Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423085 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3405 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

I'm trying to add a small civ to my game that is evil and very small with no metal availability but they siege in huge sieges 100's how would I go about doing this?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Mikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: July 27, 2011, 08:25:44 pm »

Will a REACTION_CLASS assigned to a material transition to an item encrusted/covered by that material?  In other words, could I create a reaction to line a vessel with a refractory material (possessing the REACTION_CLASS in question), to be used in another reaction that looks for a vessel containing that REACTION_CLASS?  Or will that only work if the object's base material possesses the REACTION_CLASS (if that even works)?

If not, is there another way to require a particular covering/glazing of a base object in a reaction short of causing the covering reaction to completely replace the original object with a new one consisting of the desired 'covering' material?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: July 27, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »

I'm trying to add a small civ to my game that is evil and very small with no metal availability but they siege in huge sieges 100's how would I go about doing this?

The large sieges would require you to make multiple copies of your custom civ in the raws (with different internal names of course) because siege numbers are limited to a max of 80 + mounts + "trolls" per civ.  Multiple civs would allow a chance of more than one siege showing up at once, adding another 80 to that max.

Removing metals should just be a matter of removing [METAL_PREF] and all the metal reactions from the civ.  (bizzare behavior may result with no metal and the inability to make wood weapons, might need somebody else to confirm)

And the others are just creating your creature the way you like.  Maybe copying kobold body data for size.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: July 27, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »

Ok, I added the bit onto my custom plant. No one will embark with it. Not even the dwarves. Now what?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: July 28, 2011, 05:17:35 am »

The large sieges would require you to make multiple copies of your custom civ in the raws (with different internal names of course) because siege numbers are limited to a max of 80 + mounts + "trolls" per civ.  Multiple civs would allow a chance of more than one siege showing up at once, adding another 80 to that max.

Removing metals should just be a matter of removing [METAL_PREF] and all the metal reactions from the civ.  (bizzare behavior may result with no metal and the inability to make wood weapons, might need somebody else to confirm)

And the others are just creating your creature the way you like.  Maybe copying kobold body data for size.

I copied the Gremlin sizes and added in some goblin data so they are hostile at the moment I'm running a test world to see if I get sieges, ambushes and babysnatchers.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3410 on: July 30, 2011, 11:04:40 pm »

I'm working on an experiment to mod in asbestos cloth, and I'm having a bit of an issue.

Here's the custom minerals I've added in:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here's the reactions:

The two custom workshops I'm using, the Grinder, and Asbestos Loom, aren't important to show.

Now when I test this out, a mechanic dwarf takes a chrysotile boulder to the grinder and makes it into a bag of chrysotile powder.  The spinner then takes the bag of chrysotile powder to the asbestos loom, where he makes asbestos thread.  The problem is, I end up with 150 individual pieces of asbestos thread being created. What am I missing?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: July 30, 2011, 11:15:23 pm »

For technical reasons (health care only uses partial pieces of thread), thread is broken into smaller (usually hidden) units.  A single piece of "thread" is actually 15000 units, while a single piece of cloth is 10000. 

Add [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000] at the end of the thread product line and it should work swimmingly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:20:53 pm by narhiril »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: July 30, 2011, 11:23:45 pm »

Nope, still makes 150 pieces of thread.  PRODUCT_DIMENSION controls how large each piece is, it doesn't control how many pieces are made.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: July 30, 2011, 11:27:30 pm »

Nope, still makes 150 pieces of thread.  PRODUCT_DIMENSION controls how large each piece is, it doesn't control how many pieces are made.

Try adding [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] to the powder reagent line.  Powder might also have a hidden dimension to it (I know liquids have a dimension of 150).  If this doesn't work, try changing it to [REAGENT:A:150:POWDER:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:ASBESTOS]. 

This looks very similar to the problem you get when you forget to use 150 for bar quantities.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:29:52 pm by narhiril »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: July 30, 2011, 11:29:44 pm »

OK, it was the hidden quantity in the powder that did it.  The powder had a quantity of 150, which was causing 150 threads to be made.

The following reactions work:

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: July 31, 2011, 02:16:30 am »

Right now, I'm trying to mod my first creature. Is it possible for a creature to have multiple hearts? And if so, will it keep fighting if it loses a heart?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: July 31, 2011, 02:27:49 am »

Right now, I'm trying to mod my first creature. Is it possible for a creature to have multiple hearts? And if so, will it keep fighting if it loses a heart?

It's possible to have multiple hearts. I believe that it will cause massive bleeding if it loses one. It'll keep fighting, but it'll still bleed out as normal. Multiple brains are redundant, you can lose a brain and still function, as will multiple hearts, but the heart's main function in this game is to cause massive bleeding, so one punctured heart will probably kill the creature anyway.

Also, I want dangerous mining, similar to corrosion, but I can't think of any generic rock names without plagiarizing corrosion >_>

I'm planning to make caste-only mining through syndromes that only effect certain castes, and I know how to do that, I just need names and I need to know some REALLY effective syndromes :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:34:53 am by Putnam »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: July 31, 2011, 08:10:36 am »

It's possible to have multiple hearts. I believe that it will cause massive bleeding if it loses one. It'll keep fighting, but it'll still bleed out as normal. Multiple brains are redundant, you can lose a brain and still function, as will multiple hearts, but the heart's main function in this game is to cause massive bleeding, so one punctured heart will probably kill the creature anyway.

Also, I want dangerous mining, similar to corrosion, but I can't think of any generic rock names without plagiarizing corrosion >_>

I'm planning to make caste-only mining through syndromes that only effect certain castes, and I know how to do that, I just need names and I need to know some REALLY effective syndromes :P

The best way to do that is to make multiple rocks with the same name and appearance, one which produces a normal stone and one which produces a stone that vaporizes and is inhaled (like Lofn's coal dust).  As for effective syndromes, I'm fond of CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: July 31, 2011, 10:46:56 am »

Thanks to !!SCIENCE!!, I now know that meals cannot be made of any levels that are not 2, 3, or 4. Carry on.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: July 31, 2011, 12:15:11 pm »

Let's see...
Intense necrosis to the brain is a staple killer, guaranteed to work on anything actually possessing the brain. Impairing the function of both lungs will cause breathing creatures to suffocate, heavy bleeding targeting multiple areas will kill most creatures, and untargeted paralysis will kill smallish creatures due to suffocation. As for names, I'm out of ideas.
Actually... maybe dig through the language files, find words for "blood," "doom," that kind of thing, and name your minerals that. Okbodlam would be "doomstone" and it sounds cool.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 357