Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419758 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2235 on: March 11, 2011, 06:26:23 pm »

Argh, i'm about to explode and i need help. I'm trying to add a new bodypart to a dwarf, but the error log keeps saying "NO TISSUE THICKNESS, NUMBSKULL" even though i've clearly defined [RELATIVE_THICKNESS] in the tissue layer. Here are the raws:

Spoiler: body detail plan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: body (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: tissue template (click to show/hide)

Aaand the error log.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's driving me crazy! What the hell am i doing wrong? DF itself isn't exactly being informative, so i'm hoping you guys can enlighten me.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: March 11, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »

So as far as ambushes are concerned is there any way to influence when they start coming? Sieges are easily controlled with population triggers, but ambushes don't follow that rule.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: March 11, 2011, 06:38:30 pm »

Argh, i'm about to explode and i need help. I'm trying to add a new bodypart to a dwarf, but the error log keeps saying "NO TISSUE THICKNESS, NUMBSKULL" even though i've clearly defined [RELATIVE_THICKNESS] in the tissue layer.
You need to add something else to the 'vertebrate tissue layers' part of the body detail plan file, so that the game knows how much of each tissue type is going into the relevant part.

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact arguments needed, but assuming everything is called ANGER except the templates then it'll be [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:ANGER:ANGER:100]
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: March 11, 2011, 06:45:51 pm »

Is there any way to change the amount of bars needed to make weapons/armor?  E.g. if I wanted breastplates to actually take the 3 bars it should require.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: March 11, 2011, 07:41:50 pm »

Is there any way to change the amount of bars needed to make weapons/armor?  E.g. if I wanted breastplates to actually take the 3 bars it should require.
That's a bug.   The only way around it would be to make a custom reaction for each item, and that would be cluttered.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:23 pm »

Hah, great so that won't even work because of ANOTHER bug that doesn't allow you to disable the armorer permitted_job :(

Edit: Nevermind, finally found the mod I read a while ago that accomplished it.  Now I gotta find out how it works.

Edit: Oh that is funny.  So it looks like the forge accidently uses 150 times less material_size (like a smelter) rounded to the nearest bar or something.  Well that's easy to fix :D  Or not... looks like intensifying mod does aomething else as well.

Edit: Yeah it was 450 times the amount of bars you want.  Awesome.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:29:56 pm by Greep »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: March 11, 2011, 09:07:43 pm »

Is it possible to make a creature produce gas only when damaged at high temperatures? I've been fooling around with the iron man entry and the arena, but I either get a gas which dribbles out once it gets below its boiling point, or a solid that boils away once it gets above its boiling point regardless of injury (iron man stuff is a gas that's always above boiling point, and it stays inside somehow). I've also tried fooling around with blood, as that's one substance that the game seems able to tag as 'inside the body until it's disturbed', but it just evaporates instead of producing clouds.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: March 11, 2011, 09:29:29 pm »

Please be warned, as I am a master WoT rambler extraordinaire. tl;dr is my middle name.  :P

Heilsa dvergr vinr!
(Hello dwarven friends! Old Norse)

I am the Spectre Incarnate, ghost of many lives. I played Dwarf Fortress a couple years back with my husband and was instantly hooked, cause I am a sucker for in-depth micromanagement and organization sims, so this is like the ultimate dream game. I never used utilities or the manager... I *am* the manager.  8)

So, I'm very familiar with the game itself, but never got into the modding community because I knew I'd become obsessed with it and probably start a large my-eyes-are-bigger-than-my-brain project and never finish it. Eh.. knew that wouldn't last after seeing this thread and reading the entire thing over a week--why, yes, I am insane. Thank you for noticing.  ;D  And yes, I know about the wiki, but I'm a visual-and-experience-based learner, so this method was more fun and intuitive for me.

Oddly enough, while reading through the thread, I found that most instances of confusion between coder and mod were spelling mistakes, missing components, and lack of examination of one's own work before posting. I am by no means perfect, but I encourage everyone to proof-read and check things before assuming there is a serious problem.

@GaxkangtheUnbound

@Saetar33:

@mcdonaldjord:

@Urist Imiknorris:

@Japa:

@Flaede:

@Flare:

@Lofn:

@Simmura McCrea

Now for some ideas. Would any of these be possible, even in part or a very roundabout manner?

TILE MAGIC x10
Well, this one isn't a mod, but I wondered if the mod community would like it as a suggestion. I have no idea why we can't just make tilesets with more tiles, but since we can't... maybe we could utilize graphics tiles more efficiently by having them actively flip, rotate, or mirror with a setting in the raws under the tile allocation. I'm not sure how plausible this would be, but it would make for some interesting tileset designs... e.g. barrels are standing upright, but pumps could be sitting sideways. Or barrels could be sideways until filled with something, then they stand upright? Or say, with Ironhand's tile magic set, the squirrel can be a frog or a snake, but the snake is the squirrel's tail and is somewhat floating, so if you could rotate it so it was more visibly crawling along the ground... etc. You see what I'm saying? Tile magic x10!

AIR FRESHENER / SCENTED SOAP / FLOWERS
Would it be possible to mod an item to have a sweet smell created from a plant? Dwarf might get a happy thought while walking by?

VEGETARIAN
Rare dwarf condition. Refuses to eat all meat. If forced to eat meat, might get unhappy thought? Perhaps a caste, perhaps just personality?

