Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420240 times)

steampunkfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #3030 on: June 06, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »

the wiki has the basic creature creation under mode by i can help if you post the raws and the errorlog so we can see whats wrong

this is what im using right now

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it works as a race. i can use it in adventure mode. but it doesnt seem to actually be made of brass. i guess i just need help making it stronger and actually metallic.
what do you mean starting with 7 miners is crazy, if i dig everything in the first season then they can retire sooner

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »

these are the problem

and this is the answer
   [TISSUE:BRONZE]
      [TISSUE_NAME:bronze:bronze]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:BRONZE]
      [MUSCULAR]
      [FUNCTIONAL]
      [STRUCTURAL]
      [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
      [CONNECTS]
      [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BRONZE] change what you need my foxy friend :P
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

steampunkfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: June 06, 2011, 09:51:27 pm »

okay i will try that thanks. but i would still like to know if there is a specific guide on creating creatures from scratch, also they still tend to be a bit weak and i would like to increase bite strength, and overall ability.

also im not really sure what to replace where. i am a complete noob when it comes to this.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:54:07 pm by steampunkfox »
what do you mean starting with 7 miners is crazy, if i dig everything in the first season then they can retire sooner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58:02 pm »

but i would still like to know if there is a specific guide on creating creatures from scratch

This might do.

steampunkfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: June 06, 2011, 10:03:33 pm »

I dont want to sound too whiney, but im still having trouble with where to put what. i dont know if i replace everything with that section of tags or to change all of the hair/nails/skin to brass. the wiki is a little user unfriendly

here is what i have so far, and i know im doing something wrong because when testing i can play a fox, but it isnt named brassfox and it is just as weak as a regular fox

i just need to know what im doing wrong, and how to make it more powerful.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:14:42 pm by steampunkfox »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »

umm are you creating a creature or a entity because [ENTITY:FOREST] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
might be screwing stuff up and [ENTITY:FOREST] might cause double raw syndrome or also know as UH SHIT THE ELVES ARE GAINT BADGERS WITH ARMOR RUN!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

steampunkfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: June 06, 2011, 10:44:26 pm »

i honestly have no idea. i thought if i was making a player race that it needed to be in the entity file or something. i will try to do it in the creature file instead.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: June 06, 2011, 11:16:14 pm »

Creatures go in a creature_<NAME>.txt file, entities go into an entity_<name>.txt file

The [CREATURE:<Name>] section of an entity file decides which creatures inhabit a civilization.
For example, we have the Dwarf in creature_standard.txt

and then we also have their civilization in the entity_default.txt file

While the actual Dwarf is written up in one file, it is called for (by using the same name) in the entity file. The quickest way to add a civilization would be to make your creature [CREATURE:BRASS_FOX] in a creature file called something like creature_mymod.txt
and then create a separate entity file, we'll call it entity_mymod.txt where you copy over [ENTITY:FOREST] and everything involved with it (so up to the next [ENTITY:WHATEVER] tags). Then rename [ENTITY:FOREST] to [ENTITY:FOX] or something and change [CREATURE:ELF] to [CREATURE:BRASS_FOX]
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: June 06, 2011, 11:44:07 pm »

Guys, can you advice me mod, which turns a lot of useless goblins socks and shoes into one or two pieces of clothes? Because I'm tired of goblin looting.
I probably can do it myself, but it's better to check before.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: June 07, 2011, 12:30:59 am »

Guys, can you advice me mod, which turns a lot of useless goblins socks and shoes into one or two pieces of clothes? Because I'm tired of goblin looting.
I probably can do it myself, but it's better to check before.

Just go into the entity_default file in your raw folder under objects. Go down to the goblin part (Entity_Evil) and delete any line of clothing you don't want them to wear.

Were it says:

Delete everything that isn't armor and just leave them with robes, which cover the arms/legs/torso and are sturdy enough.  So its more like...

Some of that doesn't matter either, since I've never seen a goblin wear any armor besides a helm, cap, chainshirt or breastplate.

You might like to leave in masks and set them to COMMON, for headgear, as they are usually made of metal.

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:22 am »

Oh, thank you, I have really forgotten about robes!

steampunkfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:46 am »

okay that mostly worked. i played a fox made out of brass. but now i want to know how to make a race of metal foxes, with each caste being a different type of metal. also i still need to know if its possible to increase their strength.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:12 pm »

PHYS_ATT_CAP_PERC, PHYS_ATT_RANGE, and PHYS_ATT_RATES should help with the strength. Check them out
...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: June 07, 2011, 01:40:37 pm »

EDIT: Ok, it looks like the creature variations are not the problem. Currently I'm trying to make several castes of dragons who all have scales which work with tanmod, each different scale has slightly varying properties. When I make them fight to the death in arena mode and then butcher the corpses, however, they all have black scales. I know it isn't the creature variation, because I moved all the info from my creature variation files in to the creature raws to replace the [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:etcetc] tags (remove the CV_NEW_TAG: at the beginning to make it viable) and the issue remained. Could anyone take a look at this for me and tell me what's up?

Dragons
Materials

C_Variations(directly altered, like pretty much everything else, from raws found in tanmod. I did this to ensure that they would work with tanmod)

Another thing which I've noticed is that, when trying to equip a unit in arena mode I can't even make use of the black scale items. I can use dragonhide though. I imagine this is because a reaction, but perhaps not. I can deal with that later (and that's something I should probably ask about in the tanmod thread) so if nobody feels like explaining how I can set up dragon scale armor it's no problem at all.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:59:26 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: June 07, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »

Tissues and Materials are per-Creature, not per-Caste specific.  That means that the SCALE material you refer to one caste is the same as the SCALE material in every other caste.  If you delete it in one caste, you change it for all the other castes, too.  Since Black dragons are the last caste in the file, at the end of the file SCALE is the black dragon material.

You want to create a new material and tissue for each class.  So red dragons should have a RED_SCALE tissue and material, and their BODY_DETAIL_PLAN token should read [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:RED_SCALE:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

Putting too much tissue and material stuff at the caste level can cause crashes.  In general, you should have only one call to STANDARD_MATERIALS and STANDARD_TISSUES per creature.  When I'm doing creatures with complicated castes, I like to put all my material and tissue definitions at the top of the creature def, before the first caste.

EDIT:  I personally would not use creature variations in this case.  Because it's only for this one creature (Dragons), I would say it's better to keep all the info in one file.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:17:24 pm by D_E »
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 357