Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420245 times)

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2985 on: June 02, 2011, 01:12:57 am »

Can anyone tell me what affects the reload speed/fire rate of a ranged weapon?
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: June 02, 2011, 02:08:41 am »

Can anyone tell me what affects the reload speed/fire rate of a ranged weapon?

Projectile speed, oddly enough.  There's no currently modifiable field for refire rate, but a weapon can only have a single projectile in transit at a time, so weapons with slower projectiles will fire more slowly.

Note that SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL are independent of each other - it is possible to shoot a very slow projectile with a tremendous amount of force.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: June 02, 2011, 04:11:50 am »

So... say you're a looney, and you wanted to make a rice pudding material due to some interesting nostalgia... what properties would you give it?

And speaking of alien materials... the gold people with The Innsmouth Look acquire... outside of obvious 'whee let's pretend!' differences from gold, what actual differences should it have in DF terms. Or am I just nuts to think it would be in any way -besides color and origin- different from gold? I do have some cludge mcgarbage theories... but I was wondering what odder brains than my own might think.

Where'd the rest of my post go? "You took it to UltraEdit and forgot to paste it before you hit send?" Probably.

Ahem.

Currently my Pudding(stone) Golem -which is a modification of InternetKraken's Earth Golem- is still using "Hardened Earth". I'm trying -and failing- to think of how to properly build the Rice Pudding material... and when I have tried... I often just err on the side of "It's Amazing because it's made of something you'd never want to use for materials."

Successful Tests will probably also lead to Pudding Colossi, and probably Pudding Men.

Current Hardened Earth Raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ahem Ahem. What? I'm using them for numbering...

Current White/Wyrd Gold Raws:

Using a Template incase I need more than 1 of these...

I am of course coming from the insanity of actually spending too much time thinking about how lethal people have been with items of this stuff. The occassional bullet deflecting off a shield the heavy spear point rendering the crewman dead and or spitted.

Granted some of that might be directors having some liberty, or just spearmen or shielduser skill. HOWEVER it is to have the given dirty Innsmouth types only one thing to draw on besides the leavings of battlefields. A Reaction Building all for them -and those willing to build it...

So... thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:44:03 pm by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:13 pm »

Something that I am confused about is the [LAYER_LINKED] entity tag. What all does it actually do? If I put it on Dwarves, would they stop sending merchants? Would they stop building mountainhomes? If you put it on a seigeing race, will they stop sending sieges? Or does it just hide the entity on embark?

This is largely a matter of curiosity for me, but it may be helpful for someone.
...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2989 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:09 pm »

So... say you're a looney, and you wanted to make a rice pudding material due to some interesting nostalgia... what properties would you give it?
I'd start with looking at the numbers that blood, pus, muscle and skin, and put my pudding's numbers somewhere in between. maxedge:0. Freezing point the same as water.
density 1.070 says web. (1000 is water)

Something that I am confused about is the [LAYER_LINKED] entity tag. What all does it actually do?
It's probably very obsolete and does nothing, or makes the entity disappear form the surface world. If you can't find it on the magmawiki, then only Toady knows. (and those who have empirically researched it)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:59:50 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

mars7a

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: June 02, 2011, 05:54:49 pm »

Okay, apparently I can only play as a Cave Fish Man outsider. Any idea why? I made it so you would be able to play as all animal men civs

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: June 02, 2011, 11:17:34 pm »

I'd start with looking at the numbers that blood, pus, muscle and skin, and put my pudding's numbers somewhere in between. maxedge:0. Freezing point the same as water.
density 1.070 says web. (1000 is water)

Somewhere in between. Gotcha. Freezing point of water. Right glad I hate embarking in Temperate or Colder... or me golems'll catch their UNNATURAL DEMISE.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: June 02, 2011, 11:19:51 pm »

How do I make a creatures attack have a syndrome or a temperature?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: June 02, 2011, 11:30:09 pm »

How do I make a creatures attack have a syndrome or a temperature?
Here's cobra bite as an example:

