Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423073 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3420 on: July 31, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »

Ever made kitten stone? Guess what it does.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: July 31, 2011, 02:59:57 pm »

Also, I want dangerous mining, similar to corrosion, but I can't think of any generic rock names without plagiarizing corrosion >_>

I'm planning to make caste-only mining through syndromes that only effect certain castes, and I know how to do that, I just need names and I need to know some REALLY effective syndromes :P
For names you could do:
  • Uranium- could cause massive necrosis
  • Sun Stone- could cause massive fever, while not deadly would be Fun
  • Myorum*- could cause the heart to gush blood, I actually found an old line of mine that'd make this work swimmingly [CE_BLEEDING:SEV:700:PROB:80:BP:BY_CATEGORY:HEART:HEART:RESISTABLE:START:2000:PEAK:2200:END:3400] they won't die right away but I'll be damned if it isn't effective
  • Stone- for a truly generic name
  • Hale- a good generic name for a stone with an inhale syndrome
*First 3 letters of the name of heart tissue and first 3 of Rumpere(latin for burst). When in doubt mix languages/words. You get some cool names.
Good luck :)

Ever made kitten stone? Guess what it does.
Does it explode cats?
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: July 31, 2011, 03:09:53 pm »

I'm going with mixtures between "evil" words or words related to the syndrome and the word for "rock" in the language in my mod.

Hilariously, most of the "evil" names happen to be taken by actual troll names:

"Demonstone" is "vriskaketaki" (each word in the language is 6 letters)
"Infernostone" is "aradiaketaki"

What a coincidence!

Also, how would I make the caverns near-unreachable through undiggable stones? I basically made the only metamorphic rock undiggable for this situation, but would that prevent digging too deep as I want? Since I made one particular caste immune to the effects of the dangerous mining, I need a way to prevent digging more than should be dug.

ALSO:

If I remove most of the metal ores, would that make the metal unavailable during worldgen? Stupid question, I know, but I need to know!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:38:49 pm by Putnam »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: July 31, 2011, 06:33:25 pm »

Hullo all,

I'm new to this modding thing, though I've created working creatures without too much trouble.  I am currently attempting to create a two-phase smelter reaction with the end-product being aluminum, and the wiki just confused me.  Could someone take a look at the following two reactions and tell me verify that the tags I used to specify that the [CONTAINER] in the first needs to be metal will work as intended, how to specify that the fuel for both MUST be magma (if possible), and whether the thing as a whole looks like it will work (I realize I need to gen a new world in order to get them into the game)?  Also, do I need to create a new item/object entry for the "alumina slurry", and can I restrict the reactions to a specific level (i.e. only "great" or better), or do I have to depend on micromanaging and the manager for that?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for any help you folks can give!

- Dame de la Licorne

Edited for clarification.

Edit2: Another question, where (and what tag(s)) am I supposed to insert the reaction so that the civ(s) of my choosing has access to it?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:06:25 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: July 31, 2011, 07:12:37 pm »

For reactions, go into entities_default.txt, and add [PERMITTED:REACTION:REACTIONNAME]. Replace REACTIONNAME with, well, the reaction's name.
For the rest, I'm not sure.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: July 31, 2011, 08:58:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You'll need to make a new material (Most likely an INORGANIC:X; X must be capital) if I understand this right. The underline/bold is where the material name would go (The none included in this is irrelevant and could possibly cause bugs) and the CONTAINS: would be followed by A (it specifies a specific reagent in the reaction so you could change A to alumina slurry for the desired effect). For the magma bit I think you could make the building [NEEDS_MAGMA] to require being built over magma and probably take the fuel off the reactions. Drakon is right about the Permission token, yes this requires a regen. And as far as I know you can't restrict quality levels in products.
Following the above the reactions should work, but quick in-game testing is recommended.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: July 31, 2011, 10:34:57 pm »

Hello,

Thanks for the tips!  I'll make the changes and see how it goes.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: July 31, 2011, 10:35:56 pm »

the tags I used to specify that the [CONTAINER] in the first needs to be metal will work as intended
I don't think METAL_SUBTYPE is a valid subtype for an item token.  The only item tokens that have subtypes are weapons, tools, and other items that are individually defined in the raws - you can't specify material until the material part of the token (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Reaction#Reagents).  The list of valid item types and subtypes is on the wiki at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Item_token

As far as I'm aware, there's no way to limit the container material to only metals.  METAL, INORGANIC, and STONE as the primary material type are all aliases for INORGANIC.  Even so, using INORGANIC:NONE for the material part of the container reagent tag should at least prevent wood from being used, but I could be wrong about that (I'm not really sure whether or not PLANT_MATs are considered INORGANIC or not).

how to specify that the fuel for both MUST be magma (if possible)
As mentioned, this can only be done using a custom building that has the [NEEDS_MAGMA] tag.

whether the thing as a whole looks like it will work (I realize I need to gen a new world in order to get them into the game)?  Also, do I need to create a new item/object entry for the "alumina slurry"
Yes, you need to gen a new world to add reactions, and yes, you need to at least create a new material definition for the alumina slurry in inorganic_other.txt, making sure that the case of the material name in the reagent matches that of the material definition.  The details of the material probably aren't important since it's an intermediate reagent and won't be used to construct anything, but unless the material specified is properly defined, the reaction won't work.

