Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 420084 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2385 on: March 19, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »

Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SCALE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GREEN:6:RED:6:GOLD:12:BRONZE:10:BLUE:6:WHITE:10:BLACK:13:VIOLET:17]
            [TLCM_NOUN:scales:PLURAL]

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_BLACK:1:IRIS_EYE_YELLOW:2]
            [TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
Eyes use color patterns. IRIS_EYE is for pupil-iris-sclera eyes and PUPIL_EYE is for pupil-iris eyes (so, no visible white).

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
         [BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:WIDENESS:50:70:90:100:110:130:200]

WIDENESS is not a valid modifier. Check the 'appearance modifiers' section (4.38) of the string dump's wiki entry and the appropriate text in section 42. It's hard-coded to quite an extent, but you can 'fool' the game into applying the modifiers for other things (I was able to get tangled hair this way).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: March 19, 2011, 09:14:07 pm »

Hopefully, I'll be able to get a nice animal behaviors suggestion going, but we can get some data on how to make proper animal attacks, having animal skins that are properly thick (so that alligator hide is thicker than human skin), and all sorts of other much-needed work on making decent animal bodies and behaviors.
I suggest splitting attacks into different types that function for all creatures and work in concert with the predator tags. Some very quick examples:
[ATTACK_METHOD:CHOKE] Creature attempts to take and keep hold of a [THROAT] body part wherever possible.
[ATTACK_METHOD:BITE] Creature uses bite attacks wherever possible.
[ATTACK_METHOD:TAKE_DOWN] Creature attempts to disable a [STANCE] body part wherever possible.

In the case of multiple attack methods being available in one turn, the first one would take priority. A takedown-choke-bite creature would try and cripple a target before choking it with whatever part it had free, preferring to use the mouth for this purpose. A bite-choke-takedown creature would bite the throat if available, the rest of the body if not, and any crippling attacks would be secondary. How the creature would decide which attack to use... I dunno, calculate the attacks as normal and then add a number of 'points' to any attack that fulfils the attack method criteria? This would allow Toady to program some basic behaviour into animals, but leave plenty for the modders to work with.

I've thought a little about this myself. I'd like to have something similar to the adventure mode combat preferences [C]. So for each creature / caste you could have:
Current attack preference:
According to opponent, Strike, Charge, Close combat.
Current dodge preference:
Stand ground, Move around.
Current charge defence:
According to opponent, Dodge away, Stand ground.

Rhinos charging is an example of the kinds of behaviour I'd like to see in game.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: March 19, 2011, 09:46:37 pm »

As a fellow reptilian modder I've been trying to puzzle out why their lips are always green for you and after you posted the raws I had a thought that yer invalid

[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:WIDENESS:50:70:90:100:110:130:200]

might be causing the green, causing that bodypart to revert to default color.  But when I checked it seems the default color for scales is grey... so much for that line or reasoning.

Anyway fixing that wideness thing might fix it anyway.  Might be doing some weird stuff to the bodypart when it can't understand the raw completely.  So after you do that might be worth checking on it again.

-------------------------

As for the scales always being violet I think I know what's happening. The color modifiers are supposed to all be in one tag I belive, like so...

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:RED:1:CRIMSON:1:SCARLET:1:MAROON:1]

Each number is the chance relative to the other numbers to happen, which you seem to already understand.  Just keep adding more colors to the tag til you have all the colors you want.  With them all being separate tags they all overwrite eachother, until the last one declared, violet, is the only one that matters.

EDIT: Actually in the raws Sutremaine posted looks like he spotted that last bit as well. Ninja'd by an hour...blast.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:55:10 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: March 19, 2011, 10:10:07 pm »

Quick question about castes and graphics - is it possible to have a separate set of graphics for each caste in a graphics set?  So that you have a male miner then a female miner, for example?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: March 19, 2011, 10:43:30 pm »

Sweet. My Drakes are ready to be integrated as soon as this fort dies. Thanks guys. :D
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: March 19, 2011, 11:04:50 pm »

Quick question about castes and graphics - is it possible to have a separate set of graphics for each caste in a graphics set?  So that you have a male miner then a female miner, for example?

No, sadly.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: March 19, 2011, 11:24:33 pm »

Ah...  :-[

Mmmm...

Hurr...

So...

Done with dinner, listening to winamp, it's on shuffle and just happens to pick a song from "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron" soundtrack.

"And we were the same, just the same, you and I."
"We are like birds of a feather. We are two hearts joined together. We will be forever as one, my brother under the sun."
---Brothers Under the Sun by Bryan Adams

And it dawns on me.

coughIforgottoremovethefancifulcentaurcough  ::)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:26:15 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: March 19, 2011, 11:26:11 pm »

Ahahahaha!

Well that would certainly cause the crashes then.   Don't worry it happens to the best...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: March 19, 2011, 11:29:51 pm »

Though, sometimes, the game will make stuff anyway. The 'common domestic' tag overrides the 'does not exist' tag.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: March 20, 2011, 12:46:51 am »

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:RED:1:CRIMSON:1:SCARLET:1:MAROON:1]

Each number is the chance relative to the other numbers to happen, which you seem to already understand.  Just keep adding more colors to the tag til you have all the colors you want.  With them all being separate tags they all overwrite eachother, until the last one declared, violet, is the only one that matters.
Do keep in mind that there's order weight too (not sure why, I think it's a bug)
For example, to get my rainbow eagle (posted in the strangest thing thread) females to evenly distribute themselves through the rainbow, the tag had to be
RED:1:ORANGE:2:YELLOW:3:GREEN:4:BLUE:5:INDIGO:6:VIOLET:7
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: March 20, 2011, 08:45:48 am »

Hm, that explains why Maroon colored Dracon are so rare.  Thanks for the heads up Jay.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: March 20, 2011, 09:01:24 am »

Good to know, Jay, but luckily I put the most common first nayway. My drakes are suuposed to be a mess of Reds, Blues, and Greens with the rare (but not unheard of) Bronzes, Golds, Whites and Blacks. Violets are so incredibly rare I was debating giving them special abilities, but I think I'll just keep it as a rare scale color.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: March 20, 2011, 09:51:30 am »

Violets are so incredibly rare I was debating giving them special abilities, but I think I'll just keep it as a rare scale color.
You could multiply values of things made from violet drake materials..
[SELECT_CASTE:VIOLET] --Hurr.  You've used this tag before, no doubt.
    [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]  --At least, I -hope- that these are caste-level tags...
            [MULTIPLY_VALUE:4] --Makes ALL materials from the caste worth 4x the normal ☼ value
Although, if you want it to be -just- a rare scale color, just apply that to the scales (which I'm hoping you're planning some uses for)
Probably not 4x, that's just a placeholder number, like all of the values to all three of those tokens :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:53:15 am by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: March 20, 2011, 10:07:43 am »

Material selection is caste-level.

Are there any creature tags that are creature-level without having a caste-level equivalent (eg. profession name vs. caste profession name)?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: March 20, 2011, 11:19:20 am »

Material selection is caste-level.

Are there any creature tags that are creature-level without having a caste-level equivalent (eg. profession name vs. caste profession name)?

The only things I remember are Megabeast and Biome, which are to prevent megabeasts from massively repopulating and to prevent genders from being unable to live in the same region as their opposite gender, thus making breeding impossible.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 357