Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419606 times)

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2130 on: February 28, 2011, 03:54:21 pm »

Excellent, thank you very much! Works perfectly.

I never realized we could make up brand new reaction classes.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: February 28, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »

what ethics are needed for cannibalistic entities? to allow them to butcher and make totems/bone/leather items from elfs/goblins, etc?

Do these need to be "acceptable" or "Personal matter" ?
EAT_SAPIENT_KILL
EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER

MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE
MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT

And are there any ethics that would allow them to make totems/leather/bone items from fallen friendlies?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: February 28, 2011, 05:41:00 pm »

Is it possible to make a wagon that is not pulled by creatures?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: February 28, 2011, 05:49:14 pm »

what ethics are needed for cannibalistic entities? to allow them to butcher and make totems/bone/leather items from elfs/goblins, etc?

Do these need to be "acceptable" or "Personal matter" ?
EAT_SAPIENT_KILL
EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER

MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE
MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT

And are there any ethics that would allow them to make totems/leather/bone items from fallen friendlies?
1.acceptable
B. No cannibalism :(
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 28, 2011, 06:38:18 pm »

Is it possible to make a wagon that is not pulled by creatures?
Afaik it's not possible to have wagons at all in the current versions.
Previously, it would choose between all the animals with the WAGON_PULLER tag, so I guess it would either disallow wagons or crash.

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 28, 2011, 06:40:26 pm »

Hello all.   I'm working on a reaction chain to make molybdenum steel, and it's mostly working, but I had a few questions:

Part of the reaction chain is making sal ammoniac out of animal hooves.   The reaction works, but rather than taking four hooves, it takes four stacks of hooves, without regard to how many hooves are in the stack.   Is there any way to fix this?   It shouldn't be a problem as long as all animals yield four hooves when butchered, but it bothers me.

I've got "rock bars" appearing as an item under miscellaneous in my embark screen.   I'm guessing that means I made a mistake somewhere, but I can't figure out where.

Is there any way to use water as a reagent?   I'm guessing no, but I thought I'd ask.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: February 28, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »

The DEEP tag stops dwarves from showing up with a metal and all items made from that metal. But does it stop them from turning up with alloys made from that metal, or products of reactions using that metal?

I'd like to keep several things fortress-only, but it's kind of tricky. The only other thing I can think of is using (something classed as) an above-ground plant, since those will never be used by dwarves regardless of availability, but it would play havoc with the logistics if I had "infused metal bars" in with what is technically the rest of the food.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 28, 2011, 11:13:29 pm »

The DEEP tag stops dwarves from showing up with a metal and all items made from that metal. But does it stop them from turning up with alloys made from that metal, or products of reactions using that metal?

I'd like to keep several things fortress-only, but it's kind of tricky. The only other thing I can think of is using (something classed as) an above-ground plant, since those will never be used by dwarves regardless of availability, but it would play havoc with the logistics if I had "infused metal bars" in with what is technically the rest of the food.

No, no it does not. I modded a special alloy named "Elysian Steel" that is made of various things, including Bluemetal. Dorfs show up with E-Steel, but still not bluemetal.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 01, 2011, 12:41:42 am »

I haven't been looking around much, and I've never modded DF before, other than the little work I've done on my current project. I'm mostly just in an ideas phase right now, but at least one of my ideas has a major problem.  In a reaction, there's no way to change the color of an item without changing it to a different item is there?  I want to make paints to apply to wood blocks, and while the wiki seems to indicate that I can make the blocks glazed with the paint item, it'll still look the same won't it?

Heh, I might do the paint thing anyway.  So much of dwarf fortress is only read instead of seen that it would still be fun.