The core of product and reagent tags (omitting chance, number, etc) pretty much always follows the format <itemtype>:<item subtype>:<material type>:<material subtype>, so both of your glob tags (product and reagent) should be something like GLOB:NONE:INORGANIC:ALUMINA_SLURRY, replacing ALUMINA_SLURRY with the name of the new INORGANIC material you define in inorganic_other.txt.  I don't think it has to be capitalized, but I'm not sure, and it's best to keep things consistent.

It also looks like you have a few other errors:
- 'BUOLDER' typo
- [REAGENT:EMPTY] should just be [EMPTY].
- [CONTAINS:] should refer to a reagent name (A in this case) not the material name.  The named reagent tag then determines the item and material types.
- You want to make sure quantities between the two reactions match by using [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] on your glob production reaction (you already have the bar reaction requiring 150 glob quantity, which is correct).
- Your aluminum bar product tag doesn't really make any sense, and seems to be copied from a reagent tag?  See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Reaction#Products for the proper format for products.
- You also definitely want [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] on the bar product, since a normal bar of metal has 150 hidden internal quantity (much like globs, powder, etc).  Pretty much any time you're producing a glob, powder, bar, thread, or cloth you need an appropriate PRODUCT_DIMENSION modifier.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: July 31, 2011, 11:04:14 pm »

Greetings Modders,

I had a quick question, if someone had a moment. I tried doing multiple searches for answers prior, but I couldn't find a direct answer in the 80+ pages of results.

Is it possible (and if so how) to make stone weapons with quality modifiers? I've been attempting to mod in stone hammers and maces with partial success. I can get my craftsmen to produce them, but no matter what their skill level the weapons never have quality modifiers applied. I can produce wooden weapons with quality modifiers, but not stone. The reaction I've been using is:

[REACTION:CRAFT_STONE_HAMMER]
   [NAME:craft stone hammer]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_H]
   [REAGENT:A:1:STONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [REAGENT:B:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:STONECRAFT]

Again, it produces a stone hammer of the correct type, albeit it does so more or less instantly, which in all ways seems to function properly as a hammer, yet never has a quality modifier. Tested it even with a Legendary stonecrafter and it's always an instant-creation with zero quality. Is this a known issue with stone weapons? Am I missing something in the reaction? Do I need to edit something in the weapons or stone entries themselves?

EDIT: Well after a few days on and off of trying and finally asking here, I apparently figured it out on my own not long after this post. Seemingly adding [CAN_STONE] to the weapons was all it took. I really didn't expect it to be that simple, since I always thought that tag was just for marking something for obsidian weapons, but... well, I added it and all the stone weapons I produced on a fresh world gen had quality modifiers, so there you go.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:05:42 am by Greymane »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: July 31, 2011, 11:20:09 pm »

I think this is a different kind of question to ask but anyway...

I'm working on making an icon sheet for my mod, and I'm using sphr's as a base. I'm not exactly sure what each of his icons are supposed to match up to (that is, when it'll be used), so would it matter if I leave a blank spot in the sheet or anything? I'm still not certain how the game grabs which icon to use from the sheet (I haven't touched modding in a long time...) and I'm just not sure what each icon is supposed to go to...

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3430 on: August 01, 2011, 01:28:57 am »

Couple of small ones.

First, does anyone happen to know how to make a weapon use the Miscellaneous Object User skill properly? I've tried every variant of MISCWEAPON, MISCOBJECT etc I can think of and still get unrecognised-attribute errors.

Second, is it possible for dwarves to have access to outside and underground crops without horribly breaking the game? It seems faintly silly that mine is apparently the only fortress in the world to think of planting a strawberry patch by the back gate.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: August 01, 2011, 01:55:13 am »

Couple of small ones.

First, does anyone happen to know how to make a weapon use the Miscellaneous Object User skill properly? I've tried every variant of MISCWEAPON, MISCOBJECT etc I can think of and still get unrecognised-attribute errors.

Second, is it possible for dwarves to have access to outside and underground crops without horribly breaking the game? It seems faintly silly that mine is apparently the only fortress in the world to think of planting a strawberry patch by the back gate.

1) MISC_WEAPON is the token you're looking for.

2) Dig out a room for a farm plot just beneath the surface.  Remove the ceiling.  Replace the ceiling with constructed floors.  Any farm plots built in this room will count as "above ground," even though they're safely underground beneath your indestructible artificial roof.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: August 01, 2011, 02:53:41 am »

Would a reaction that simply creates bars work to give certain civs that metal during world gen? I hope so, it's the only way this will work.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: August 01, 2011, 03:28:30 am »

Would a reaction that simply creates bars work to give certain civs that metal during world gen? I hope so, it's the only way this will work.

I think it'll work. IIRC, genesis ezrakim elves have a sun gold bar making reaction, and their soldiers (and bandits) mostly equip sun gold.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Weaselcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: August 01, 2011, 06:58:01 am »

Is there a mod that can autosave Adventurer Mode based on sun/moon cycle, day, or tiles moved? Adventure Mode crashes for me a whole lot, and I'm those forgettable types of people who don't save often enough. I guess I'm just really tired of losing the guys I work hard on. :/
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 357