Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422849 times)

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3615 on: August 16, 2011, 12:32:32 pm »

In that case, do not add the wood material to your new plant. If you add the wood material to your new plant (with USE_MATERIAL or USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE) then you will have two types of wood. Instead, where you have [BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD] now, use [BASIC_MAT:PLANT_MAT:TOWER_CAP:WOOD].

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: August 16, 2011, 12:40:18 pm »

You're doing a few things wrong.

1) Nowhere in your plant def is there a [REACTION_CLASS:GET_WOOD_FROM].  This would need to be on one of the plant's mats for it to qualify for the reaction you made.
2) It can't be on one of the plant's mats, because you're trying to use the WOOD mat from the TOWER_CAP as your plant's WOOD mat.  This doesn't work because you can't use an existing mat inside a plant/creature and change its properties (even if the game allows it, that's not kosher because it would also change the properties of the existing mat on that other plant/creature).
3) Your USE_MATERIAL tag isn't actually specifying TOWER_CAP:WOOD, because TOWER_CAP isn't a material classification, it's a subtype.  You would need to use PLANT_MAT:TOWER_CAP:WOOD, although there's no need to use tower-cap wood for your plant's BASIC_MAT, and instead you should be using a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT that refers directly to the tower-cap wood mat, since you want the produced logs to be 100% the same as tower-cap logs (re-defining the material with USE_MATERIAL or USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE will never have that result).

So instead, don't define a WOOD mat in your plant - use the normal plant STRUCTURAL template for its BASIC_MAT (same as all other plants and trees), and give it a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:LOG_MAT:PLANT_MAT:TOWER_CAP:WOOD].  This gives it a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT called LOG_MAT that refers directly to tower-cap wood.  Then your reaction should look something like this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PROCESS_SMALL_TREE]
[NAME:process small tree]
[BUILDING:WOOD_REGEN:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:LOG_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:LOG_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SEED]
[PRODUCT:25:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SEED]
[SKILL:CARPENTRY]
I also changed your seed products to SEED sub-mat, otherwise they would be made out of the plant's structural material.

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: August 16, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »

Ok, I've got a custom tool that's used only for constructing a custom building, and can only be built using a custom reaction from a very specific set of materials, meant to make it somewhat challenging or expensive to build or acquire.  It works as expected for the most part.

The problem I'm having is in trying to insure that it isn't available at embark or from the caravans, and that it can't be built from metal at the forge.  I assumed from the honeycomb definition that this was as simple as omitting the [HARD_MAT], [METAL_MAT] etc tokens, but apparently having any reaction whatsoever that can produce a tool means that said tool is available to that entity's embark and caravans, comprised of absolutely every stone and metal, and can be created at the forge under tools.  I assume the honeycomb isn't doing this because it's not in an actual reaction, and is only produced as a HIVE_PRODUCT in the honey bee creature raws?

Is there any way to prevent this from happening, or am I limited to applying a REACTION_CLASS to the materials that this tool is supposed to be made from, to prevent the cheap and easy imported versions from being used in construction?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3618 on: August 16, 2011, 01:05:29 pm »

Ok, I've got a custom tool that's used only for constructing a custom building, and can only be built using a custom reaction from a very specific set of materials, meant to make it somewhat challenging or expensive to build or acquire.  It works as expected for the most part.

The problem I'm having is in trying to insure that it isn't available at embark or from the caravans, and that it can't be built from metal at the forge.  I assumed from the honeycomb definition that this was as simple as omitting the [HARD_MAT], [METAL_MAT] etc tokens, but apparently having any reaction whatsoever that can produce a tool means that said tool is available to that entity's embark and caravans, comprised of absolutely every stone and metal, and can be created at the forge under tools.  I assume the honeycomb isn't doing this because it's not in an actual reaction, and is only produced as a HIVE_PRODUCT in the honey bee creature raws?

Is there any way to prevent this from happening, or am I limited to applying a REACTION_CLASS to the materials that this tool is supposed to be made from, to prevent the cheap and easy imported versions from being used in construction?

Since you helped me I'll help you out (I would regardless :P) do not include the [TOOL:(your custom tool)] in the entity file, even with a reaction to make it, they still don't use it cause their civ doesn't have it as a basic tool. Even if you have a [PERMITTEN_REACTION:(make custom tool)] they won't make it because they don't have [TOOL:(custom tool)]

I do this to make my candles, mine carts, carts, focus crystals, and wheels. Only tools I have allowed to be made is Alters, [TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_ALTER] and that lets me embark with them. Hope that helps :)

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:46 pm »

Yes, it does.  It didn't even occur to me that honeycomb wasn't in the entity file, nor that you can create an item via reaction that also isn't in the entity file.  Cool.

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: August 16, 2011, 02:12:30 pm »

Welp, now I have another embark/caravan-related problem.  I've got ore powders (comprised of separate INORGANIC materials) as intermediate reagents in a reaction chain, and I have the reactions themselves working fine, but you can both embark with them and order them via caravan, and the quantities are different in both cases.

