Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423033 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3480 on: August 07, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »

I've been having some issues making my games... dangerous. I've genned up worlds with titan requirements of 40 (or 30) with only 50,000 created, yet my current game is at 60+ and about 150,000 created wealth... nothing still. Did something change since .18? I had games in that one where I got harassed by goblins, and even kobolds, a lot and was even attacked by kobolds before.

Haven't seen any sign of kobolds in .25, what happened to them?

On top some more mod-related questions!

1. Are whips still kind of "broken" in that they basically slice everything to ribbons? I'm not sure if I want to keep them in my mod or not if they are.

2. What happens if you remove the ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT exactly? Will they only drink water, or will they still use booze, they just don't get the negative aspects of lacking booze? Curious here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: August 07, 2011, 04:36:34 pm »

2. Without it, they don't grumble about lack of booze/drinking the same booze all over. They will be still able to drink booze, it will just have the same... priority(?) like water.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:36 pm »

If I rember correctly, the kobold-preferred biomes don't generate food in worldgen. so you have to give them [NOEAT][NODRINK] if you want them to survive.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: August 07, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »

Hmm, I've seen that they will still prefer booze exclusively over water if available but they won't slow down work like dwarves do if they don't have it.

However it is possible for such a creature to become alcohol dependent if they drink nothing but booze for a long period of time.  Which causes them to slow down when they don't have it, and have the "needs alcohol to get through the working day line in their description" just like a dwarf.   It seems they will lose it again if they go for quite a long time without booze after that point but I haven't tested that thoroughly.

For the whips thing, they are kind of broken, they are not undefeatably powerful, but they are superior to most other weapons due to the mechanics playing with their values oddly. Probably be a good idea to just run some arena scenarios with whips to judge for yourself.   

Kobolds die out by year 4 in almost every worldgen in the current version.  They rely on stealing food to sustain themselves, and usually don't have anyone close enough to steal from before they all starve.   Mod Kobolds to have [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] like the goblins do and they'll live through worldgen.  ninjas.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: August 07, 2011, 04:56:17 pm »

Ah that explains the kobold problems. I remembered another question!

I'm planning to add in some new plants, and I know if I make it underground I can embark with it, but what if I make it aboveground? Is there a way to make aboveground seeds selectable at embark? Or is it safer to just make it underground? (Even if rice or tea plants don't make a lot of sense for an underground crop)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: August 07, 2011, 05:00:12 pm »

Giving your civ [OUTDOOR_FARMING] will allow them to embark with aboveground plants.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: August 07, 2011, 05:02:10 pm »

Giving your civ [OUTDOOR_FARMING] will allow them to embark with aboveground plants.
Ah, thanks! Now if I could only fix the problem of random aboveground rock tiles ruining my farm plots by not letting me make perfect squares and rectangles! There isn't anyway is there?  :P

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: August 07, 2011, 05:07:01 pm »

Ah, thanks! Now if I could only fix the problem of random aboveground rock tiles ruining my farm plots by not letting me make perfect squares and rectangles! There isn't anyway is there?  :P

Flood them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: August 07, 2011, 05:09:20 pm »

Sorry.  You can build a dirt road to clear plants and saplings from a spot and build the plot there once it's done to get around shrubs and saplings, but there's not much that can be done about boulders besides doing something dwarfy to muddy them.

^ Like a flood for example.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: August 07, 2011, 05:17:50 pm »

I have a question about invaders.

