Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 409417 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2505 on: March 30, 2011, 09:59:56 am »

Say, I've been out of the modding game for a little while, so I'm a little unused to some of these new tokens, having never used them, but read some about them...

About a month ago, I was talking about how to make glazes for pottery better balanced by both adding more glazes in, but also by first reducing a single ore unit into a powder that could be used in multiple glazing reactions, so that instead of one tin unit making one pot's worth of glaze, one tin unit made 5 or 10 units of glaze powder, and each glaze powder made one pot's worth of glaze. 

Now, I'm actually getting around to trying doing this, and Quietust was kind enough to basically lay out how he would do it, but I have a question on his method:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_GLAZE]
[NAME:make glaze powder]
[BUILDING:QUERN:CUSTOM_G]
[BUILDING:MILLSTONE:CUSTOM_G]
[REAGENT:glaze:1:ANY_RAW_MATERIAL:NONE:NONE:NONE] ANY_RAW_MATERIAL means powder/bars/boulders/globs
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT]
[REAGENT:bag:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][BAG][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:POWDER_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:GLAZE_MAT][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bag]
[SKILL:MILLING]
For each glazing reaction:
[REAGENT:glaze:1:ANY_RAW_MATERIAL:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT]
->
[REAGENT:glaze:150:POWDER_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE]
[REAGENT:glaze container:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][BAG][CONTAINS:glaze][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[IMPROVEMENT:100:whatever:GLAZED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:GLAZE_MAT]
->
[IMPROVEMENT:100:whatever:GLAZED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:NONE]
Finally, edit inorganic_other.txt and add [REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE] to each glaze material, then edit entity_default.txt and permit the MAKE_GLAZE reaction.

Seems to work rather nicely - one chunk of cassiterite makes 5 units of tin glaze powder, 1 bar of ash makes 5 units of ash glaze powder, and you only use 1 unit per glazing job.

Now, if I do it this way, wouldn't it be possible to still use an ore as a glaze instead of a powder, and worse, would it be possible to use a powder to make more powder?

Do I need to use a ANY_POWDER_MATERIAL token, and does such a token exist? 

Or should I just create two sets of reaction tokens - "Makes glaze powder" and "Is a glaze powder" to separate out the steps of the process?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: March 30, 2011, 12:54:19 pm »

His face is marked with a "star" and "strip". His right front leg is marked with a "sock". His left front leg is plain. His right rear leg is marked with a "stocking". His left rear leg is marked with a "pastern".
How do you get 'marked with a' into the descriptions?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: March 30, 2011, 01:01:16 pm »

Make it part of the colour itself?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: March 30, 2011, 01:17:14 pm »

The formatting makes it makes it look like it's part of the text, with "star" and "strip" being the inserted parts instead of "marked with a star and strip". I know you can put any combination of words between is / are and the full stop or appearance modifier as long as it's classed as a colour, but I was hoping there was a way of manipulating the description text that I didn't know about.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: March 30, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »

Hi, I haven't done much with modding and my search fu is weak, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'd like to mod mountainhomes and forest retreats back into the game for adventure mode. I seem to recall somebody having done this previously, at least to the extent that dwarves and elves had adventure mode sites identical to the humans. Any thoughts/suggestions/instructions?

Thanks for your time!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2510 on: March 30, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »

I'd like to mod mountainhomes and forest retreats back into the game for adventure mode. I seem to recall somebody having done this previously, at least to the extent that dwarves and elves had adventure mode sites identical to the humans. Any thoughts/suggestions/instructions?
Open entity_default.txt in your raws folder.

Under the dwarf entity ([ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]) find the lines that read:

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[LIKES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]

Change these to read:

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CITY]

Do the same for the Elves ([ENTITY:FOREST]), change the lines that read:

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:TREE_CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:TREE_CITY]

to read:

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CITY]

This will cause Elves and Dwarves to have human-style towns instead of non-existent tree cities and mountainhomes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: March 30, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »

A thousand thanks to you, good sir!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: March 31, 2011, 12:47:04 pm »

Is it possible to make a civilization that has multiple creatures in it? According to the wiki if an entity has multiple creatures they will be chosen at random, but I'm not sure if that means only one creature will be randomly selected and used or if all of them will.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: March 31, 2011, 12:49:11 pm »

If I remember correctly one creature's picked randomly per civ generated, so each individual civ has an equal chance of getting each creature.

I haven't tested this recently, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: March 31, 2011, 01:03:35 pm »

there's a vanilla example, the cavern thingman civs, they're all only one entity, but there are antman civs, cave swallowman civs, etc.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #2515 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:55 pm »

So, I made a new entity (with a new race), but for some reason they won't trade with anybody- Even if I make them playable and play as them, it still says NO TRADE next to their name on the 'neighbors' screen. What's up with that?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:13:44 pm by Hydrall »
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: March 31, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »

What animals do they have access to?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2517 on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:20 pm »

So, I made a new entity (with a new race), but for some reason they won't trade with anybody- Even if I make them playable and play as them, it still says NO TRADE next to their name on the 'neighbors' screen. What's up with that?
Go in to Legends mode and take a look to see if they have any surviving civilizations, and what part of the map those civilizations occupy.  Are you in a part of the map that any of their civilizations can reach?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: March 31, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »

It would be easier to identify the problem if you posted the entity RAWs.  I'm thinking it may be a simple oversight that's causing this, such as forgetting to set an active season.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: April 01, 2011, 12:20:52 am »

Hi. Due to my fort's abundance of lead and nothing worth making sharp objects with, I am trying to make lead a valid weapon trap component (spiked balls). I added [ITEMS_WEAPON] to the LEAD entry in inorganic_metal but that didn't seem to do anything. What do I do next?

By the way is there a FAQ for basic modding like this? Seems like the kind of question that would get asked every few pages.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 357