said I kinda want to cheat and use leather as I don't want to have to micromanage my tanning/vellum industrys)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: August 26, 2011, 11:09:08 am »

Alright, now I'm gonna be able to forage berries. Here are the RAWs for each:

Wild Strawberries
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fisher Berries

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: August 26, 2011, 12:23:00 pm »

Alright, now I'm gonna be able to forage berries. Here are the RAWs for each:

Wild Strawberries

Fisher Berries

PLANT_MAT requires two things following it - the id of the plant (you have this) and then what plant material you want to use (you don't have this). PLANT_MAT:<id>:STRUCTURAL is probably what you want to use.

Also, FOOD is used for prepared meals and pulls its subtypes from the raws, so without specifying a subtype I think you're going to randomly get things like strawberry biscuits and strawberry roasts. What you probably want to use instead of FOOD:NONE is PLANT:NONE - this is the item type that dwarves in drawf mode get when harvesting plants. The plants you picked are edible raw so this shouldn't be an issue.

Just to recap, I'd change it to, for example, [PRODUCT:100:5:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:BERRIES_FISHER:STRUCTURAL].

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: August 27, 2011, 02:14:21 am »

Okay, I'm making plastic, which is made from rock nut oil.
Does someone know if this reaction will work?

Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: August 27, 2011, 02:46:01 am »

kind of had this come to me in a dream.. could it be possible to have a [deep_special] with properties of wood? and if so, would it be as, Fun?
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: August 27, 2011, 03:02:51 am »

kind of had this come to me in a dream.. could it be possible to have a [deep_special] with properties of wood? and if so, would it be as, Fun?

It would be essentially wood that spawns where raw bluemetal normally does.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 357