Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 409421 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2565 on: April 05, 2011, 11:27:26 am »

Dagnabbit... I've permitted my new reactions in entity_default. That had the mildly annoying result of causing the game to crash once I unpause an embarked location.

Oh well.

I'm so ashamed, I'm dropping this project... now I'll just try to mod some trees or something, like an elf-skilled idiot I am. Like making mahogany have a higher material value, or adding teak...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: April 05, 2011, 12:41:04 pm »

Quick question:

If I told you there was a race of people who lived exclusively in the desert, would you think they were elves? Or humans?

Humans.

To survive in a desert you need to be hardy and resourceful. Elves, with their pansy religions and silly morals, wouldn't be able to make it out there. Unless they find a way to utilize cactuses like trees, though I imagine cactus armor would be even more ineffective.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: April 05, 2011, 01:00:40 pm »

saguaro rib wood sword
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: April 05, 2011, 03:07:55 pm »

been trying to do some custom reactions for some material i've added, but they don't seem to work.  here are the raws

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:PHAZON_COMPRESSION]
[NAME:refine phazon]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:METAL_ORE:INORGANIC:PHAZON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PHAZON][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

[REACTION:RED_PHAZON_COMPRESSION]
[NAME:refine red phazon]
[REAGENT:A:1:METAL_ORE:INORGANIC:RED_PHAZON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:RED_PHAZON][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]

[REACTION:PHAZITE_MANUFACTURE]
[NAME:manufacture phazite]
[REAGENT:A:600:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PHAZON]
[REAGENT:B:600:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:RED_PHAZON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PHAZITE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]

for some reason the both phazon and red phazon refinement use any rocks available and only give phazon bars (even if i select the red phazon reaction), and phazite refinement doesn't make phazite but instead converts two phazon bars to one phazon bar...  anything i'm doing wrong?  the metals and ores i've added are are labled with the 'special:deep' tag

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: April 05, 2011, 04:11:54 pm »

Drop the "INORGANIC" from the METAL_ORE reagents. It should read:

Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:A:1:METAL_ORE:PHAZON]
That should fix the first two taking any rocks as reagents.

Concerning the second reaction only producing phazon bars, are you sure you have red phazon defined with a different name? The only thing I can think of there, given that the reaction looks fine, is that you copied and pasted the phazon entry and forgot to change the name displayed in game. This extends to the third reaction as well - it looks like it should work, so if it's producing the wrong metal, is it possible this is because the metal is named incorrectly?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: April 05, 2011, 04:50:53 pm »

thanks for the help, it wasn't so much that i copied and pasted it but rather that i forgot to give them state names....

another question:  i made a volatile creature with blood that's supposed to cause necrosis with severity 1000, but whenever it dies and sprays blood everywhere the enemies aren't affected by the syndrome.... it says they have the syndrome active, but its not inflicting any harm to them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:16:34 pm by gauld »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: April 06, 2011, 03:58:25 am »

Moving this and deleting the other one, cause I don't think Farce saw this. If there's anything I'm very wrong about or doesn't need to be changed cause it won't affect anything, let me know, as I'm still learning myself. :)
Sorry!  I've been a bit preoccupied, so I hadn't made time to type up a reply yet.  :x  I've managed to get them in worldgen - I haven't encountered them in Fort mode, and I haven't tried them out in Adventure mode yet, though.

Make sure you check for an errorlog in the DF main folder.
I wasn't aware it existed beforehand.  :x  It was really helpful, thanks for pointing it out.

Unless it was intentional, you might want to add a few [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:xxx], otherwise you could end up with orc places with pretty, lovely, flowery names.  :-*
I'm fine with the flowery names.  I'm going for more a boisterous, violent joie de vivre, so orcs that loev flowers is cool.  Also, my idea for 'em came about when I didn't realize giving them the "birth" art/sphere/whatever would make them emblazon their shields with babies.  The mental image of humongous, ridiculously strong, half-naked green guys charging into battle and eviscerating everything while using bloodspattered shields decorated with babies was hilarious, so if I keep from culling other stuff I might get lucky with something else funny.

Also I didn't want to go through the list again.

