Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 423235 times)

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3300 on: July 18, 2011, 01:58:16 pm »

Recently I decided to update some of my older mods for 0.31.25, but have encountered a problem in one of them. I know its a problem that has been addressed on this thread more than once, but for the life of me, I cant find the source of the missing tissue thickness...

*loads mod_debugging_skillset*

It seems that positioning is even more crucial than I thought. Some of your errors were simply distance between the body: and the materials and tissues sections. Thus some things have been moved around. A few tags have been moved around only for clarity. As you have your original file you could easily move max age, equips, and other 'small tags' back where they were if you prefer those locations.

So the adjustments:

Attacks have to be after all the parts and tissues are declared. just moving those killed a few errors after the tissues were fixed.
Corrected "STANCE" to "GRASP" for the scratch attack.
You had an underscore attacked to the LEG in the fur declarations.
You had ARM not HAND for the finger fur declarations.
I moved the BODY_MODIFIER section to after the bodies are 'finalized' but before the colors are applied.
Modulated tags pertaining to the youths. Moved age related tags near them as well as body sizes.

What I ended up with is as follows with the following extra caveats:

*I do not know precisely what is in your "female2", "male" or "neutral" tags -for all I know you've added -or are adding- landing lights to these NSFW Foocubi body zones. So they've just been yanked out. At this point they should be the only -if any- parts with issues. Keyword 'Should'. But I have no idea what you had in FEMALE2
*CARNIVORE -if this ends up an entity critter could lead to starve outs. I didn't do anything to the tag. nor did I add anything near this particular tag, but you might consider [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] if you want to maintain carnivore.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, is it possible to add a reaction to the mill or quern? If so, what is the format to grind something?

As in to a powder? Let's bs a granite powder reaction. Might have some errors but it should pass muster.

[REACTION:PULVERIZE_GRANITE]
   [NAME:grind a granite boulder into powder]
   [BUILDING:QUERN:NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [EMPTY]
      [BAG]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [REAGENT:B:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:GRANITE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:GRANITE]
      [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
      [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:A]
   [SKILL:MASONRY]

How's that?

Hope I was any help at all.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: July 18, 2011, 03:38:44 pm »

Thanks for the help, the cats are working now. Hopefully the reaction will as well.

edit: What would the format for reagent B have to be for a custom plant? I'm new to modding reactions.

edit2: In testing my cat mod, I just got my first migrant wave, and for some reason none of the migrants have names. Wtf?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:44:38 pm by RogueArchivist »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: July 18, 2011, 05:22:08 pm »

Thanks for the help, the cats are working now. Hopefully the reaction will as well.

edit: What would the format for reagent B have to be for a custom plant? I'm new to modding reactions.

PLANT_MAT:<PLANT_ID>:WOOD] for wood or
PLANT_MAT:<PLANT_ID>:STRUCTURAL] if a plant itself.

edit2: In testing my cat mod, I just got my first migrant wave, and for some reason none of the migrants have names. Wtf?

Did you give their entity a translation file? Does the file exist? (say you did a repalce all to remove dwarf/dwarven references and accidentally changed it to [TRANSLATION:CAT.TXT] they have [INTELLIGENT] so they have [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN]... entity files are fairly easy going on enforced formatting... having like none...

Anything in the error log?
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: July 18, 2011, 07:12:50 pm »

Turns out I did indeed forget to give them a translation file. Oops. Thanks again for the help.

Edit: Concerning my earlier queries about reactions, does this look like it would work?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:14:41 pm by RogueArchivist »

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: July 18, 2011, 08:17:55 pm »

Attempting a mod for dwarfy pets. Figure'd I'd just copy/paste regular pets, and edit some stuff, but I figure I should run it past you guys to see if you can help me.

Is there some sort of "creature creator" utility?

For the curious, here's the beasts I plan on making:
Mole Hound - A domesticated version of the Naked Mole Dog. I want to give it some bonuses to make it better for hunting than war.
Armored Olm - An alligator-sized Olm covered in spiky plates. I want to make it a powerful combatant, but a crappy hunter.
Slime Maggot - A larger (cow-sized) breed of Purring Maggot, prized for it sweet slime (milk), and its succulent flesh.
Cave Spinner - A pig-sized spider, used both for its silk and it's thick fur (wool). Its eggs are also used as a food source.
Rock Crab - A large, stone-colored crab, used to hunt vermin thanks to its quickness and vicious pincers.
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: July 19, 2011, 12:50:04 am »

Turns out I did indeed forget to give them a translation file. Oops. Thanks again for the help.

Edit: Concerning my earlier queries about reactions, does this look like it would work?

Alrighty.

SWEARING HAS BEEN CENSORED BY THE FCC BEFORE EXPORT

Use Dwarven Wheat Flour as an example for what your plant's declaration needs to mill the plant into a powder. When you tell your civvies to mill the plants, your civvies will get the requirements on their own to mill the powder and store it.

Spoiler: Rambles (click to show/hide)
--
Eldrick Tobin

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: July 19, 2011, 01:22:33 am »

As I said, first time Ive gone into reactions. Thanks for the help.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: July 19, 2011, 01:32:27 am »

I've got a problem. I'm making my first creature, and, because I like to start thinking BIG, I went with MSPA's trolls.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13790475/troll.zip

^That file above contains all the raws involved. I have a problem, though. When I try to (l)ook at a troll, the game crashes. Can someone peruse the creature raw and tell me why? I've also got a shitload of errors from it; it seems to not have any tissues, so I'm worried that the horns may be made out of skin or somesuch.

