Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420187 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3090 on: June 14, 2011, 06:29:16 pm »

I tried removing powder, and it worked perfectly.  Is there any way I can make the powder work?
When I summoned the powder, it was just in my hand.
It'd probably work if it was in a bag and that's how it'd probably be sold to you (assuming you make civs have it and, by extension, sell it). Try something like this to see if it helps:
Spoiler: Summon Dust: Revamp (click to show/hide)
Of course you'd need a BOX object (chest/bag/box), which the following reaction should make:
Spoiler: Make BOX (click to show/hide)
This is almost pure speculation on my part, I don't often play with reactions. And when I do I usually use get_material_from_reagent and not play with powders.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: June 14, 2011, 06:47:22 pm »

In playing with Traits/Personalities... has anyone found any ranges that you SHOULD NOT HAVE

"You sound like you're heading in a very specific direction. Out with it."

Right. I have a species that has a sense of duty -thus not that- but has the potential for "Seeks short term goals" and "very low self discipline". Could this be leading the merchants to not bother with leaving? And yeah I've narrowed it down at this point to Traits/Personality. Any other caste chosen as the merchant is hunky dory... and since the particular caste hasn't had any personality tuning... it's my suspicion.

The problem zone:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any thoughts on this? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: June 14, 2011, 06:48:58 pm »

I tried removing powder, and it worked perfectly.  Is there any way I can make the powder work?
When I summoned the powder, it was just in my hand.
It'd probably work if it was in a bag and that's how it'd probably be sold to you (assuming you make civs have it and, by extension, sell it). Try something like this to see if it helps:
Spoiler: Summon Dust: Revamp (click to show/hide)
Of course you'd need a BOX object (chest/bag/box), which the following reaction should make:
Spoiler: Make BOX (click to show/hide)
This is almost pure speculation on my part, I don't often play with reactions. And when I do I usually use get_material_from_reagent and not play with powders.

Thanks!  I had to add :THREAD to the product tag for the bag, but other than that it's perfect.   8)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: June 14, 2011, 06:51:30 pm »

Thanks!  I had to add :THREAD to the product tag for the bag, but other than that it's perfect.   8)
:THREAD had to be added to the end of it? I guess I need to check up on reactions a bit more.
Also: You're Welcome
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: June 15, 2011, 04:42:37 am »

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:ASH_GRAY:1:DARK_GREEN:1:DARK_OLIVE:1:EMERALD:1:FERN_GREEN:1:GRAY:1:GREEN:1:JADE:1:LIME:1:MINT_GREEN:1:M
OSS_GREEN:1:OLIVE:1:PINE_GREEN:1:SEA_GREEN:1:SLATE_GRAY:1:SPRING_GREEN:1]
These are the descriptors. I believe the 1s are the chance of a color, while the colors (DARK_GREEN etc.) refer to colors from the colors.txt file. Just use a similar method for however many colors you want.

[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
And this is what the game will call it. In case you want to change that.

I don't really understand the number descriptors yet.
In [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_PEACH:1:RAW_UMBER:1:SEPIA:1:TAN:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1]
I guess the "1" numbers are probability distribution.

To understand TL_COLOR_MODIFIER, it might help to read: Fixing Hereditary Genetics

Keep in mind this discussion was in November of 2010. At that time the COLOR_MODIFIER thing was bugged and all dwarves shared the same skin, hair and eye color. However, from what I can tell, in v0.31.25 both dwarves and many creatures have randomized colors. So I assume it was fixed sometime between then and now (unless Genesis dwarves and domestic creatures were fixed independently of vanilla DF).

As I understand it, the list of colors and numbers relates to dominant and recessive colors for that part of the body, in order of decreasing likelihood of appearance. These color lists are used for skin color, hair (or fur or feather) color, and eye color. Think of it as a list of dominant and recessive color genes, with the first in the list being dominant, and the rest being increasingly recessive.

Obviously, more !!science!! is needed. As the Creature tokens page on the wiki suggests, there still remains a lot of unknowns in how to use certain tokens and how effective they are.

Check out the various creatures of Genesis mod, there's lots of examples. I don't think critter colors can be inherited.

Actually, I suspect colors can be inherited. At least, judging by the APP_MOD_GENETIC_MODEL and TLCM_GENETIC_MODEL tokens as listed on the Creature tokens page:

APP_MOD_GENETIC_MODEL
Model (Accepts DOMINANT_MORE, DOMINANT_LESS, and MIX)
Defines a genetic model for the relevant appearance modifier(s). May or may not do anything significant at present.

TLCM_GENETIC_MODEL
tissue layer color modifier is passed to offspring genetically?

(BTW: There are a few other interesting TLCM tokens that can affect the expression of color inheritance, including TLCM_IMPORTANCE and TLCM_TIMING.)