They start in cities, but then they try to move to ruins and caves? You could try adding [LIKES_SITE:CITY] and see if that helps them prosper a little, but I'm just guessing at that one.
I wanted them to have little villages and stuff visible on the adventure travel map, but also live in caves and other primitive kinda stuff like that.  I don't think there're any appropriate sites, so I sorta just half-assed it.  :x

I think the soldier tile is only needed if it's different than the creature tile. Probably not a huge deal though.
Yeah.  They were displaying as blank spaces, so I think that was the issue.

2HEART
There is no such thing as a 2HEART body tag. You can't just add a number to that, it's just a tag name. You could call it POOP and it would still be a heart if you gave it heart parameters. lol You will have to make a tag and specify the two hearts and what they are used for. Look under the body_default for the HEART and 2LUNGS for an idea of how that works and then make your own body_orc file with that one new part. I have two hearts for my centaurs, but one is larger and located in the lower body but it works the same way, so let me know if you have any trouble.[/quote]
I've since made a 2HEART body thing, as well as a TEETH_WITH_TUSKS tag - which is the regular TEETH entry with the lower canines replaced.  I'm not sure if they work, though - haven't seen 'em in my current game, and I haven't checked out Arena with 'em yet.  ...I think I might've done sommat wrong though, as a quick adventure mode didn't display their tusks when in the targetting menu.

Is that intentional? 9 years old they are 85 kg and then they grow to 100 kg at age 60? Not saying it wouldn't work or that you can't do it, but consider the age limit you gave them starting at 40. If they can possibly die of old age at 40, should they be growing again at age 60? Just curious what that's all about, really.

I don't know if this is a problem, but your orcs don't live that long. You started their old age at 40 and maxed it at 95. For reference, dwarves' maxage is 150-170, so that's why their gray and white hair growth stopping points are higher.

Same deal here. 60 is when you wanted body size to grow again, so why would they start to get wrinkly skin at 60?
Yeah, intentional.  I wanted to make even buffer elder-orcs, so I gave them an extra growth in their old age - the normal adult ones are already bigger and stronger than everything else, so these superpowered ones should be rarer due to old age.  The hair-graying and wrinklifiying things weren't touched - made the creature file by copying and editing the Dwarf file, so it's the same.  I didn't really want to bother with it.  :x

Let's just say their bodies stay healthy and strong into their old age, or something.  That makes sense sorta, right?

You don't have crossbows in your entity file.
Yeah.  Also a leftover from the Dorf file.  It's not really doin' anything, so might as well leave it, no?

This is under debate. It's a new tag and we're unsure if it makes a creature default to a rage state. But you do need a number here I believe. Start with 1 and see what happens?
Yeah, I didn't see them raging without the :1.  I haven't tested that yet either, though, but it should work - I copied the entry from the giant badger entry.

That would restrict orcs to Savage areas. Did you make high Savage worlds so that they are more likely to survive?
Yeah, I was tweaking the savagery up in worldgen.  I think it was due to choosing a rare biome - I didn't know which was rare and which wasn't, and I sorta didn't see the biome thing in the wiki.  Once I found that, I switched 'em over to something resembling the human's.

Here's their current files, if you wanna take a look.  I'll probably change them around later.  Pastebin'd because character limit.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: April 06, 2011, 04:00:05 am »

Moving this and deleting the other one, cause I don't think Farce saw this. If there's anything I'm very wrong about or doesn't need to be changed cause it won't affect anything, let me know, as I'm still learning myself. :)
Sorry!  I've been a bit preoccupied, so I hadn't made time to type up a reply yet.  :x  I've managed to get them in worldgen - I haven't encountered them in Fort mode, and I haven't tried them out in Adventure mode yet, though.

Make sure you check for an errorlog in the DF main folder.
I wasn't aware it existed beforehand.  :x  It was really helpful, thanks for pointing it out.

Unless it was intentional, you might want to add a few [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:xxx], otherwise you could end up with orc places with pretty, lovely, flowery names.  :-*
I'm fine with the flowery names.  I'm going for more a boisterous, violent joie de vivre, so orcs that loev flowers is cool.  Also, my idea for 'em came about when I didn't realize giving them the "birth" art/sphere/whatever would make them emblazon their shields with babies.  The mental image of humongous, ridiculously strong, half-naked green guys charging into battle and eviscerating everything while using bloodspattered shields decorated with babies was hilarious, so if I keep from culling other stuff I might get lucky with something else funny.

The image linked in the face in my sig was from that, too, I think.

