Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420500 times)

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2745 on: April 29, 2011, 11:01:12 pm »

Now then, I need a little bit of help with a reaction, though it's fairly simple now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm getting an error saying "MAKE_PAINT:Unrecognized Material Token: PLANT" presumably from the powder reagent.  I had a few other errors pop up before, but I've got it down to just that one popping up when I start up DF.

PLANT isn't a material token. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Material_token 

You could change it to:

[REAGENT:powder:100:POWDER_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:PAINT]

and then tag the relevant materials with

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:PAINT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:EXTRACT]

I think your product line is a bit weird, too. This should work with my above method.

[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:powder:PAINT]

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: April 30, 2011, 09:09:48 am »

Hello there, fellow Dwarf Fortress modders. I am having a bit of a problem with a giant mosquito demon I created. Namely, the sting attack doesn't work. They push enemies or even wrestle them with their wings (!) but don't use the sting attack. Maybe it has something with me having failed to put on the proboscis on them.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:19:31 am by Naryar »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: April 30, 2011, 09:22:30 am »

Haha oh wow, I made a stirge once.  They were pretty kickass, if a bit easy though. Ended up being a really easy way to gain weapon skill because their attack wasn't strong enough to beat armor.  Sadly I never got around to converting them to .31.

Anyway, does the errorlog come up with anything?  I'm thinking that the proboscis doesn't have any tissues associated with it and can't be used because of that.

As for the wings wrestling you can make a custom wing that is just a copy of the default wings and just remove the limb tag.  That prevents wrestling.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: April 30, 2011, 09:52:25 am »

What errorlog ? DF doesn't crashes, the proboscis just isn't on the strige for some reason.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:58:02 am by Naryar »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: April 30, 2011, 11:07:32 am »

Hmm, actually, I'm not seeing proboscis in the list of vanilla bodyparts (though it does have tissue definitions which threw me off)  if you haven't already try creating a custom bodypart called PROBOSCIS and see if that works.

EDIT: oh and the errorlog should be located in the root DF folder. called errorlog.txt(or just errorlog with an icon that looks like a piece of paper) Just look in the folder where DF is located and it should be there. 

The errorlog is a very useful tool for modders.  If something doesn't work right that is the first thing to check.  DF doesn't have to crash for it to create one, all it needs to do is have something not work right.  Usually modding related stuff like syntax errors, when trying to load a save, create a world, or enter the arena. or an attack being linked to a bodypart that doesn't exist or something.  It will also output pathing errors in unmodded games, though those aren't very important.

P.S. If you don't know how to create a bodypart just copy this code into the end of body_default and that should do the trick and still behave like a stirge...nose...pointy...thing... 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:27:06 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: May 01, 2011, 05:07:00 am »

Yeah, that was it. It works now that I've copypasted your thing into body_default. Thanks !

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: May 05, 2011, 06:23:38 pm »

First off bump.  (Way back at page 5?  Seriously?)

And second anybody know if stuff that is typically trash from butchering (feathers, cartilage, scales, nerves, stuff like that) are useable in custom reactions?  I recently discovered when I butchered a creature who's scales should act like leather in all respects but the name, the scales are simply hauled to a refuse stockpile and aren't usable in either the tanner's workshop or leatherworker's shop.

Worldgen apperantly likes it, since invaders and sometimes civilians show up wearing the stuff, but it just isn't makeable into anything useful in fortress mode.

Right now I'm just trying to get it usable like leather in a leatherworker's shop.  But if I need a custom reaction I am willing to do that, I just don't know how I would get it to take the scales as a reagent even if that was the only option.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: May 05, 2011, 11:27:20 pm »

And second anybody know if stuff that is typically trash from butchering (feathers, cartilage, scales, nerves, stuff like that) are useable in custom reactions?  I recently discovered when I butchered a creature who's scales should act like leather in all respects but the name, the scales are simply hauled to a refuse stockpile and aren't usable in either the tanner's workshop or leatherworker's shop.

Worldgen apperantly likes it, since invaders and sometimes civilians show up wearing the stuff, but it just isn't makeable into anything useful in fortress mode.

