Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423193 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3330 on: July 19, 2011, 04:44:22 pm »

Alright, now the chitinous windhole is working.

EDIT: Current problem: MSPA troll historical figures have names, but on-site non-historical figure trolls have no name. What causes this?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:48:20 pm by Putnam »

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: July 19, 2011, 10:54:30 pm »

Are they intelligent? If not, I think the names are just from kills.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: July 19, 2011, 11:13:49 pm »

I have a small question. If I remove the ability to have children in a species of creatures, will they, say, die out in world gen?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: July 19, 2011, 11:18:20 pm »

Are they intelligent? If not, I think the names are just from kills.

Yes, they're intelligent.

EDIT: I think I got it. There was no TRANSLATION tag in the entity. Let's see if it works.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:49:41 pm by Putnam »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: July 19, 2011, 11:32:52 pm »

I have a small question. If I remove the ability to have children in a species of creatures, will they, say, die out in world gen?

Depends how you do it.  If you remove male, female, or both from castes, they will die out in world gen over time.  If you just remove the baby and child tags, it means they will be born fully mature.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: July 20, 2011, 02:23:05 am »

Victory, I got the tarantulas to work.
I forgot to add body hair tissues.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: July 20, 2011, 02:41:52 am »

How would organic technology work? Something involving having a special creature that drops a rock or 10 when slaughtered? I've decided that version 1 of the trolls mod will be finally feeling like it's ready for CIV_CONTROLLABLE.

To be exact, I want this:

Building materials made from some form of domesticated animal. Shouldn't be too hard, I think.
Vermin that works in hives that can be used to make mechanisms. Seems harder. Exactly like bees. Do not eat the mind honey. The mind honey may have to wait until ingestible syndromes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:44:01 am by Putnam »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3337 on: July 20, 2011, 07:50:34 am »

Building materials made from some form of domesticated animal. Shouldn't be too hard, I think.

Your first option would be to use the ITEMCORPSE tag to have them drop a boulder or bar or something when they die.  You'll only get one item per creature death, and I'm not sure how or if this works if they're a domestic creature and you butcher them.

Second option would be to have a creature that uses LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS to lay bars or blocks instead of eggs.  That's pretty easy to do.  I'm working on a fortress made from coral and amber, generated by a farm full of magic geese that lay coral and amber blocks.

With some modding it might be possible to use the BUTCHER_SPECIAL to cause a creature to drop bars or blocks of material instead of meat when you butcher it.  I have been experimenting with that, haven't quite gotten it to work reliably yet.  For one thing it tends to produce stacks of bars or blocks, and DF doesn't handle stacks of building materials well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: July 20, 2011, 07:59:25 pm »

Your first option would be to use the ITEMCORPSE tag to have them drop a boulder or bar or something when they die.  You'll only get one item per creature death, and I'm not sure how or if this works if they're a domestic creature and you butcher them.

Second option would be to have a creature that uses LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS to lay bars or blocks instead of eggs.  That's pretty easy to do.  I'm working on a fortress made from coral and amber, generated by a farm full of magic geese that lay coral and amber blocks.

With some modding it might be possible to use the BUTCHER_SPECIAL to cause a creature to drop bars or blocks of material instead of meat when you butcher it.  I have been experimenting with that, haven't quite gotten it to work reliably yet.  For one thing it tends to produce stacks of bars or blocks, and DF doesn't handle stacks of building materials well.

If you want to get multiple drops from one creature, the best approximation is to give it a unique tool as an ITEMCORPSE and then create a reaction to turn that item into whatever you wanted from it.

Unusual eggs are also a good choice, but I should warn you that they do not interact well with grazer tags.  Creatures that lay eggs will remain sitting on their nests until the egg item is removed from the box, usually resulting in a lot of deaths by starvation.  This is even more of a problem with unusual eggs, which do not hatch and are not always prioritized for stockpiling.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:35 am »

Alright, I'll keep all that in mind for later. For now, however, I have the following problems:

I don't know the name in the raws for the fighter and archer skills.

Also, this:
Spoiler: errorlog.txt (click to show/hide)

Right now, those and the problems with fighter and archer are the only parts of my mod with errors in errorlog :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:23:47 pm by Putnam »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: July 25, 2011, 10:15:05 am »

Question:
Is it possible to make a workshop reaction that uses any body part from a single species of animal?
For example, you could give it a cat corpse or cat head or cat fur or cat cartilage, and they would all produce the same thing, but dog parts wouldn't work?

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: July 25, 2011, 10:21:55 am »

Is there a way to force a certain change in the RAWs to affect a game without genning a new world?  I feel like I've seen it in a few places, such as what SethCreiyd did with Failcannon.  I've seen it done with other games whereby the player added in different enemies post-embark.

I could also be wrong, and these examples have logical explanations, but I'm dying to know how it's done anyways!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: July 25, 2011, 01:32:18 pm »

Is there a way to force a certain change in the RAWs to affect a game without genning a new world?  I feel like I've seen it in a few places, such as what SethCreiyd did with Failcannon.  I've seen it done with other games whereby the player added in different enemies post-embark.

I could also be wrong, and these examples have logical explanations, but I'm dying to know how it's done anyways!
Worldtinker
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: July 25, 2011, 02:17:36 pm »

Worldtinker
Oh, I've heard of that!  Thanks!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: July 25, 2011, 02:21:25 pm »

Okay, Modding Gods. I need your help. I can't figure out [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS], and I want this domestic spider to lay silk cloth (both genders), but I also want them to be able to reproduce without eggs. Is this possible? And how would I implement it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 357