They start in cities, but then they try to move to ruins and caves? You could try adding [LIKES_SITE:CITY] and see if that helps them prosper a little, but I'm just guessing at that one.
I wanted them to have little villages and stuff visible on the adventure travel map, but also live in caves and other primitive kinda stuff like that.  I don't think there're any appropriate sites, so I sorta just half-assed it.  :x

I think the soldier tile is only needed if it's different than the creature tile. Probably not a huge deal though.

2HEART
There is no such thing as a 2HEART body tag. You can't just add a number to that, it's just a tag name. You could call it POOP and it would still be a heart if you gave it heart parameters. lol You will have to make a tag and specify the two hearts and what they are used for. Look under the body_default for the HEART and 2LUNGS for an idea of how that works and then make your own body_orc file with that one new part. I have two hearts for my centaurs, but one is larger and located in the lower body but it works the same way, so let me know if you have any trouble.
I've since made a 2HEART body thing, as well as a TEETH_WITH_TUSKS tag - which is the regular TEETH entry with the lower canines replaced.  I'm not sure if they work, though - haven't seen 'em in my current game, and I haven't checked out Arena with 'em yet.  ...I think I might've done sommat wrong though, as a quick adventure mode didn't display their tusks when in the targetting menu.

Is that intentional? 9 years old they are 85 kg and then they grow to 100 kg at age 60? Not saying it wouldn't work or that you can't do it, but consider the age limit you gave them starting at 40. If they can possibly die of old age at 40, should they be growing again at age 60? Just curious what that's all about, really.

I don't know if this is a problem, but your orcs don't live that long. You started their old age at 40 and maxed it at 95. For reference, dwarves' maxage is 150-170, so that's why their gray and white hair growth stopping points are higher.

Same deal here. 60 is when you wanted body size to grow again, so why would they start to get wrinkly skin at 60?
Yeah, intentional.  I wanted to make even buffer elder-orcs, so I gave them an extra growth in their old age - the normal adult ones are already bigger and stronger than everything else, so these superpowered ones should be rarer due to old age.  The hair-graying and wrinklifiying things weren't touched - made the creature file by copying and editing the Dwarf file, so it's the same.  I didn't really want to bother with it.  :x

Let's just say their bodies stay healthy and strong into their old age, or something.  That makes sense sorta, right?

You don't have crossbows in your entity file.
Yeah.  Also a leftover from the Dorf file.  It's not really doin' anything, so might as well leave it, no?

This is under debate. It's a new tag and we're unsure if it makes a creature default to a rage state. But you do need a number here I believe. Start with 1 and see what happens?
Yeah, I didn't see them raging without the :1.  I haven't tested that yet either, though, but it should work - I copied the entry from the giant badger entry.

That would restrict orcs to Savage areas. Did you make high Savage worlds so that they are more likely to survive?
Yeah, I was tweaking the savagery up in worldgen.  I think it was due to choosing a rare biome - I didn't know which was rare and which wasn't, and I sorta didn't see the biome thing in the wiki.  Once I found that, I switched 'em over to something resembling the human's.

Here's their current files, if you wanna take a look.  I'll probably change them around later.  Pastebin'd because character limit.
[/quote]

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: April 06, 2011, 04:26:41 am »

Greetings.

I shouldn't put any massive amounts of spoiler tags just to cover text that's no longer relevant in this post.

Ahem.

Has anyone noticed if there's a Cut Off on BODY_SIZE? That is to say "Under this amount and it tosses your numbers out for 1:0 and 2:0"?

I ask because I was testing a [PET] tagged civ with [ADOPTS_OWNER], and while those parts seemed fine... I didn't have QUITE the Baby Splosion I was expecting. Nor the Quick Grow Army either. Any ideas?
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:44 am »

bumping above walls of text  :D
accessing the "flame" material - how?
also: any ideas on making a flamethrower with this (well, a plasma gun really :D) without it burning the user?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:52 am »

Quick question:

If I told you there was a race of people who lived exclusively in the desert, would you think they were elves? Or humans?

Humans.

To survive in a desert you need to be hardy and resourceful. Elves, with their pansy religions and silly morals, wouldn't be able to make it out there. Unless they find a way to utilize cactuses like trees, though I imagine cactus armor would be even more ineffective.

Too bad there isn't a [DESERT_ADAPTED] tag to make them freaking survive there.  I've tried everything, and humans put in the desert almost always die. Then again the world I'm genning this for is an Eeeevil Savage desert, so I guess I should be happy that any have survived at all, neh?