Is there any way to increase the number of squads an entity brings to siege you with? I haven't been able to find any entity token that effect that (unless I'm missing something very obvious, which is not unlikely), and I can't seem to find anything helpful on the wiki. One thing I've been trying is giving the civ a lot of military nobles with very large personal squads in an attempt to get them to bring them when they siege you, but I don't really know what determines when civs decide that they need to send their law-giver after you and since they don't get any more generals elected after world gen ends it's a very temporary solution. I don't even know if they'll bring their personal squads with them.  :-\

Would something as simple as buffing their population a lot work? I haven't done a lot of science, I'm mostly just brainstorming at this stage.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55:29 pm »

I guess this is the best place to post this, but I have been having some trouble getting some of my modded plants to work properly. I took plants from different mods and made up a few of my own and put everything together in one set of raws before genning a new world. However, despite my best efforts, several plants aren't selectable for planting. I'm in a tropical conifer biome (The plants in question, like all my modded plants, are set to grow in all non-freezing biomes), I have the proper seeds, am in season according to the raws, and I've made sure the seeds are unforbidden and accessible to my planters. In addition, the seeds exist (obviously) and I used a smelter (I've been editing the adamanitine wafers entry to spawn things I can't be bothered to make) to spawn some of the plants, so they exist too. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the problems? The raws of the problem plants are as follows:

Plant 1: Henna
Code: [Select]
[PLANT:HENNA]
[NAME:henna][NAME_PLURAL:henna][ADJ:henna]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[PICKED_TILE:231][PICKED_COLOR:2:0:1]
[GROWDUR:300][VALUE:2]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILL:PLANT_POWDER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:henna dye]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:AUBURN]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:1:0:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:20]
[POWDER_DYE:AUBURN]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[MILL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[SEED:henna seed:henna seeds:6:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:nice flowers]
[WET][DRY]
[BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL]
[SHRUB_TILE:34]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:34]
[SHRUB_COLOR:2:0:1]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:0:0:1]

Plant 2: Peppercorns

[PLANT:PEPPERCORN]
[NAME:peppercorn][NAME_PLURAL:peppercorns][ADJ:peppercorn]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[PICKED_TILE:232][PICKED_COLOR:0:0:1]
[WET]
[BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
[GROWDUR:800][VALUE:3]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILL:PLANT_POWDER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:black pepper]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BLACK]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:20]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[MILL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:peppercorn seed:peppercorn seeds:0:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:20]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:hard shells]

These are the only plants that I'm absolutely certain don't work. There are others that I am unsure of, but I won't post those unnecessarily.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: August 07, 2011, 09:38:09 pm »

I'm trying to apply a harder material / thicker tissue to a scorpion's stinger specifically, so that it has a chance to pierce armor without making the rest of the scorpion's chitin tougher:
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STINGER_MAT:HARD_CHITIN_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:STINGER_TISSUE:HARD_CHITIN_TEMPLATE]
[SELECT_TISSUE:STINGER_TISSUE]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:STINGER_MAT]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER:STINGER_TISSUE]
Is this correct?  I have both the material and tissue HARD_CHITIN_TEMPLATE defined in the appropriate files (with impact/shear parameters similar to metals), and it's not producing errors, but it's difficult to tell from arena testing whether or not it's taking effect, since the scorpions seem to rarely hit with their stinger (when they bother to use it).
Quoting because this was on the end of the last page, and I still can't confirm whether or not it's working.

I'm also curious as to how you would assign new tissues to a multi-tissue bodypart.  I understand how body detail plans work, but is there a way to define or re-define a multi-tissue bodypart within a creature definition without having to create a new BP_LAYERS body detail plan for it?  Can BP_LAYERS simply be used anywhere in a creature definition, presumably after its initial body detail plan has been assigned?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: August 07, 2011, 11:41:16 pm »

Does anyone know of a way for me to turn skulls into regular pieces of bone that I can use for other stuff?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: August 08, 2011, 02:23:38 am »

okay, too much headache to read too much, so I'm just gonna put this here: how would I go about getting my dwarves to learn to make hair thread into hair cloth? I was inspired by a) a post in DF General about unicorn hair and b) an FB that left some hair behind when I butchered it, which I want to make into a cloak and give it to my militia commander.
くコ:彡

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: August 08, 2011, 03:42:20 am »

In .25 you already can spin yarn into hair cloth IIRC.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 357