Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423069 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3435 on: August 01, 2011, 07:16:57 am »

the tags I used to specify that the [CONTAINER] in the first needs to be metal will work as intended
As far as I'm aware, there's no way to limit the container material to only metals.  METAL, INORGANIC, and STONE as the primary material type are all aliases for INORGANIC.  Even so, using INORGANIC:NONE for the material part of the container reagent tag should at least prevent wood from being used, but I could be wrong about that (I'm not really sure whether or not PLANT_MATs are considered INORGANIC or not).

So if I create a new container item that can only be metal, can I specify the name of that container?  i.e. [REAGENT:C:1:LARGE_BARREL:NONE:NONE] where the "large barrel" is a new item only made of certain metals?

Also, do I need to create a new item/object entry for the "alumina slurry"
Yes, you need to at least create a new material definition for the alumina slurry in inorganic_other.txt, making sure that the case of the material name in the reagent matches that of the material definition.

In that case, do I need to replace the [IS_STONE] tag (i.e. from the plaster definition) with an [IS_GLOB] tag?

- Your aluminum bar product tag doesn't really make any sense, and seems to be copied from a reagent tag?  See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Reaction#Products for the proper format for products.
- You also definitely want [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] on the bar product, since a normal bar of metal has 150 hidden internal quantity (much like globs, powder, etc).

I don't want a bar as a product, I want a unit of unrefined ore, how do I specify that?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: August 01, 2011, 07:23:00 am »

- Your aluminum bar product tag doesn't really make any sense, and seems to be copied from a reagent tag?  See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Reaction#Products for the proper format for products.
- You also definitely want [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] on the bar product, since a normal bar of metal has 150 hidden internal quantity (much like globs, powder, etc).

I don't want a bar as a product, I want a unit of unrefined ore, how do I specify that?
BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:ALUMINUM_NATIVE should do.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: August 01, 2011, 07:52:00 am »

Hello again,

Is there a good place to go to find out what numbers give which colors? I'm trying to create a custom building whose appearance is the same as the smelter.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3438 on: August 01, 2011, 07:56:04 am »

Is there a good place to go to find out what numbers give which colors? I'm trying to create a custom building whose appearance is the same as the smelter.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Color
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Syncing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:00 am »

Hey, I got a few questions.
Currently I translate DF into German. But there are a few things I don't know:

1. What use has the following piece of code:

Code: [Select]
[PREFSTRING:rounded tops]
(taken from plants_standard.txt @ plump helmet)
I can't understand it's meaning.

2. Is it possible to translate the ingame text, not only the items/creatures/etc?
Like the main menu and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.

~Sync

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: August 01, 2011, 09:27:03 am »

prefstrings are the reason that dwarves like things. "Urist McMiner likes plump helmets for their rounded tops."

I don't know if it's possible to translate the menus and whatnot, given that they're probably hardcoded.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: August 01, 2011, 09:28:32 am »

I don't know if it's possible to translate the menus and whatnot, given that they're probably hardcoded.
What about data/announcement?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: August 01, 2011, 09:29:23 am »

The only thing I know how to change on them is how they appear. Frequency, in boxes, pause the game, recenter the game on event, and things like that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: August 01, 2011, 11:42:40 am »

A somewhat odd question here.

Is it possible to make a race that's only gender consists of females? The obvious problem I foresee is that if you let worldgen run, they'll die out due to the inability to reproduce. And there isn't anyway to make them reproduce is there? I doubt they could even marry to somehow make that work or something...

Just a random thought I'm having as I work on my mod.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3444 on: August 01, 2011, 11:44:22 am »

Creatures in DF need male and female castes in order to reproduce.

You could always make a race with males and females, but make the male cast incredibly rare to non-existent.  That would probably allow them to survive in world gen while ensuring you'd never see males in actual gameplay.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: August 01, 2011, 12:16:22 pm »

Creatures in DF need male and female castes in order to reproduce.

You could always make a race with males and females, but make the male cast incredibly rare to non-existent.  That would probably allow them to survive in world gen while ensuring you'd never see males in actual gameplay.

I have tried tweaking the male to female ratio, but I swear the RNG spites me and is just like "HERE, HAVE A BUNCH OF MALES."
It's not a huge issue, other then the fact the custom race I'm using is well... a female icon. So the men just look funny since they're basically all women, only male for gameplay mechanics.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: August 01, 2011, 01:57:15 pm »

You should be able to set pop_ratio for males to 0 and have the civilization still work, in my experience.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3447 on: August 01, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »

1) MISC_WEAPON is the token you're looking for.
Nice one, thanks.

2) Dig out a room for a farm plot just beneath the surface.  Remove the ceiling.  Replace the ceiling with constructed floors.  Any farm plots built in this room will count as "above ground," even though they're safely underground beneath your indestructible artificial roof.
I meant it more in the sense of, can my dwarves be modded to have access to aboveground crops as well as underground ones on embark, and for purchase from the caravan?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: August 01, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »

1) MISC_WEAPON is the token you're looking for.
Nice one, thanks.

2) Dig out a room for a farm plot just beneath the surface.  Remove the ceiling.  Replace the ceiling with constructed floors.  Any farm plots built in this room will count as "above ground," even though they're safely underground beneath your indestructible artificial roof.
I meant it more in the sense of, can my dwarves be modded to have access to aboveground crops as well as underground ones on embark, and for purchase from the caravan?

[OUTDOOR_FARMING] to dwarven Entity. Add it.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: August 01, 2011, 02:52:53 pm »

the tags I used to specify that the [CONTAINER] in the first needs to be metal will work as intended
As far as I'm aware, there's no way to limit the container material to only metals.  METAL, INORGANIC, and STONE as the primary material type are all aliases for INORGANIC.  Even so, using INORGANIC:NONE for the material part of the container reagent tag should at least prevent wood from being used, but I could be wrong about that (I'm not really sure whether or not PLANT_MATs are considered INORGANIC or not).

So if I create a new container item that can only be metal, can I specify the name of that container?  i.e. [REAGENT:C:1:LARGE_BARREL:NONE:NONE] where the "large barrel" is a new item only made of certain metals?
The reagent line is [REAGENT:id:quantity:item token:material token]

Item token is item type:item subtype.

Depending on what type of item you made your large barrel (guessing tool, here) that part would be TOOL:LARGE_BARREL. You can't make up your own item types, those are hardcoded. So your line from above would read [REAGENT:C:1:TOOL:LARGE_BARREL:NONE:NONE]
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 357