Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422982 times)

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3540 on: August 10, 2011, 06:45:01 am »

So would I do this [SELECT_MATERIAL:BONE] and then after it just list the tags that I need from steel?

And how would I go about doing it by changing the tissue?

EDIT: Also if I make the bones function as steel will this also change the skull to steel? or will the skull also use the new bone materials?

An easier way to improve a creature material using an existing material is to simply remove it and re-define it after the material body detail plan is invoked - so immediately following [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS], you would do:
Code: [Select]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:BONE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE:INORGANIC:STEEL]
This gives you actual steel bones, without having to manually specify all of steel's properties.  If you still want it to act as bone for purposes of item-making, and insure against the material's density affecting speed, do this immediately afterward as well:
[SELECT_MATERIAL:BONE]
[BONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:500]

Thickening an existing tissue layer should be a bit simpler - immediately after [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES] do something like:
[SELECT_TISSUE:BONE]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
..or whatever thickness you'd like, where 2 is the default.

And yes, the skull is just a body part that uses the creature's bone tissue definition, and therefore bone material definition.

Edit: If you change a material that comprises a body part that's used for an attack, e.g. TOOTH, NAIL, etc it should determine the armor penetration capabilities of that part.  Just keep in mind that of these, only TOOTH is defined in the STANDARD_MATERIALS body detail plan, and the rest are usually manually defined and assigned to the appropriate body part further down in the creature definition.  Look for an existing [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:NAIL:...] tag, and point it to INORGANIC:STEEL (or LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BONE, if you've already modified the BONE mat) instead.

If you plan on modifying multiple creatures in a similar way, it's probably worth creating new BONE, NAIL, SKIN, SCALE, and CHITIN material templates, and maybe even a new materials BODY_DETAIL_PLAN, as that'll save a bunch of work in the long run.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:53:50 am by Mikey »

spriksprak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 10, 2011, 07:13:50 am »

Ah, well, at least we gave it a good shot.

Yeah cheers for trying it out  :D - I'm going to play around with some of the body materials and see if that yields any results.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: August 10, 2011, 12:20:52 pm »

An easier way to improve a creature material using an existing material is to simply remove it and re-define it after the material body detail plan is invoked - so immediately following [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS], you would do:
I tried this and it gave me an error saying "Unrecognized Material Template: INORGANIC"

And the part to guarantee that it doesn't slow them down said "Unrecognized token SOLID_DENSITY"

EDIT: Hmm one other question when trying to make a body part have a secretion do I have to tell it which tissue to secrete or can I just select the body part?
[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD]
will this work or do I have to add skin in there someplace?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:54:31 pm by Fallen Flame »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: August 10, 2011, 02:07:12 pm »

Ok, I've come across a really wierd problem. Recently, any body parts I add (even internal) melt when they come in to contact with extracts and similar, which have no effect on anything else. These parts are only ever made up of skin and muscle etc... what could be the problem?!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: August 10, 2011, 07:27:44 pm »

I tried this and it gave me an error saying "Unrecognized Material Template: INORGANIC"
Remove "_TEMPLATE"

Then it'll take a full INORGANIC:STEEL as an argument.
And the part to guarantee that it doesn't slow them down said "Unrecognized token SOLID_DENSITY"

Hmm... try again with the correction above?  ???

EDIT: Hmm one other question when trying to make a body part have a secretion do I have to tell it which tissue to secrete or can I just select the body part?
[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD]
will this work or do I have to add skin in there someplace?

Might have to say HEAD:SKIN yeah. Might not. I've only ever done full body secretions, but again try it out. Should show up in the error_log really quick if it's a problem.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: August 10, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »

I ended up going about it this way
[SELECT_TISSUE:BONE]
[TISSUE_NAME:bone:bone]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]

And yeah for secretions I found that you had to list it as
[SECRETION:INORGANIC:STEEL:SOLID:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:SKIN]
and two other questions, when telling the secretion token what body parts to use, how can I use the BY_TYPE argument? like what types are there, tried searching couldn't find out.

And is there any way to get a secretion to go just the right arm/hand I can only get it to do both left and right.

EDIT: Also I can't seem to get any sort of creature tile to display for my creature. No matter what I put it just comes out as a little dot, any idea why?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:43:18 pm by Fallen Flame »

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: August 10, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »

Whoops, yeah, as Eldrick pointed out, you need to use USE_MATERIAL for defined materials (metal, stone, plant mats, existing creature mats, etc).  That should also fix the SOLID_DENSITY issue, which was occurring because the material wasn't being selected (because it was removed without actually being re-added).

Assigning steel as the tissue material is an ok way to go about it, as long as you don't mind it not having the [BONE] tag, meaning that they can't be used for making bone items.  They should actually be steel though, so you may be able to melt them?  I'm not sure about that.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: August 10, 2011, 08:28:22 pm »

Well I may add the BONE tag later it doesn't look like that would be too hard to do, and another question, If I make it so that one body part (such as talons) and then define it's material as a metal with a very high temperature, and a low ignition point, when it is put into the creature will the body part, be the temperature designated in the material itself? Or will I have to change the temperature again?

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: August 10, 2011, 08:45:16 pm »

The creature material inherits any properties of the material assigned to it, so yes, it should keep its thermal stats.  The creature might also need [FIREIMMUNE] to not be harmed by its own flaming material.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:28 pm »

Will there be visible smoke produced? how exactly can I tell if its working?

And will making it hot and burning have any effect in combat? such as setting the enemy on fire or burning clothes and stuff?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:04:40 pm by Fallen Flame »

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: August 10, 2011, 09:11:43 pm »

That I couldn't tell you, because I've never tried it.  However, there are a bunch of mods with burning metals, so it must do something?  Obviously it will at least behave like a burning piece of lignite, where it ignites anything else flammable that it contacts (wood, plant fiber, etc), but I'm not sure if it will actually hurt another creature in context of combat.  Magma isn't on fire, but it is quite hot and takes some pretty solid contact to start melting skin/fat/etc.

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: August 10, 2011, 09:46:43 pm »

Yeah that's sorta what I thought was going to happen, I'm hoping it will be able to set clothes and stuff on fire though.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: August 10, 2011, 09:50:06 pm »

Time for some !!SCIENCE!!

Go forth, my DF modding brethren, and come back with your results!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: August 10, 2011, 09:58:27 pm »

Wow total facepalm... I used [SPEC_HEAT] instead of [MAT_FIXED_TEMP] to try to make it hot, no wonder I wasn't seeing it burning people, even when turning it into armor and covering people with it...

EDIT: and another... just remembered I turned temperature off...

I still can't get it to burn anyone... I have no idea why not anyone see any problems with this?
[INORGANIC:ORIHALCUM2]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:fire]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:fire]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:fire]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:4:6:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:60]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:55000]
[IGNITE_POINT:50440]
[MELTING_POINT:51000]
[BOILING_POINT:58000]
[ITEMS_ARMOR]
[SOLID_DENSITY:40000]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:90000]
[MOLAR_MASS:100000]
[IMPACT_YIELD:1750000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:2500000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:675]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:1750000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:2500000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:675]
[TENSILE_YIELD:1750000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:1750000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:200]
[TORSION_YIELD:1750000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:1750000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:200]
[SHEAR_YIELD:1750000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:1750000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:200]
[BENDING_YIELD:1750000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:1750000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:200]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:08:46 pm by Fallen Flame »

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: August 10, 2011, 10:55:55 pm »

Well, for one, your melting point is below your ignite point and your fixed temp, when it should probably be above.  Also, your temp values are insane - try something around ~12000 instead, which is magma temp.  I don't know how the game reacts to temperature values that high.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 357