Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419429 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2040 on: February 21, 2011, 06:34:32 pm »

You should ask Deon, he has been using it in genesis for a while.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: February 21, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »

Welp, so much for that. Here I am, thinking I'm original. Har. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: February 21, 2011, 06:58:31 pm »

Not feasable. Syndromes don't let you heat things up. Anyway, I wasn't planning on having flamming swords, that was just a fun test. It did a good job of buring anybody holding it more then anything else. Point is I'm got something fun to make.

The best way I've thought of is to make blood have a temperature to it (or warm blooded blood only?). Then if something's ignite point is low enough to be lit by blood it will be, but will be fine until then.

I wanted to make "explosive" arrows this way, but am having trouble making a new "blood-type" and having its properties defined well.

....aand I just realized that "blood types" could have an injection-based-syndrome that only affects other blood-types, like A, B, O, ETC. I'm finding that far too interesting. Esp. since there are provisions for injection attacks and things.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: February 21, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »

The best way I've thought of is to make blood have a temperature to it (or warm blooded blood only?). Then if something's ignite point is low enough to be lit by blood it will be, but will be fine until then.

I wanted to make "explosive" arrows this way, but am having trouble making a new "blood-type" and having its properties defined well.

You may have gotten side-tracked with experiments in blood-type syndromes. But if you do eventually figure out how to give blood a temperature and make explosive arrows, etc, will you let us know about it here? That same technique could be used, in theory, to give weapons a poison or other syndromes. And a lot of us have been searching for a long time for a method to get poison-tipped weapons to finally work.

Edit:
Stole the propertys of bitumiouse coal and made a metal. The problem I'm having is figuring out a good way to ignite them, so it's not perfect yet.

If you stole the properties of coal to make your metal, does it burn up after a year or so? It might be rather annoying to have to reforge new burning swords and axes every year.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:14:23 pm by Thundercraft »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: February 21, 2011, 08:14:40 pm »

It's been done before, fyi, and it doesn't work very well. It'll only work at all if the arrow/bolt/implement gets stuck in the target, and even then it's generally shaky.

For reference:

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:BLOOD]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:(something high)]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: February 21, 2011, 09:32:57 pm »

if you do eventually figure out how to give blood a temperature and make explosive arrows, etc, will you let us know about it here? That same technique could be used, in theory, to give weapons a poison or other syndromes. And a lot of us have been searching for a long time for a method to get poison-tipped weapons to finally work.

I don't think it could. The whole point is that the weapon lights on fire after touching the warmer-than-air-blood. How would this make a "poison tipped" weapon? The arrows "Explode" because the custom weapon material is set to boil at the temperature of the blood. They'd have to be kept away from magma and fire, I'm guessing (probably not good to make them in a magma forge). I was more interested in swords and axes made out of the stuff, because if I gave them a slow burn they'd have flaming swords. Which are awesome.

It's been done before, fyi, and it doesn't work very well. It'll only work at all if the arrow/bolt/implement gets stuck in the target, and even then it's generally shaky.

For reference:

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:BLOOD]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:(something high)]

Was that combined with a custom weapon metal?

Stole the propertys of bitumiouse coal and made a metal. The problem I'm having is figuring out a good way to ignite them, so it's not perfect yet.

The ignition problem was the one I was trying to solve with my blood idea.
Testing needed. Could take a while to get a proper set-up.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: February 21, 2011, 09:34:28 pm »

I think it's been tried both with and without one.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: February 21, 2011, 09:42:01 pm »

Just a little heads up to anybody out there interested in flavor. The hair template has [IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL] meaning elves will never bring products made from sheering animals. If you want them to bring wool and stuff, remove that.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: February 22, 2011, 10:07:16 am »

I think it's been tried both with and without one.

dang.
I guess I'll go back to modding in adventure mode grenades.
[/quote]

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: February 22, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »

Umm, just noticed that crematoriun workshom is broken. It seems that vermin remains now defined differently.
Workshop uses [REAGENT:A:1:REMAINS:NONE:NONE:NONE]. I have checked everything else, job just doesn't shows up in workshop menu.

Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: February 22, 2011, 02:43:32 pm »

is there any way to make something a fuel source?  like i want to make a custom fuel called biodiesel, how would i go about doing this?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: February 22, 2011, 03:40:05 pm »

Umm, just noticed that crematoriun workshom is broken. It seems that vermin remains now defined differently.
Workshop uses [REAGENT:A:1:REMAINS:NONE:NONE:NONE]. I have checked everything else, job just doesn't shows up in workshop menu.

Nothing in the errorlog, I take it?  From what you said, though, it sounds like the reaction may not be on the list of permitted reactions in the entity file.  Have you checked this?

is there any way to make something a fuel source?  like i want to make a custom fuel called biodiesel, how would i go about doing this?

Looks like you can't, looks like charcoal and coke are the only permitted fuel types (hardcoded as subtypes of the COAL material class).  You could make a reaction that converts a unit of your plant to a unit of charcoal, though.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: February 22, 2011, 05:38:05 pm »

Do I need to make a custom reaction to make weapons in fortress mode if there in the entity.txt?
example: I made the Human/Keepers play able in fortress mode and they have long swords and 2 handers in there entity.txt can I make them or do I need to make a reaction?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: February 22, 2011, 05:41:06 pm »

Do I need to make a custom reaction to make weapons in fortress mode if there in the entity.txt?
example: I made the Human/Keepers play able in fortress mode and they have long swords and 2 handers in there entity.txt can I make them or do I need to make a reaction?

No, so long as the weapon is in an item file, and in the entity's list, they'll be able to use it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: February 22, 2011, 05:41:58 pm »

No, so long as the weapon is in an item file, and in the entity's list, they'll be able to use it.
k thanks
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 357