Right now I'm just trying to get it usable like leather in a leatherworker's shop.  But if I need a custom reaction I am willing to do that, I just don't know how I would get it to take the scales as a reagent even if that was the only option.

The thing that makes skin tannable into leather is this part in skin's material definition:
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]

The tanning reaction in reaction_other takes an unrotten body part with [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT] and then turns it into leather.

I don't think this is the route you want to go, though, because then it would be leather instead of your special scale material.

There are two possibilities I see for your scales not working in the leatherworking shop -
1) They've rotted and the LW shop needs unrotten items.
2) The LW shop might ask for a skin_tanned item type specifically for its reactions. Without being able to see them (hardcoded) I don't know for sure. If this is the case, you could try to add a [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:SKIN_TANNED:NONE] to your scale material and it would be useable right away after being butchered (if it's the skin_tanned item problem).

If you want you could probably add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SCALE] to your scale material in your creature and then the default "tan a hide" reaction would be able to process your "body part" type scale into a SKIN_TANNED scale if you don't want it to drop already tanned.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2753 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:53 pm »

What is the name of the token you use in the "[PERMITTED_JOB:" field for druid?

I tried DRUID and MAGIC_NATURE and neither worked.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: May 05, 2011, 11:52:32 pm »

The thing that makes skin tannable into leather is this part in skin's material definition:
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]

The tanning reaction in reaction_other takes an unrotten body part with [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT] and then turns it into leather.

I don't think this is the route you want to go, though, because then it would be leather instead of your special scale material.

There are two possibilities I see for your scales not working in the leatherworking shop -
1) They've rotted and the LW shop needs unrotten items.
2) The LW shop might ask for a skin_tanned item type specifically for its reactions. Without being able to see them (hardcoded) I don't know for sure. If this is the case, you could try to add a [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:SKIN_TANNED:NONE] to your scale material and it would be useable right away after being butchered (if it's the skin_tanned item problem).

If you want you could probably add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SCALE] to your scale material in your creature and then the default "tan a hide" reaction would be able to process your "body part" type scale into a SKIN_TANNED scale if you don't want it to drop already tanned.

Just add the tanned product as suggested, and make a SCALE_TANNED material definition. That's how I roll with chitin (-> treated chitin). Or make it to turn into leather, and make creatures to have "scale" for leather within their file, but it's more work.

What is the name of the token you use in the "[PERMITTED_JOB:" field for druid?

I tried DRUID and MAGIC_NATURE and neither worked.
There may be none. This skill became obsolete long time ago, so it's probably not controllable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2755 on: May 05, 2011, 11:54:22 pm »

Ahh, dang. Oh well, thanks.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2756 on: May 06, 2011, 12:57:34 am »

I hate to doublepost but I'm having another problem.

The error log is throwing an "Unrecognized item token" error at me.

Reaction is here.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:QUARTERSTAFF_CARVING]
[NAME:carve a quarterstaff]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_QUARTERSTAFF:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:NONE][FORCE_EDGE]
[SKILL:WOODCRAFT]

I tried just QUARTERSTAFF in the second field in the product line ,and also WEAPON in the first field of the same line. No joy.

Help?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: May 06, 2011, 01:03:58 am »

It should be WEAPON instead of ITEM.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2758 on: May 06, 2011, 01:09:31 am »

I tried that, same error.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: May 06, 2011, 01:19:28 am »

I hate to doublepost but I'm having another problem.

The error log is throwing an "Unrecognized item token" error at me.

Reaction is here.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:QUARTERSTAFF_CARVING]
[NAME:carve a quarterstaff]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:ITEM:ITEM_WEAPON_QUARTERSTAFF:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:NONE][FORCE_EDGE]
[SKILL:WOODCRAFT]

I tried just QUARTERSTAFF in the second field in the product line ,and also WEAPON in the first field of the same line. No joy.

Help?

GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:NONE

should be...

GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE

"A" is the name of the reagent it will use as its material (which you specified when you assigned REAGENT:A).  Also, and probably more importantly, you forgot to give the reaction a number of products.

PRODUCT:100:

needs to be...

PRODUCT:100:1:

100 is the chance.  1 is the number of products.

It should read...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:24:20 am by narhiril »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 357