Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420205 times)

High Tensegrity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3075 on: June 11, 2011, 12:43:08 pm »

Hi everybody.

I'm working on modding a race with fairly complex biology. One such aspect of the race is a caste with a brain divided into two autonomous partitions that can survive without each other, and two helix-like spines that wrap down the torso and abdomen. The idea is that this allows for a level of redundancy, similar to the way you can lop off one of an ettin's heads and it will survive.

Anyhow, I was able to create this and make it work with the following body plans:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, in arena testing, this works. If you tear open one of the brain partitions, the creature will be knocked unconscious but will get back up after a few turns. However, any time I do this or break one of the upper spine helixes, even if the creature survives it will become winded and crawl around for a while until dying of suffocation.

I assume this has to do with the way the lungs are connected in the nervous system. It makes sense that the impaired nervous function could cause severe breathing issues, but I would prefer if my creatures were able to survive this trauma. If anyone has any suggestions on how to go about fixing this, I would appreciate it. :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:51:34 pm by High Tensegrity »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3076 on: June 11, 2011, 02:06:10 pm »

I'm working on modding a race with fairly complex biology. One such aspect of the race is a caste with a brain divided into two autonomous partitions that can survive without each other, and two helix-like spines
.. even if the creature survives it will become winded and crawl around for a while until dying of suffocation.
Time to try a custom lung tissue? Four lungs?
Or add [BREATHE] to a fancy new backup organ. Less Vascular number on their tissues perhaps. First I'd try NOEXERT on them.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

High Tensegrity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: June 11, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

I'm working on modding a race with fairly complex biology. One such aspect of the race is a caste with a brain divided into two autonomous partitions that can survive without each other, and two helix-like spines
.. even if the creature survives it will become winded and crawl around for a while until dying of suffocation.
Time to try a custom lung tissue? Four lungs?
Or add [BREATHE] to a fancy new backup organ. Less Vascular number on their tissues perhaps. First I'd try NOEXERT on them.

Thanks for your help! However, I'm afraid I didn't really have much success with these solutions.

1. [NOEXERT] still left them suffocating upon brain and spine injury.
2. I decided to get clever and introduce a new WINDPIPE organ to the head that had the [BREATHE] token. It still happened.
3. I reduced the vasculature of the lung tissue to 6, but that didn't really seem to change anything.

Right now I'm experimenting to try and find out why an ettin can survive this, but my creature cannot.

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it! The "neck's spine" was not accounted for. Everything's under control now.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:28:59 pm by High Tensegrity »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: June 11, 2011, 03:47:30 pm »

I created an entity that should be building cities underground.
However I am not entirely certain how to test this. Any suggestions?

Edit: I did this by combining [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY] and [LAYER_LINKED] on an entity who's race lives in layers 1-3.
Does anyone know if it would be better to remove [LAYER_LINKED] and replace it with biome tags for SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:52:59 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: June 11, 2011, 09:32:33 pm »

that shouldnt work but keep [LAYER_LINKED] and change the biome tags to SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM and then if for some reason it works then post it on every thread name yourself god of modding and im not kidding if this works your either the god of modding or luck to stumble on to some thing toady added to the code and didnt tell us
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: June 11, 2011, 09:54:39 pm »

I created an entity that should be building cities underground.
However I am not entirely certain how to test this. Any suggestions?

Edit: I did this by combining [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY] and [LAYER_LINKED] on an entity who's race lives in layers 1-3.
Does anyone know if it would be better to remove [LAYER_LINKED] and replace it with biome tags for SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM?
If you figure this out, very many people will be very happy. I will be able to mod in deep dwarves and drow! Experiment with it! Record copius data!

S-C-I-E-N-C-E!

But yeah, Biome tags would be worth messing with. Maybe you could get them to build underground forts?

And if you can figure out what [LAYER_LINKED] Actually DOES, that will open up amazing avenues of potential.
...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: June 11, 2011, 09:59:04 pm »

"What LAYER_LINKED actually does" is make the civ show up as animal men civs do. They show up in small "camps" underground and don't show up on civ view screens/menus, etc.. It does nothing more or less that we know of. It can't be combined with other site tokens to any effect.

Griallia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: June 11, 2011, 10:04:07 pm »

What's the difference between good and benign.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: June 12, 2011, 08:39:21 am »

good safer begin a has a little mor !!FUN!!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:01 am »

What's the difference between good and benign.
GOOD tag defines that the creature appears in Good Regions. Benign means it's somehow less hostile. Wiki says "Determines whether creature can show up on "tame" maps" (minimum savagery)
EVIL tag limits plant, tree or creature to evil biomes.
Related tags: [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] [USE_GOOD_PLANTS] [USE_GOOD_WOOD] for entities.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: June 14, 2011, 12:10:43 am »

I'm working on an adventure mode reaction that creates a glob, similar to a Magic Missile, only with a syndrome attached.  It also requires reagents, to complete the "spell".  I'm having a problem.
For starters, here's the reaction:

Now, since the reagents are hard to find, I created two more reactions to summon them for testing, just to make sure it works.

Now, in arena mode, after I perform the reactions to summon the reagents, I try to "prepare energy", and it says something to the effect of "no item found".  Is the problem in the format of my reactions?  If not, I can post the raws for the materials I added, to see where I messed it up.

On a side note, is there a way to make those items (rubies and "dream dust" powder) appear more frequently in adventure mode?  Or even a way to start with some?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: June 14, 2011, 05:48:32 am »

Now, in arena mode, after I perform the reactions to summon the reagents, I try to "prepare energy", and it says something to the effect of "no item found".  Is the problem in the format of my reactions? 
On a side note, is there a way to make those items (rubies and "dream dust" powder) appear more frequently in adventure mode?  Or even a way to start with some?
Are the two reagents in your hands, just like in flint knapping?
I'd try having the reagents be rare minerals, ones that adventurer can pick up from the ground (small rocks). Perhaps "charged loam" and "glittering dust" soils.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: June 14, 2011, 04:51:18 pm »

I tried again and made sure the reagents were in different hands.  Didn't seem to make a difference.

And thanks for the rare minerals idea - I'll consider it, if I can't find a way to get what I'm looking for.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »

Does it work if you just use rubies?  It may have trouble spotting the POWDER_MISC as a reagent, doesn't powder that normally come in bags? 

Are you able to pick up the powder?
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: June 14, 2011, 06:04:12 pm »

I tried removing powder, and it worked perfectly.  Is there any way I can make the powder work?
When I summoned the powder, it was just in my hand.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 357