Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420222 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3060 on: June 10, 2011, 03:57:50 pm »

I've got my bugdwarves laying eggs.  Now I need those eggs to hatch...

I've disabled all labors on the mothers.  I've given them nest boxes, and provided them with nearby sources of food and drink, as well as bed and dining room.

No dice.  Nada.  They lay the eggs and sit on them for a year or more and nothing hatches from them.  Am I missing something?

All I did to make them lay eggs was add the following to each of the female castes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: June 10, 2011, 04:13:02 pm »

Just a question.
Is it possible to make drink vending machines?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: June 10, 2011, 04:22:09 pm »

@jaxy: I'm pretty sure it is. I don't see why not, anyways.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong with this creature/body? Tissues still confound me, and I'm sure I messed up the body tags somewhere and somehow.

Error Log

Body

Creature

I know that one of the issues that there is no part called "POMMEL" but otherwise I'm kind of stumped. I imagine one of the big issues is that my tissue templates aren't being applied correctly. Is this because BY_TOKEN is the wrong command to use?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: June 10, 2011, 04:25:27 pm »

Well then, I have a problem with my vending machine.
I made a container called a can which holds 2 food.
It's one of the reagents necessary to get wine from the vending machine.
However, all the dwarf uses are the coins. They don't take the can. Any idea as to why this happens?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3064 on: June 10, 2011, 05:16:17 pm »

Question: How do I make a reaction that creates usable glove items?
Because if I write them the same way as any other clothing object, I don't get a "left glove" and a "right glove" but end up with just a "glove" and another "glove" without any adjective that aren't usable
You don't. Toady has not made it possible. Otherwise we would have "craft bone gauntlet" in Genesis mod adventurer mode.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: June 10, 2011, 05:25:53 pm »

Question: How do I make a reaction that creates usable glove items?
Because if I write them the same way as any other clothing object, I don't get a "left glove" and a "right glove" but end up with just a "glove" and another "glove" without any adjective that aren't usable
You don't. Toady has not made it possible. Otherwise we would have "craft bone gauntlet" in Genesis mod adventurer mode.
Oh damn, that's a shame. Thanks for the information anyways.

By the way, I downloaded the newest version of Genesis a few hours ago to see if it has a solution to my problem and it does have a "craft bone gauntlet"-reaction in there. It just doesn't create an usable result.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3066 on: June 10, 2011, 08:54:14 pm »

No dice.  Nada.  They lay the eggs and sit on them for a year or more and nothing hatches from them.  Am I missing something?

The eggs will only hatch if the layer is married.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: June 10, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »

And that brings me full circle, back to my original problem: getting a limited-migrants fort to have dwarves that will marry each other and reproduce.

Thanks, though the news is exactly what I feared.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: June 10, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »

Well then, I have a problem with my vending machine.
I made a container called a can which holds 2 food.
It's one of the reagents necessary to get wine from the vending machine.
However, all the dwarf uses are the coins. They don't take the can. Any idea as to why this happens?
it would be more informative if you post your raw.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: June 10, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »

And that brings me full circle, back to my original problem: getting a limited-migrants fort to have dwarves that will marry each other and reproduce.

Thanks, though the news is exactly what I feared.

I have gotten a working method.

1)Give your dwarves(reptiles, birds, whatever) private rooms.  You can either manually assign it to a known married resident or just make so many of them that you are bound to get one or two.

2) Locate a room owned by a married couple (shows as being owned by 2 instead of just one when 'q'-ed over)  Make sure it has a door.

3) Designate a nest box to be constructed inside the room.  Once somebody comes to build it suspend the construction.  They will leave the unconstructed box in the room as part of the unfinished construction if timed anyplace close to properly.

4) Wait until the female enters the room for idle or sleeping behavior.  (Or if military simply order them in)

5) Lock the door and un-suspend the nest box construction.

6) She will build the box and promptly lay a/an egg(s).

7) Make absolutely sure no stockpiles accept eggs of your civ race.

8.) Unlock the door.

9)Congratulations, you now have fertile eggs sitting in a nest box to hatch.  And no the mother does not need to be at it at all times, althoug it probably isn't a good idea to block access.  It will eventually hatch,  And as often as not while the mother is nowhere near. 

As an added bonus the mother will likely use it multiple times as well after the first eggs hatch without having to bother with all this again.  But it does seem to eventually lose the origonal ownership after a few uses requiring a deconstruction and repeat of the method.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:37:42 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: June 10, 2011, 11:29:57 pm »

2) Locate a room owned by a married couple (shows as being owned by 2 instead of just one when 'q'-ed over)  Make sure it has a door.

That's the issue, there.  The dorfs are not getting married.  I've sat with them socializing for 2+ years and wound up with no marriages.  The rest, I can deal with.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: June 11, 2011, 04:57:44 am »

The dispense wine thing's gotten kinda worse.
The dorf takes the money and the can, but the damn can still doesn't get filled.
Here's the reaction:

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: June 11, 2011, 06:32:52 am »

The dorf takes the money and the can, but the damn can still doesn't get filled.
Here's the reaction:

How's your can defined? What happen to the wine created by this reaction? Is it properly defined as a liquid container (see jug). You'd also want the [EMPTY] tag with your can.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: June 11, 2011, 06:57:13 am »

Here's the reaction:

How's your can defined? What happen to the wine created by this reaction? Is it properly defined as a liquid container (see jug). You'd also want the [EMPTY] tag with your can.
The wine just sits there in the machine.
The can is a food storage thingy, like the large pot.
Also, I gave the can reagent [EMPTY], it didn't work.
Also, you can't drink from a jug, can you?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: June 11, 2011, 07:38:13 am »

The wine just sits there in the machine.
The can is a food storage thingy, like the large pot.
Also, I gave the can reagent [EMPTY], it didn't work.
Also, you can't drink from a jug, can you?
Okay then the wine somehow doesnt recognize the can as an appropriate container. The [EMPTY] tag is just there so when you do get your reaction to work, they wont fill filled cans. From the game's perspective there's no difference between cans and jugs and dwarves only drink from barrels or flasks.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 357