A Legendary Animal trainer
Fae = faster, more agile, dexterous, etc.  Better at dodging
Dire = slower, stronger, tougher, etc.  Thicker hide
Mutant = Could apply to any animal including Fae and Dire, even stronger, faster, tougher, damaging, etc.  Could even give weird effects such as 2 heads, iron skin, pink fur with white horns
pet_exotic tamed only by dungeonmaster is still broken :/
I like the fae speedy things. You could call my Spirit Ravens faeravens instead, but they're half in half out of the material world.
I tried to make a non-flesh ghost apparition, but it crashed the worldgen hard when I set it to large_predator. I'd like more ghosts, very hard to kill (good weapon practice) but deal very little damage (area-stun howl?)
Got ToughMaterials which is given to most cave beasts. Yeah can easily command more skin and muscle thickness. Usually there are giant versions instead of dire versions, Toady loves giantifying.
Mutant Faedogs (rare caste) have firebreath :´) Gargoyles have the nice marble-rock skin. Mutant wolf could have poison bite or thicker materials.
One heavy mutant feature: doesn't die of blood loss.

1 Flying pets?  Eagle, Fae Eagle, Dire Eagle
  2 Working pets?  Got a thing called a Nith Mason.  Thought wow, it would be cool if it really was a mason.  Not sure is this is doable but it would be very coo if there were critters that when trained do tasks.  Carry things, eat body parts, smooth stone, train your dwarves in wrestling, impregnate your spouse-less dwarves....or maybe not.
  3 Growable animal food?  I am really getting tired of my entire map being turned into a wasteland by a couple animals. 
  4 Growable Wood?  Plant a bunch of wood bearing plants on a farm plot and have your woodcutter turn them into logs.
Also, I am having trouble with traps.  I built a cool trap system that should have been the death of a many enemy but instead of walking into it the enemies just stand in the corners of the map until they get board and leave.  I don't even have to close the gates.  It makes me sad....
1. bats and owls could become popular pets, but you really don't see any difference from the flying. Maybe faster speed than dog. Did you mean flying fortress-guard-animals like gargoyles? I made captureable-tameable dragons once... then enemy siege came riding 30 gray dragons APOCALYPSE
2. If they can work, they're a caste of your own civ. Otherwise they're animals or captured enemies.
3. feeding not doable. Dig a soil-layer cave, grass grows there and animals are safe from hostiles. Elephants eat the fastest.
4. Well that might be fun, grow lots of Plant X, and alchemy shop glues the bush's sticks into wooden planks. (wickerwork?) (25 bush to 1 or 2 wood)
Yeah it's a "siege", they're being clever and not rushing forward like dumb werewolves. Siege cuts you off from the outside and harass you. You can try sending one no-skills beardlessdorf out as one-man squad to taunt them. Chain up puppies, maybe they'll attack them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:35:57 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: June 03, 2011, 02:54:08 pm »

Is it possible to make a reaction use the contents of a cage, i.e. a living creature, as an input?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: June 03, 2011, 04:08:13 pm »

Is it possible to make a reaction use the contents of a cage, i.e. a living creature, as an input?
No. Otherwise we would already have altars that take goblins and give bling.

Ooh I encountered a rare thing! Frozen river intersects naturalcave, then I built Zeolite walls to block the river:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:20:18 pm by TomiTapio »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: June 03, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »

How do you make a range weapon use just one type of ammo my weapon uses bolts and the ammo i made for it
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Spork The Slightly Insane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McWrestler cancels attack: sent into orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: June 03, 2011, 08:59:19 pm »

Nevermind, again.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:44:13 pm by Spork The Slightly Insane »

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: June 03, 2011, 09:07:37 pm »

How do you make a range weapon use just one type of ammo my weapon uses bolts and the ammo i made for it

The third token in the RANGED tag sets what type of ammo the weapon uses, while the CLASS tag sets the type of an ammo item.

An example:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KO_Z_SLINGSHOT]
   [NAME:slingshot:slingshots]
   [SIZE:150]
   [SKILL:WHIP]
   [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BULLET]
   [SHOOT_FORCE:10000]
   [SHOOT_MAXVEL:100000]
   [TWO_HANDED:0]
   [MINIMUM_SIZE:1]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
   [ATTACK:BLUNT:1:1:slap:slaps:NO_SUB:1]

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_KO_Z_BULLETS]
   [NAME:bullet:bullets]
   [CLASS:BULLET]
   [SIZE:50]
   [ATTACK:BLUNT:1:2000:hit:hits:NO_SUB:1000]

Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:05 am »

Thanks
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 357