Honestly, though, I'm having fun with it. "You stab the troll in the head with your adamantine long sword, tearing the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing the thinkpan! The troll has been struck down."

Working on this, will edit later with some more feedback.  Right now the first problem is a typo in this line:

[BODY_DETAIL_PLANT:HEAD:HAIR:TISSUE:LAYERS]

EDIT: Ok, I've got a stable version with a blank errorlog.  A few new entries to b_detail_plan and body_troll were necessary.  Fronds and "thinkpans" were not defined, so the game didn't know what to do with them.

Most of the errors stemmed from DF being picky when it comes to caste-level body definitions.  When you define a new body to be used, it does not inherit all of the materials and tissues of the previous body, so these all needed to be defined again, even if they're the same (this took me a while to hunt down).  The remaining few errors came from [BODY:HUMANOID:(blahblah)], which is not set up to use fronds or thinkpans.  I defined and used two new templates for this.

I have not yet had a chance to look over the entity file, but the creature file is now working properly.  I had to arbitrarily give it a creature ID, so you'll need to make sure that matches for the entity file.  Here is what I have, formatted to simply drag-and-drop into the raws.  My comments within the files themselves are denoted with a "#" tag next to them.

Sorry about the free hosting site, but I didn't want to put it on DFFD in case you want to put it there yourself.

Haha, that body_detail_plant thing was something I had already fixed before, but I guess I un-fixed it when I rolled back from a later version after some problems :X

Also, I didn't want chitin as a layer; I actually kind of understand how to do that. What I need is to have a certain bodypart be chitinous; however, I realized that windpipes aren't quite in this game, so I didn't need to. I don't feel like this is quite ready for release, anyway. Also, after your fixes, it has a fractal body. I think this is because of the fallback plan; the wiki says this about it:

Code: [Select]
Some bugs are possible through modding, such as creating "fractal bodies" by defining the BODY tag in the creature level, and then creating a new caste-level definition of the creature. This generates duplicate body parts which increase in number the further away they are from the Upper Body part, with six upper arms, eight lower arms, and ten hands.
I fixed that problem, but now I have a new one: only the left eye is given the colors defined. Here's an example:

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS:EYE:MAROON:1]

This piece of code brings this up in the troll's description:

Her left eye's eye tissue is maroon
It's purely superficial, but it's damn annoying.

EDIT: I think I've got that down, but I'm pretty sure it still says "tissue". Testing is yet to be done, however.

EDIT 2: Nope, fixed. I'm actually happy with the result now. All I need to do now is to make the eyes orange at birth and fill out with color as they get older, which shouldn't be too hard.

EDIT 3: This seems fit for release. Since the creature is generally feature-complete, but the entity is mostly a placeholder, I'd say it's version 0.1 How should I release it? There's already a topic about the trolls that I happened to make, but it seems dead; should I make a new topic and release it on DFFD?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:29:42 am by Putnam »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: July 19, 2011, 02:17:06 am »

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS:EYE:MAROON:1]

This piece of code brings this up in the troll's description:

Her left eye's eye tissue is maroon
It's purely superficial, but it's damn annoying.

EDIT: I think I've got that down, but I'm pretty sure it still says "tissue". Testing is yet to be done, however.

looks like it's missing:
            [TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
"NAME:SINGULAR or PLURAL||names the tissue layer color modifier, and determines the noun"
--
Eldrick Tobin

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: July 19, 2011, 02:58:15 am »

Alright, how do you make only a certain part of the body have chitin?  I want the throat to be chitinous ("chitinous windhole"), so is there a way to go about doing that? Would I have to define a new body part?

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: July 19, 2011, 03:01:41 am »

there is a way to increase a product vvalue without modifying it's reagents?
i mean like a precious spyglass made using lead and raw glass, while for now i can't get to make it pricey
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3311 on: July 19, 2011, 10:23:56 am »

Alright, how do you make only a certain part of the body have chitin?  I want the throat to be chitinous ("chitinous windhole"), so is there a way to go about doing that? Would I have to define a new body part?

Possibly by adding:

[ADD_MATERIAL:CHITIN:CHITIN_TEMPLATE]
[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT:CHITIN:100]

somewhere after [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:...] in the creature file.  I'm not sure if these tags can be used in the creature definition rather than in b_detail_plan_default however, or what happens if you have BP_LAYERS defined twice for the same category.  Try it and let us know.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: July 19, 2011, 10:39:02 am »

i mean like a precious spyglass made using lead and raw glass, while for now i can't get to make it pricey

I'm not sure if altering an item's material size will change the value, but you might as well try. Note that you can only alter item size with items with material size tags.

Of course, you could make a duplicate of the material and change the value multiplier from there, but it's obviously what you aren't trying to achieve.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: July 19, 2011, 12:06:23 pm »

I have not tried this myself, but you may be able to do this if you make the spyglass a tool. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tool_token Tools get a VALUE token. No idea on its use, however.

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: July 19, 2011, 01:43:31 pm »

Okay, I'm doing a mod for dwarfy pets; seem to have hit a snag. The game crashes whenever I try to create a Tunnel Bat.

Here's the RAWs for it; what am I doing wrong?
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 357