Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419584 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2145 on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:19 pm »

I'd like to offer the embark party a choice: buy this item now at high cost, or hope that it will become available after embark.

Having an item embark-only isn't too hard, I think. You make it a toy that doesn't have any tags telling it what it can be made out of, and the game offers you it anyway. The problem is, to make it suitably expensive, it would have to be made only from a high-value material. To do that you need a reaction, and if it can be made via reaction on embark, it can be made when the traders come.

Is there some way around this?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 01, 2011, 09:32:57 pm »

The DEEP tag stops dwarves from showing up with a metal and all items made from that metal. But does it stop them from turning up with alloys made from that metal, or products of reactions using that metal?

I'd like to keep several things fortress-only, but it's kind of tricky. The only other thing I can think of is using (something classed as) an above-ground plant, since those will never be used by dwarves regardless of availability, but it would play havoc with the logistics if I had "infused metal bars" in with what is technically the rest of the food.

No, no it does not. I modded a special alloy named "Elysian Steel" that is made of various things, including Bluemetal. Dorfs show up with E-Steel, but still not bluemetal.
Set the alloy to be deep too.
It's not like it (being set on the metal) makes any difference anywhere else, as it's the deep ORE that determines the actual deep.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 01, 2011, 10:02:34 pm »

I was hoping that having a [DEEP] metal as a reagent would force any reactions using it to be fortress-only, which would give me a bit more freedom with the finished product. The latest bright idea I had involved hijacking various creature parts and giving them the appropriate properties (I can't quite remember why right now), but maybe I could make the involved parts out of the deep metal instead.

I guess I can check up on this by giving cats adamantine bones and seeing if I can embark with cat bone items.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 01, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »

The bones thing won't work. To have Z-bone items available on embark means your civ has access to animal Z, which means the traders will bring more Z-bone items. Since it's the same for all other materials, there probably isn't a way to embark with something and not have the traders just bring more of it later.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 01, 2011, 10:41:34 pm »

The deep tag does prevent things from showing up on trade or embark selection screen. I've got specifically adamantium producing reactions in my mod and I cannot import them.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: March 01, 2011, 10:57:06 pm »

Is it possible to make trees flammable?

I've searched through this board and found nothing about it.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 02, 2011, 04:00:48 am »

I started getting a little more hopeful about the paint when I realized that dyes change cloth color, but I'm not surprised that modding can't do that.  I think I'd rather have the blocks keep their properties than change them to a different colored "wood block."  Especially if I decide to also make clay blocks paintable.

It would be pretty nice to allow the use of existing dyes to color wood and clay items. After all, in real life we have wood stains. And since un-glazed fired clay/terra cotta is usually porous, it can absorb stains, too. So, it is not possible to create a mod to do this?

Perhaps when Toady adds in more types of glaze we will be able to, in effect, choose the color of the finished pottery product?

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 02, 2011, 06:50:28 am »

Is it possible to make trees flammable?
Trees are already flammable.  Isn't it possible to ignite them in adventure mode?

Sometimes you get a situation where a tree is next to something hot, but it doesn't ignite because the tree is impassable and the hot thing can't move onto the tree's tile.  Example.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 02, 2011, 10:58:29 am »

yes they do ignite because its a real problem in gen mod wen obsidian dwarfs(fire breathers) are in the military

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 02, 2011, 11:02:03 am »

I was looking to make a container item for my adventurers to use (and that I was okay knowing NPCs would misuse if they got their hands on one), just something named 'scabbard' with parameters such I could jam a weapon in there. I browsed the vanilla raws looking for the entry on backpacks to use as the basis, but was unable to find any containers in the raws ... are these just something that's hard-coded into the game at the moment, or am I looking in the wrong places?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 02, 2011, 11:38:26 am »

Since it's the same for all other materials, there probably isn't a way to embark with something and not have the traders just bring more of it later.
I was basing it on the brain jars in the illithid mod, but I misremembered. I forgot about the '...and from caravans' part of the description in the thread.

Oh well, looks like my thoughts screens are going to be jammed with ridiculously specific material preferences.

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 02, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »

Stacking items tend to be weird when used as reagents.  Only the specified number of items are used, but when told to get "four hooves," dwarves will grab four stacks of hooves, regardless of the stack size, and then proceed to use only four of them from one stack.  I remember this being an issue in a previous fort of mine, where elephants were my major source of bone - dwarves would cart entire stacks of elephant bones to carve a single one, resulting in horribly slow and cluttered workshops.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's a work around other than to reduce the number of hooves required to one in order for the dwarf to only grab one stack.

My dwarves do appear to be consuming one stack, not just bringing one stack and then consuming one item.   Here's the reaction text:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Rock bars" is a bug, not an issue on your end.

That's good to know.  :)

As for water as a reagent, I don't think this can be done with modding.  All of the in-game reactions involving water seem to be hard-coded.  Technically you could require a boulder of ice, but this would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Ah.   Didn't think so.   Ah, well, maybe in the next release.

Thanks!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 02, 2011, 03:12:07 pm »

My dwarves do appear to be consuming one stack, not just bringing one stack and then consuming one item.   Here's the reaction text:

Not sure if that reagent has been defined right or not? has "NONE" instead of defining the object? so maybe a stack of hoofs, and a singular hoof both fill that requirement.

maybe try this to see if it makes a difference?

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:05 pm »

might be asked before, but how does one mod in a new building/workshop?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 02, 2011, 03:52:30 pm »

Not sure if that reagent has been defined right or not? has "NONE" instead of defining the object? so maybe a stack of hoofs, and a singular hoof both fill that requirement.

maybe try this to see if it makes a difference?
That will function identically.
Stacks and reactions just about everything don't play nicely.
Look at bonecarving.  Consumes one stack per action.
There are no reactions that function on a single item out of a stack, because that isn't possible.  Fortress mode views stacks as singular items for all "processing" jobs.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 357