Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420601 times)

Chuckster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question!
« Reply #2625 on: April 10, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »

So I am trying to make a reaction that requires:
a metal bar(preferably something that usually made for weapons)
a log
Out should come three spears made of the metal bar
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_SPEAR_THREE]
[NAME:Make three spears]
[BUILDING:WEAPONS_FACTORY:CUSTOM_S]
[BUILDING:WEAPONS_FACTORY_MAGMA:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NONE:METAL:NONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RENDER_MAT]
[REAGENT:B:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:3:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A]
[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]

Should this work? Haven't tried testing in the game.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2626 on: April 10, 2011, 01:12:02 pm »

Thanks for the help Sutremaine. Now I just need to figure out how to get the eye colors working.
...That and why DF crashes as soon as world gen is complete...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:16:07 pm by RogueArchivist »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: April 10, 2011, 01:35:23 pm »

Seemingly inconsequential errors (like doubled raws, which do not report in errorlog.txt sometimes) can cause worldgen to balk and crash.  I, myself, have had errors when taking creatures from certain mods, yet were slightly malformed.  Worldgen worked perfectly fine until some strangeness happened with said beasts, and the whole thing crashed.

The bitch of it is, since it's crashing, there is no output in errorlog.txt to tell you what's giving you the problem.  In my case, I only found out what was causing these errors after deleting half the creatures from the raws, and only then did I suspect it was creatures that were doing it since the timing of the crash would change when I likewise changed the creature seed.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: April 10, 2011, 01:42:32 pm »

Now I just need to figure out how to get the eye colors working.
If you alter the eye colours in the same way as the 'skin' colours it should work.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: April 10, 2011, 01:48:12 pm »

-Jeoshua: I checked my raws, and I'm not finding any dupes.

-Sutremaine: The eye color issue is the color mods not being used.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: April 10, 2011, 02:02:31 pm »

Semi-guess: Try EYE:GLASS_CLEAR instead.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: April 10, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »

Well, that cleared up the error log. Still hunting for the cause of the worldgen crashing though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: April 10, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »

DFMM puts its entries in alphabetical order. If there's a dupe that you've missed somehow, it should show up nicely.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: April 10, 2011, 02:46:14 pm »

Where do I find DFMM? And what does it do?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: April 11, 2011, 12:36:19 am »

Going straight to 'select additional caste' from the caste declaration should work, I think. If castes weren't automatically selected upon creation, CASTE or USE_CASTE would require an additional SELECT_CASTE before you could start adding information to them.
So, it's placed in a different order and consolidated with sub-castes? I can see how it reduces the size of the entries, but on the other hand, it's a little more complicated for me to read, because I'm visual based and spacing things out into simpler (and longer, granted) categories helps me visualize graphs and pie charts in my head. It might be a female thing, or it might just be me. :P Thanks for showing me your method, though, I will add it to my notes.
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: April 12, 2011, 07:56:59 pm »

Ah, right. Extracts are created as liquids, which makes them, in the case of fire snakes and liquid fire, LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SNAKE_FIRE:VENOM. The VENOM part was created in the creature entry ( [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:VENOM:FLAME_TEMPLATE] ), and the CREATURE_MAT:SNAKE_FIRE tells the game it's dealing with a material that came from a fire snake. Plants work the same way, except they use PLANT_MAT.

One thing I'm not sure about is the reagent dimensions. Everything in the game uses individual units or a dimension of 150*, so there's not much choice there.
*or multiples thereof when dealing with bars of metal.

Try:
[REAGENT:extract:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:<creature or plant mat>:<creature or plant ID>:<given name of extract material>]
[REAGENT:container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:extract]

With regards to extracts being created as liquids, the initial state seems to be hardcoded. Fire snakes don't alter the temperature settings of the flame template, which explicitly has no melting, freezing, or boiling points. One could probably get a solid extract by selecting a material that's frozen at fortress temperature, but I'm not sure if reactions accept NONE:NONE:[specific creature or plant material] as a reagent.