For further discussions of genetics and color inheritance, check these threads out:
* Dwarf Fortress Genetics
* Making more diverse genetics

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: June 15, 2011, 04:58:44 am »

Hello, i figured out this is kind of a "little question" thread for modding forum. If i mod in a dwarven caste with size different than that of a regular dwarf, will i ever be able to make armor for those "giant dorfs" or "dwarf dwarfs"?
I have read that armor made in fortress mode is always "right size" for dwarves, but what if dwarves came in two sizes? Would it fit anyone, or should the metalsmith be of the same caste as one he's making armor for?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: June 15, 2011, 07:08:07 am »

i think that a dork makes armor his size so yes you would need one of the caste members make armor
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: June 15, 2011, 10:53:03 am »

i think that a dork makes armor his size so yes you would need one of the caste members make armor
Thanks it's good if so - at least it is possible.
Also, i have another question - how does one write a reaction that preserves the quality of ingredients? Like, for exmaple, combining an huge iron spiked ball with a wooden log to make an enormous iron morningstar, so that the quality of the resulting morningstar will be the same as quality of reagent spiked ball. Is it possible?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3098 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:22 am »

No, it's not.

Armour is sized for the entity as far as I am aware, not individual castes.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: June 15, 2011, 11:51:19 am »

Usable magic spells and etc.

First, make a use_material_template tag on the creature. It's recommended that you use the creature extract template.
Next, like syndromes and etc, name it something like POISON or etc.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]

Once done, add syndromes, temperature differences and the like to that template.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
       [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen etc]
       [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen etc]
       [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:etc]
       [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:etc]
       [STATE_NAME:GAS:etc]
       [STATE_ADJ:GAS:etc]
       [PREFIX:NONE]
       [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10508]
       [ENTERS_BLOOD] -- remove enters blood because the "spell" will not work otherwise.
       [SYNDROME]
           [SYN_NAME:insert syndrome name here]
           [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
           [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:ETC_CREATURE:ALL]
           [SYN_INHALED]
           [CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:5:PEAK:10:END:20]

Next, attach it to an attack.

[SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:POISON:GAS:100:100]

Note the green colored text. It needs to match the material template's name to work. Also, since the only way for usable spells to work is to inject it, we need to alter the material state when this thing is injected, and attach it to an edged attack.

Duplicate a scratch attack or make an edged attack and attach the [SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT] tag in that attack.
Once that's done, you can use it like a breath attack in adventure mode.

Notes:

There is no possible way to make [FIREIMMUNE] and it's superior counterpart work with artificial firebreath/touch. This means that if the temperature is sufficient, even magma men or dragons will melt. One way to counter that is to add a [FIXED_TEMP] tag in the intended fireproof creature, however, if it's added, it also means that the creature's temperature will stay that way, so no freezing creatures too.

The above note also applies to the user of the firebreath/touch, meaning that if constantly spammed, the user will melt.

If someone wants to create a touch of death spell, then instead of following the instructions posted here, just add [SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD:5000:5000] to an edged attack. The creature will die immediately, provided it isn't the size of a full grown dragon.

It is impossible to make an adventure mode usable version of a deadly dust attack.

Finally, the spells will only work if they manage to make a cut somewhere in the victim's body. As far as I know, there isn't any other way to make it work without cutting.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: June 16, 2011, 05:39:44 am »

I'm back for another question.

How would I make my Cave Adders lay less eggs?
One of them just laid 76 eggs.
Holy hell.

EDIT: Nevermind that. I just changed the clutch size and the adders now lay 7-10 eggs.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:54:29 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: June 16, 2011, 11:47:38 am »

Looking at the annotated raws on the first page, and I've got a few questionsc

1. I want a humanoid body structure, but with blades instead of hands. Do I make a new body_[creaturename] file with a modified HUMANOID body type and replace the hands? How do I make the creature attack using the blades?

2. Is there a way to make something have plantlike tissues? My creatures are basically a bunch of semi-sentient vines that coexist in a human form (I've got NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT because of that). I'd prefer that they bleed... plant stuff (new blood color?). Can I make their tissues more easily severed, or something along those lines?

3. How can I make a creature that explodes in proximity to an enemy?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:42:43 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3102 on: June 16, 2011, 09:37:25 pm »

1. I want a humanoid body structure, but with blades instead of hands. Do I make a new body_[creaturename] file with a modified HUMANOID body type and replace the hands? How do I make the creature attack using the blades?
3. How can I make a creature that explodes in proximity to an enemy?
1. yep, new body, and then
[ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:MYHANDBLADE]
   [ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE] --or grasp_strike if you prefer
   [ATTACK_VERB:slash:slashes]
   [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100] --maybe lower this for stab-type attack
   [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100] --maybe increase this
   [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
   [ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
2. Assign your new plantlike tissue like in Colossus:
3. you can't. Closest would be "when creature injects venom on successful bite, it's ultra-hot boiling gas substance". Can't do with area-blasting as they dust around themselves constantly (even while stealthed).
Or instead of bite, [MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MEPHIT_ACID:TRAILING_GAS_FLOW] ranged spitting.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:41:32 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

mrtogo12

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: June 17, 2011, 05:38:01 am »

I have a problem could someone help me?
my poisoneus cat is not infecting others!
here are the raws.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: June 17, 2011, 05:51:19 am »

I'm back.
Is there a way to make death by syndrome faster?
I'm making a terrorist megabeast, just a regular human with undirected dust that causes instant necrosis.
It works fine, but the necrosis happens a little too late.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 357