MAKE-UP / WAR PAINT "MASKS"
Ground up powdered gems and ash to make into symbols and designs and put into a dwarf's inventory, like the Egyptians did for their elaborate make-up. Kind of odd to have it be an object that can be removed like a mask, but I think it's a fair trade-off for a pure "cosmetic" (ba-dum-*tsssh*).

CENTAUR
Fanciful my butt. They are my favorite mythological creature and they will be in my worlds. Has anyone made working centaurs and where can I get them? And are they D&D pansies or true Grecian warriors who ate the flesh of man!? RAWR! I will make them do the unthinkable... live underground and dig! Dig! DIG!!  :D
Hmm, how could I designate what a body part can wear, cause they totally need a humanoid torso cloak and a horse's jousting blanket. What about using a bow or javelin for ranged attacks, but switching to a hoof attack if caught in melee?

Mwahahaha... RAWR!!

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:18 pm »

Clothing locations are determined by the file they're in. By vanilla, coats and shirts attach themselves to the UPPERBODY parts, and trousers and underwear to the LOWERBODY parts. For a centaur to have different clothing for the humanoid and the horse parts, the whole human torso would be UPPERBODY and the whole horse body would be LOWERBODY. So you'd have jousting blankets in the same file as pants. There is a centaur body provided by the game, though it doesn't specify what it means by upper and lower body.

They won't use javelins as distance weapons because throwing isn't a military option in DF. You can make a javelin-weapon that fires javelin-ammo if you so wish, which is close enough. They will use hoof attacks if they're set to have them, but will prefer using a weapon if they have one.

Centaurs are in the Genesis mod and are a new addition, don't know what they're like.

Air fresheners and other things: not possible to have something produce anti-miasma. Dwarves might admire buildings that require the Architecture labour, in which case one could build a 1x1 custom workshop that produced good thoughts.
Vegetarianism: not an option right now. May be implemented at a later date once ingestible syndromes are introduced, may be inexplicably missing.
Makeup: can't really be done in a satisfactory way. You can make a mask item, but dwarves won't wear it unless they're told to. You could reflavour it into a proper mask given only to dwarves you deem worthy, but no, dwarves won't casually woad and kohl themselves up as they feel like it.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #2244 on: March 12, 2011, 02:32:59 am »

I'm confused about the material tokens. From what i understood from the wiki:
[IMPACT_] tokens are used for calculation against blunt attacks.
[SHEART_] the same as before but for cutting attacks.
[DENSITY] influence the weight and the damage of blunt attacks.
So, what token influences the damage of edge attacks?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: March 12, 2011, 04:03:05 am »

Argh, i'm about to explode and i need help. I'm trying to add a new bodypart to a dwarf, but the error log keeps saying "NO TISSUE THICKNESS, NUMBSKULL" even though i've clearly defined [RELATIVE_THICKNESS] in the tissue layer.
You need to add something else to the 'vertebrate tissue layers' part of the body detail plan file, so that the game knows how much of each tissue type is going into the relevant part.

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact arguments needed, but assuming everything is called ANGER except the templates then it'll be [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:ANGER:ANGER:100]

You don't need to do this (and in fact probably shouldn't as it involves modifiying the vanilla files). Instead, add the lines USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:ANGER:ANGER_TEMPLATE and TISSUE_LAYER:ANGER:ANGER after the BODY line.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: March 12, 2011, 06:24:45 am »

Today I discovered you can mod animals to be able to shear their flesh off.
This results in muscle material (not tissue) being left around. It cannot be used for cooking.
Additionally, the test subjects are unharmed.

Test result: Failure.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: March 12, 2011, 07:14:24 am »

Shearing works quite well if you use a non-vital tissue (someone managed to get "sheared" shells a while ago).

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2248 on: March 12, 2011, 08:11:29 am »

@Sutremaine & 3: Neither works, but thanks. :/
Perhaps i should clarify the additional body part (anger) a little; it's supposed to be a small layer inside the head, kinda like what Deon sneakily did with his void masters. This probably means i'll have to write the tokens differently, but i'm at my wits end.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: March 12, 2011, 09:14:52 am »

...the whole human torso would be UPPERBODY and the whole horse body would be LOWERBODY.
That makes sense. I could work with that.

You can make a javelin-weapon that fires javelin-ammo if you so wish, which is close enough.
Ooo, an atlatl would actually be pretty neat... but they'll essentially smack things with the atlatl when in melee? Hmm... well drat. I guess I could have some warriors that only use hoof attacks with different horseshoes.

Centaurs are in the Genesis mod and are a new addition, don't know what they're like.
Fantabulous! I'll just pop over there and do a little... organ harvesting.

Dwarves might admire buildings that require the Architecture labour, in which case one could build a 1x1 custom workshop that produced good thoughts.
Well, that pretty much sums up what I was looking for. I could call it an incense burner or shrine or flower arrangement even though it doesn't have the effect I was hoping for.

You could reflavour it into a proper mask given only to dwarves you deem worthy, but no, dwarves won't casually woad and kohl themselves up as they feel like it.
Ah, yeah I figured as much. My main concern was whether or not gems could be ground into a powder, put in bags, and used as reagents for other things?

Thank you very much for the advice! I knew most of these would require a little finagling and compromise, so I'm fairly satisfied overall. Now to see if I'm even cut out for this modding crap. lol
If anyone has other comments or suggestions, I'm all ears.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:22:04 am by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 357