Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419713 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2190 on: March 07, 2011, 07:33:49 pm »

I'm taking control of one claw-having creature and attacking another one in the fingers in the hope of getting the claw referenced in the combat logs.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:08 pm »

Well, there shouldn't be anything wrong with what you've posted.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 08, 2011, 12:32:54 am »

2) make a new file (my preferred method).  You must make a new item_weapon_roman.txt file and begin with the line:

[OBJECT:ITEM]
As far as I know, the first line has to be the name of the file minus the extension, then the next line should be the OBJECT: definition.
Code: [Select]
item_weapon_roman

[OBJECT:ITEM]

At one point, I changed the name of a file from item_weapon_crossbow_spec.txt to item_weapon_narhiril.txt while forgetting to change this within the file and it didn't cause any problems in game.

From what I understand, anything without [BRACKETS] is ignored by the game, as I've been leaving comments for myself in my files for a long time without incident.  Although since all of the default raws use this format, I use it as well, but I am unsure if it makes any difference.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 08, 2011, 12:46:35 am »

In 40d, the first line had to match the file name, or it wouldn't work.

In 2010, that's no longer true, however you MUST have a line of bare text at the top of the file or it won't work.

Quote from: Sutremaine
I can't tell if this material / tissue modification is working.

I'd guess it's working, however, it will not be referenced in the combat logs.  I'm not sure why, but tissues added in the way you used aren't targeted by attacks.

If the attacks that use the tissue work, I believe that means your mod worked.

If you want to be sure, bumping up the size of your creature (or just it's fingers) up to absurd levels and then butchering it should yield units of the added tissue.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:50:41 am by D_E »
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 08, 2011, 09:29:56 am »

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this reaction? It's supposed to take a worthless stone and produce an identical worthless stone while training smelting. Also, does having no reagent and no product still train the skill?
[REACTION:TRAIN_SMELTING]
[NAME:train smelting]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:CUSTOM_X]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:INORGANIC][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]
At the moment, the dwarf won't try to use any reagent for the reaction; they just go to the workshop and stand there.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 08, 2011, 09:47:24 am »

[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NONE]
It goes "item type:item subtype:material type:material subtype/reference". You'll need to fix the product as well, if you decide to keep it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:50:09 am by 3 »

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 08, 2011, 09:50:26 am »

D'oh. Thanks.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 08, 2011, 03:32:08 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to just use PRESERVE_REAGENT?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 08, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »

When creating and adding a body part from scratch, what's the easiest editing order? I'm having a little trouble with 'no tissue thickness' and can't figure out where I should be looking (think I might start over). Assuming nothing being added directly in the creature entry, the entry order from creation to addition seems to be roughly:

1. body_default
Creates a body part and gives it a name, functions, location, a method of attaching itself to the rest of a body, and a category.

2. material_template_default
Creates the material that the final body part will be made out of.

3. b_detail_plan_default (ADD_MATERIAL)
Makes the material created in step 2 available for addition to a creature.

4. tissue_template_default
Creates a tissue and gives it a name, functions, and relationships to other tissues. Makes it out of the material that was created in step 2.

5. b_detail_plan_default (ADD_TISSUE)
Makes the tissue created in step 4 available for addition to a creature.

6. b_detail_plan_default (BP_LAYERS)
Tells the game how much of each tissue is contained in each category (or type, or token) of body part. Some of these tissues are bookmarked as Tissue 1, Tissue 2, etc. and will be assigned a specific tissue once called by the creature entry. This seems to be the part of the body detail plan file that actually calls parts into being instead of defining their form and function.

7. creature_
Uses the BODY:<step 1 entry> command to call up body part created in step 1.
Uses the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 3 entry> command to call up the material made available in step 3.
Uses the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 5 entry> command to call up the tissue made available in step 5.

Now that the body part has a function, something to be made out of, and somewhere to go, it can finally be created using the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 6 entry>.

I think I've got that right, there's so much stuff spread across so many files and commands.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 08, 2011, 06:58:46 pm »

It is a lot of stuff.  What you said sounds right, except for
Now that the body part has a function, something to be made out of, and somewhere to go, it can finally be created using the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 6 entry>.

Body parts are created by the BODY tag, but need at least one tissue to interact with things properly.  The tissues are added using the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 6 entry>. 

This is what the zero tissue thickness error is about.  A body part was created in the BODY tag but never assigned a tissue.  If you look at the creatures in the arena, all their bodyparts should be listed, but parts with no tissues can't be struck by attacks (and may not be used to pick things up?).
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: March 08, 2011, 10:17:54 pm »

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this reaction? It's supposed to take a worthless stone and produce an identical worthless stone while training smelting. Also, does having no reagent and no product still train the skill?
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE]
           [WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A]
At the moment, the dwarf won't try to use any reagent for the reaction; they just go to the workshop and stand there.
That should work a tad better.
Wouldn't it be easier to just use PRESERVE_REAGENT?
It'd be even easier to not even use the rock in the first place.
It's not like having a rock will help you train smelting :P
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:48 am »

It's not like having a rock will help you train smelting :P
Depends how hard you squeeze it.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 09, 2011, 09:19:06 am »

Spoiler metal discussed below discretely

I've been trying to mod in a plant that can be processed into a certain blue metal thread without the use of the furnace.  Not for use in an adventure or fortress mod, but for use in the object testing arena.  It seems like the game ignores thread making metals and stones that can be sharpened for arena use.

So far I can get the "metal" clothes to spawn in the arena, but they don't seem to protect very well.  A helm, 2 boots, 2 gauntlets, and a robe on a dwarf, and he still gets eventually gnawed to death when facing 20 or so foxes.  The skin, fat, and sometimes muscle gets torn through the supposedly body armor quality robe when the same dwarf faces a couple of lions.

Do you think I would have better luck creating a metal skined creature where the skin could be tanned?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 09, 2011, 10:02:55 am »

How can I increase the pregnancy period of a creature?  Specifically, Dwarves and playable races.  I'm trying to do a fort where only 20 immigrants come in, and the rest of the inhabitants are children of children, making a "family" heavy fort...  But every time, I get one married couple that just pushes out children so fast that I end up with one family of several hundred kids!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2204 on: March 09, 2011, 10:12:31 am »

As far as I can tell, pregnancy periods are fixed and not moddable.  The best I've been able to fire out is accidentally making a creature give birth every season instead of every year, but that's exactly the opposite of what you're trying to do.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 357