Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422951 times)

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3570 on: August 11, 2011, 05:44:57 pm »

[PERMITTED_JOB:FURNACE_OPERATOR] and [METAL_PREF], I believe, not including the item tags.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: August 11, 2011, 05:55:57 pm »

[PERMITTED_JOB:FURNACE_OPERATOR] and [METAL_PREF], I believe, not including the item tags.

Thankyou for confirming. I will double check they have that and see how it goes next load of testing.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: August 11, 2011, 06:52:27 pm »

Okay I got another question here. I made two new castes in my creature, and In the arena in the list to spawn creatures it shows them by different (correct) names. But after they are spawned they all have the same name displayed. Is this a bug just in arena mode or did I do something wrong when I made the castes?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: August 11, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »

Okay I got another question here. I made two new castes in my creature, and In the arena in the list to spawn creatures it shows them by different (correct) names. But after they are spawned they all have the same name displayed. Is this a bug just in arena mode or did I do something wrong when I made the castes?

The arena names individual creatures using the creature name rather than the caste name.  If they're showing up with the right names in the creature list, they're working just fine.  In fortress and adventure mode, the creatures will show up under the correct (caste-level) names.

If you're still unconvinced, you can test this for yourself by spawning a lion and lioness  (this is a stock creature) in the arena.  While in the arena, they will appear as "lion 1" and "lion 2," despite the difference in caste, but will appear as "lion" and "lioness" everywhere else.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:50:18 pm by narhiril »

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: August 11, 2011, 08:13:50 pm »

If I changed [METAL_PREF] to [METAL_PREF:BRONZE] will I get a civ that only uses bronze, or only uses it for military functions?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: August 11, 2011, 08:39:19 pm »

All that [METAL_PREF] does is make each member of that entity have a favorite metal.  Like, when you examine a dwarf who likes "sandstone, gold, blah blah" the "gold" is there because of the [METAL_PREF] token.  If you want an entity to only use a specific metal, you have to get a little bit creative.  The best way to do this is to remove the furnace operator labor from their permissions and to assign them a custom workshop with a metal-generating reaction.  Forbidding furnace operators will ensure that this is the only way they will be able to acquire metals - without doing this, all civilizations will have access to all base metals (copper, silver, iron) as well as any alloys that they are given reaction permissions for.

Let me give you the raws from one of my civilizations that does this.

Spoiler: building_npc_lfr.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: reaction_npc.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: add to entity (click to show/hide)

Obviously you can replace steel with whatever metal you want.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:41:37 pm by narhiril »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:46 pm »

Here's a question: is there any way to make the bones of animals the same item? I.e., there's not a "dragon" bone or "cat" bone, there's just a "animal bone", with only the one type of bone showing up in the refuse stockpile.

I've worked on several methods to homogenize products (i.e., leather and tallow) but bone is something direct from the animal, so my previous methods are not reusable.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: August 11, 2011, 11:40:25 pm »

Here's a question: is there any way to make the bones of animals the same item? I.e., there's not a "dragon" bone or "cat" bone, there's just a "animal bone", with only the one type of bone showing up in the refuse stockpile.

I've worked on several methods to homogenize products (i.e., leather and tallow) but bone is something direct from the animal, so my previous methods are not reusable.

Sure - create a dummy creature to hold your bone material. Add the bone material to it. In every other creature, do not add bone material (edit the body detail plan even). For bone tissue, make it use CREATURE_MAT:DUMMY_CREATURE:BONE for the material instead of the usual LOCAL material.

This is the same way I'd do leather/tallow... I'm curious how you did it without doing this!

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: August 12, 2011, 12:41:29 am »

Alright ran into another problem I can't seem to solve. I'm trying to get my creature to drop a masterwork longsword when it dies but no matter how I do it, I can't get it to work I've tried
Code: [Select]
[ITEMCORPSE:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
[ITEMCORPSE:ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
[ITEMCORPSE:ITEM_ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
[ITEMCORPSE:ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
No matter how I make it I can't get it to work and I keep getting an error  (Or something similar)
ABOMINATION:COMBATANT:Unrecognized Item Token: ITEM
ABOMINATION:COMBATANT:Unrecognized Material Token: ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG

What am I doing wrong and how can I get it to work?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: August 12, 2011, 12:44:39 am »

Alright ran into another problem I can't seem to solve. I'm trying to get my creature to drop a masterwork longsword when it dies but no matter how I do it, I can't get it to work I've tried
[ITEMCORPSE:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
[ITEMCORPSE:ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
[ITEMCORPSE:ITEM_ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
[ITEMCORPSE:ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
No matter how I make it I can't get it to work and I keep getting an error  (Or something similar)
ABOMINATION:COMBATANT:Unrecognized Item Token: ITEM
ABOMINATION:COMBATANT:Unrecognized Material Token: ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG

What am I doing wrong and how can I get it to work?
[ITEMCORPSE:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:ELEMENTIUM]
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: August 12, 2011, 12:45:52 am »

Sure - create a dummy creature to hold your bone material. Add the bone material to it. In every other creature, do not add bone material (edit the body detail plan even). For bone tissue, make it use CREATURE_MAT:DUMMY_CREATURE:BONE for the material instead of the usual LOCAL material.

This is the same way I'd do leather/tallow... I'm curious how you did it without doing this!

That *is* how I've done leather / tallow... wouldn't removing bones from the body plan mean that butchering yields no bones?

Actually, I guess we won't know until I try. Time for some !!science!!

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: August 12, 2011, 12:46:41 am »

Okay thanks, and related question, can you have something drop two items on its death? or can It only ever drop one?

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: August 12, 2011, 12:51:00 am »

For masterwork quality on the sword, set [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:X] to 5. Not sure about getting it to drop two things on death, but you could make different castes of your creature that drop different things.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: August 12, 2011, 01:17:12 am »

Hmm yeah you can only get one item to drop per creature, so I guess I would have to give each caste a seperate drop. If you had to choose between the two which type of weapon would you prefer? A slade mace? or a sword that is slightly worse than adamantine?

Also is there anyway to get something to drop a barrel of booze when it dies, I wouldn't be surprised if there is not.
And also for weapon materials is the only thing that influences it's ability to cut well it's [MAX_EDGE:X] tag?

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: August 12, 2011, 01:42:04 am »

That *is* how I've done leather / tallow... wouldn't removing bones from the body plan mean that butchering yields no bones?

Actually, I guess we won't know until I try. Time for some !!science!!

You're not removing the TISSUE bone from the body plans - just altering it to use a different material. Since you never add the bone material to cats or dragons, you can never have cat or dragon bones (or preferences for them, woot!) - just your generic "animal bone". And your cats and dragons still have a bone material for their bone tissues, it's just a material that belongs to another creature (the dummy creature).

I went through and started doing this for all materials for all creatures but stopped after the first few creature files. On the one hand it would be nice to not have mandates for squirrel tooth items, for example ("animal tooth" gives so many more possibilities!), but part of the fun is getting such absurd requests.

Still, if you release this when you're done (as I see you have the leather modifications) I'll probably give it a shot. Sometimes simplification is relaxing and lets you focus on other aspects of the game more fully.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 357