Oh wait yes I should actually say something about this:

Always use a specific world to do your testing in.  A specific seed, or import, anything so long as it's STATIC.  Imports work better for this since changing some worldgen options makes the random seed change halfway through, as do changes to raws.  so in order to do proper experimentation, you need the same exact world over and over again.  Otherwise, how do you know that the change you made to the entity or creature truly reflect your changes that you made, rather than changes in the environment that you aren't in control of?

I appologize if this is obvious to some of you, but I have really come to appreciate this method and figured I'd share.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: April 06, 2011, 08:20:17 pm »

Is it possible to mod the caravans guards, or the number of them that come with the caravans, or is it hard coded? Also, I know how to edit how much the beasts of burden can carry, but is it possible to edit how many of them come per caravan as well?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: April 06, 2011, 08:39:01 pm »

bumping above walls of text  :D
accessing the "flame" material - how?
also: any ideas on making a flamethrower with this (well, a plasma gun really :D) without it burning the user?
The 'flame' material can't really be weaponised in the sense of being used as ammo. To make it loadable into a weapon you'd have to make it solid, and then it wouldn't be the template as written. I've been working on flamethrowers and have the reactions and products sorted, I just need to set the ammo and material properties (just, lol). The easy part is setting the material's boiling point to just below the homeotherm of whatever you're dealing with. The harder part, assuming you want a syndrome delivery system that won't kill a target by itself, is making the ammo have a high rate of stuckins without it going through too many tissue layers. I believe that making it extremely sharp with a small contact area and low penetration is the best place to start, mostly because I don't know exactly what the velocity multiplier and material density would do in this situation.

A secondary concern is getting the right visual effect. Obscene weapon skill would create enough flying bolts to mimic a stream of material, but then the ammo runs out very quickly. I have tried creating ammo directly into a quiver using a reaction (afaik, this protects it from temperature or something), but it gets created on the floor even when I order a stack of only 25.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: April 06, 2011, 09:51:33 pm »

Anyone been able to get a reaction product using the FOOD item token (making it a prepared meal)?  Every time I try to use it the game crashes when it completes.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: April 07, 2011, 03:21:02 am »

Might want to remove that repeat post. Just modify the original if you make a mistake.  ;)

Good deal. Oh, and if you make a new test world, it's good to erase everything in the errorlog first or those old errors might confuse ya into thinking they are still there.

The mental image of humongous, ridiculously strong, half-naked green guys charging into battle and eviscerating everything while using bloodspattered shields decorated with babies was hilarious, so if I keep from culling other stuff I might get lucky with something else funny.
LOL

Understandable, but if you change your mind, just take from the goblin list.

Only the soldiers were blank? Was that before or after giving them a tile?

I've since made a 2HEART body thing...
Yup, you got it, but I think each body part needs a different tag for itself so the game knows which one is which while in combat. Besides, it'll also help you if you ever need to specify one of the hearts for a variant. For instance, I wanted my centaurs' four legs to have very different markings. You can of course, call your hearts whatever you'd like. Perhaps PHEART and SHEART would be better?

[BP:RHEART:primary heart:STP]
        [BP:LHEART:secondary heart:STP]

as well as a TEETH_WITH_TUSKS tag
From the looks of it, the tusks need to be a separate body part and can't have different sizes in the same grouping. Also the tag is [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:x] not just SIZE. I suggest taking a look at GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH and design something based on that.

The hair-graying and wrinklifiying things weren't touched - made the creature file by copying and editing the Dwarf file, so it's the same.
Well, that's odd. It wasn't the same as my vanilla dwarves (v31.21), so that's the only reason I said anything.

It's an interesting concept. They have 20 years of their bodies starting to shut down like an inevitable long-term disease and if they make it to age 60 they become stronger. The problem is that DF will still make them die of old age anytime after that. There's no way of putting old age on hold that I know of, and it is unknown if each year gives out a higher chance of dying as the years go by.

I think it was due to choosing a rare biome - I didn't know which was rare and which wasn't, and I sorta didn't see the biome thing in the wiki.
Oh yeah.. You could always make custom world settings (advanced parameters) if you really want them to live in a particular biome, but you'd probably be better off leaving that alone until after getting things working in vanilla.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:42:17 am by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 357