So if this was my plant:

[PLANT:Iron_Root]
[NAME:iron root][NAME_PLURAL:iron roots][ADJ:iron root]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:50]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[GROWDUR:4032000][VALUE:50]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:EXTRACT:PLANT_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen iron extract]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:iron extract]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling iron extract]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:100]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:1]
[EXTRACT_STORAGE:FLASK]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[EXTRACT_VIAL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:EXTRACT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:100]
[SEED:iron root bud:iron root buds:4:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:1]
[PREFSTRING:winding iron roots]
[WET][DRY]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]
[SHRUB_TILE:148]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:23]
[SHRUB_COLOR:124:34:11]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:0:0:1]
[SPRING]
[FREQUENCY:5]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:tiny leaves]
[PREFSTRING:soothing fragrance]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:182]

Then for turning the extract into a bar, I would need the reagent to look like:

[REAGENT:extract:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:Iron_Root:iron extract]

How would the smelter reactions look like?
[REACTION:Caste_Iron_Extract]
[NAME:Caste Iron Extract]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:Iron_Root:iron root]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:14:42 pm by Flare »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: April 12, 2011, 11:20:11 pm »

[PLANT:Iron_Root]
[NAME:iron root][NAME_PLURAL:iron roots][ADJ:iron root]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:50]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[GROWDUR:4032000][VALUE:50]
Not quite. The ID of the plant should be in all caps with underscores ( [PLANT:IRON_ROOT] ). If you're unsure about whether something needs to be in caps or regular text, go for the caps. Also, a growdur of 4032 means that a plant takes a year to grow.

Then for turning the extract into a bar, I would need the reagent to look like:

[REAGENT:extract:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:Iron_Root:iron extract]
The 'given name' of a material is not what the game displays it as, but the ID it's given when the material template is called. [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:EXTRACT:PLANT_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE] translates roughly into [call material template:for the material ID'd here:and use this particular template]. And then the ID you give in that line is what you use when manipulating that material (you can have numerous materials using the same template in a creature/caste/subcaste or plant, they just have to have different IDs within the creature or whatever). You've got the general idea, you just need to communicate it to the game.

How would the smelter reactions look like?
[REACTION:CASTE_IRON_EXTRACT]
[NAME:Caste Iron Extract]<This is the name that comes up in the workshop menu or in the job manager. Usually it's phrased as a command.
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:extract:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:PLANT_MAT:IRON_ROOT:EXTRACT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

The CONTAINS line is probably a workaround for the old issue of reactions not seeing things in containers. If you ask for "extract" and forget to ask for an "extract"-containing container as well, dwarves won't treat extract and container as a single item (as a human would), and they'll get hung up on not being able to transport just the liquid.

CONTAINS must refer back to the reagent that the container contains. In many vanilla reactions reagents are labelled as A, B, C, etc. as the game doesn't display the reagent names. If you're writing your own reactions, always assume that the game will display whatever label you apply to a particular reagent.

LOCAL_PLANT_MAT is used for, I dunno, referencing a plant material that's been brought up once already. Since this isn't the case here, 'PLANT_MAT:specific stuff' is used instead.

So, it's placed in a different order and consolidated with sub-castes?
Pretty much, though not necessarily with the subcastes (the original I posted was all main castes). You decide it's worth trying to write this particular tag or whatever once and once only, and rearrange the entry to make it happen. Subcastes are for where you can split your creature into two or more 'piles' and have very little crossover between them after that point. Kind of hard to explain... maybe a diagram?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Realised when I was making up this table that I'd forgotten to add intelligence to one caste, heh.

I can see how it reduces the size of the entries, but on the other hand, it's a little more complicated for me to read, because I'm visual based and spacing things out into simpler (and longer, granted) categories helps me visualize graphs and pie charts in my head.
I dunno, I'm visual-based but use it more as a trigger for recollection. If I see the tags there in one place with the caste selections shot through them, I know how it fits together in the same way that I can look at a sentence and know how it fits together. If I could hold which tag belonged to which caste in my short-term memory, I wouldn't need to cram it together. Or maybe I don't exercise my STM because cramming works so well for me. Who knows?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2637 on: April 12, 2011, 11:22:59 pm »

Is it possible to make a mineral show up in a cluster of 1, exclusively?

Ideally I'd like to make it hyper rare (one per map, maybe) too but I'm starting with this.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: April 12, 2011, 11:49:55 pm »

I am trying to make a reaction that will take a rock and a bag and produce a sand filled bag.

Been searching the wiki and this forum for an hour now and I can't tell if this is possible. I know there are some difficulties involved in reactions that consume sand, but I haven't seen anything about creating it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: April 13, 2011, 12:04:31 am »

I don't know if it's possible either, but try:

[REAGENT:empty bag:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][BAG][EMPTY][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:SAND_TAN][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:empty bag]
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 357