My reaction currently produces 1 unit of 150 powder in one bag, and that's what you get when you order them on embark.  Everything's fine like this until the caravan brings bags of them, and much like with plaster, the bags the caravans bring have 10 units of 150 powder each.  This wouldn't be the end of the world, as the price is still per-unit, and using one of these bags in a single-bag reaction produces 10x product (as my reagent tags don't have [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]).  However one of my reactions requires two different bags of powders.  If one bag has 10 units, and the other has 1, it still only produces 2 units (as specified in the reaction), and 8 are lost.

I tried to fix this by dividing the powder materials' density and value by 10, and multiplying the output of the grinding reactions by 10, but the embark-available bags still come with powder quantities of 1, and these bags cannot be used in the reaction at all (which now expects 1500 powder per bag).  An improvement, as it only affects embark, but still annoying.  Is there any way to change this?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3621 on: August 16, 2011, 02:35:38 pm »

I think that if you put [DEEP_SPECIAL] in the material definition, it will stop caravans from showing up with the material.  You might find the stuff appearing in place of candy spires, however, so I'd test this out with dfreveal to make sure it's not doing anything strange.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3622 on: August 16, 2011, 02:46:49 pm »

[REAGENT:powered ore:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:ORE]?

Could you post the reaction? lol, Also with my plant to logs, It works up till a point. The logs are Correct (thank you very much Mikey) but the seeds that are made Are just that "Seeds" not Tower-Cap Spores. As a just test I changed the ending SEED with NONE. If that fails I'll use the same thing that was used for the WOOD [MATERIAL_REACTION] for the SEEDs.

Also I worked with BARs and they are consider 150 as well

my mine cart reaction works fine with just
   [REAGENT:bar:1:BAR:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:METAL]

Now the reaction_class:metal is to avoid confusion with ash, coal, soap and what have you that can be made into a bar (Also I tend to love the function REACTION_CLASS makes everything so much easier :))

Oh and to respond to Sphalerite's post as well, just make this ore, rock have no enviroment (doesn't appear anywhere) and make it so it can only be made through reactions (now of course that defeats the purpose of mining it, or embarking with it, or trading for it as noone can get it)

Unless the issue is that due to the entity having the PERMITTED_REACTION automatically gives them access then, I'm stumped :(

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: August 16, 2011, 05:21:50 pm »

There is a wonderful way to test this theory. Test it :P
And kindly post the results.
so far it seems that either i have not found the right [PRECEDENCE] value, or you can not have a position appointed by a variably assigned position.  it might be that my custom position cannot be assigned because it has a lot of responsibilities.  perhaps the variable positions token disallows defined positions after it that hold the same responsibilities.

i am unsure if i want to test further as my intent was to have an immigratable auxiliary  monarch.  seems i'd have to define positions rather than use variable ones, and i think this may be more than i'm willing to change.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: August 16, 2011, 06:46:45 pm »

I got the gretchins to work right! Thanks Guys :P. Ze Orks seem to be working( As creatures, I havn't gotten to civs yet). Now Im having trouble with guns.
Ammo
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gun
The Gun appears in arena mode, the bullets do not.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: August 16, 2011, 06:49:57 pm »

I got the gretchins to work right! Thanks Guys :P. Ze Orks seem to be working( As creatures, I havn't gotten to civs yet). Now Im having trouble with guns.
Ammo

Gun

I refuse to assist in this mod until the names are fixed.  There is no bullet - only dakka.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: August 16, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »

Ammo

Gun

I refuse to assist in this mod until the names are fixed.  There is no bullet - only dakka.
Aye you git, dem humies use bullets too, but wez orks know deyz called dakka.
( I will make words like gun and bullet dakka in my custom language file for da boyz :D)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: August 16, 2011, 08:32:03 pm »

Ammo

Gun

Aye you git, dem humies use bullets too, but wez orks know deyz called dakka.
( I will make words like gun and bullet dakka in my custom language file for da boyz :D)

Close enough.  [CLASS:BOLT] needs to be [CLASS:BULLET] and [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLTS] needs to be [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BULLET]. 

Also worth noting that your [SHOOT_MAXVEL] and [SHOOT_FORCE] are very, very low for a firearm-type weapon (I would recommend values of 10000 or slightly more for both).

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »

Close enough.  [CLASS:BOLT] needs to be [CLASS:BULLET] and [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLTS] needs to be [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BULLET]. 

Also worth noting that your [SHOOT_MAXVEL] and [SHOOT_FORCE] are very, very low for a firearm-type weapon (I would recommend values of 10000 or slightly more for both).

So what you're saying is...
he needs MORE DAKKA!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: August 18, 2011, 02:06:35 pm »

So what you're saying is...
he needs MORE DAKKA!

And he has to paint it red.  But yes, that's the essence of it.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 357