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible to make it so a playable civilization can't grow certain plants.  Like, humans can still grow prickleberries, but dwarves can't and so on.  I would like these plants to be importable and harvestable in the appropriate places, but not farmable.  If it's not possible, I'll just play like I can't grow that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:57:19 am by Interus »

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 01, 2011, 02:49:06 am »

I haven't been looking around much, and I've never modded DF before, other than the little work I've done on my current project. I'm mostly just in an ideas phase right now, but at least one of my ideas has a major problem.  In a reaction, there's no way to change the color of an item without changing it to a different item is there?  I want to make paints to apply to wood blocks, and while the wiki seems to indicate that I can make the blocks glazed with the paint item, it'll still look the same won't it?
Nope. Though you can turn wood block into blocks of special wood material with specific color. Also for nice color palette I recommend Intensifying mod.

I've got "rock bars" appearing as an item under miscellaneous in my embark screen.   I'm guessing that means I made a mistake somewhere, but I can't figure out where.

Me too. Though errorlog.txt doesn't say so. Or it may be just a bug.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 01, 2011, 12:52:18 pm »

Hello all.   I'm working on a reaction chain to make molybdenum steel, and it's mostly working, but I had a few questions:

Part of the reaction chain is making sal ammoniac out of animal hooves.   The reaction works, but rather than taking four hooves, it takes four stacks of hooves, without regard to how many hooves are in the stack.   Is there any way to fix this?   It shouldn't be a problem as long as all animals yield four hooves when butchered, but it bothers me.

Is there any way to use water as a reagent?   I'm guessing no, but I thought I'd ask.

Stacking items tend to be weird when used as reagents.  Only the specified number of items are used, but when told to get "four hooves," dwarves will grab four stacks of hooves, regardless of the stack size, and then proceed to use only four of them from one stack.  I remember this being an issue in a previous fort of mine, where elephants were my major source of bone - dwarves would cart entire stacks of elephant bones to carve a single one, resulting in horribly slow and cluttered workshops.  Unfortunately, I don't think there's a work around other than to reduce the number of hooves required to one in order for the dwarf to only grab one stack.

"Rock bars" is a bug, not an issue on your end.

As for water as a reagent, I don't think this can be done with modding.  All of the in-game reactions involving water seem to be hard-coded.  Technically you could require a boulder of ice, but this would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 01, 2011, 01:22:27 pm »

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible to make it so a playable civilization can't grow certain plants.  Like, humans can still grow prickleberries, but dwarves can't and so on.
You can fake it if your game is limited to one playable civ by removing the seeds from plants you don't want to grow. To make them importable they need to be either edible raw or edible when cooked. As far as I know those are the only two tags that allow plant trade. Making them impossible to grow by giving them growing seasons that cross the winter/spring boundary, or no seasons at all, might work if the game has a blind spot for those things when it comes to other civs.

You can sort of do it properly by having the plants themselves be useless and requiring a reaction to make them into anything but XP generators for your farmers (and possibly green manure). Strawberries and such would be problematic since they have no processing stages, and it would be odd to have a world without something you can eat right off the plant.

There's no way of telling a civ directly that it can't grow a plant even if it has the seeds and somewhere suitable to plant them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 01, 2011, 01:24:23 pm »

shouldnt outdoor farming /undergound farming tags do anything?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 01, 2011, 02:24:22 pm »

It only affects what you can get from the civ in question. Dwarves don't have above-ground farming so they don't export anything that relies on above-ground plants, but dwarves in a fortress can grow above-ground crops as well as humans can.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:58 pm »

Thank you all for the responses.  I started getting a little more hopeful about the paint when I realized that dyes change cloth color, but I'm not surprised that modding can't do that.  I think I'd rather have the blocks keep their properties than change them to a different colored "wood block."  Especially if I decide to also make clay blocks paintable. 

What I was planning was to have dwarves and humans both be playable with humans only farming aboveground, and dwarves only farming belowground.  Although I suppose if you know how to farm belowground, you should be perfectly capable of normal farming too.  I figured that would be really complicated though, so I'll just avoid it when I'm playing instead.

I'm sure I have more questions, but I feel like I understand what I'm looking at fairly well right now.  I'm sure I'll be back once I actually start playing around with it and seeing things I didn't expect.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 357