Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419372 times)

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2010 on: February 20, 2011, 07:17:12 pm »

There's no token necessary for that. Just don't give the other races the requisite reaction in the entity file.

Quick question HOW DO I DO THAT ??? :-\

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: February 20, 2011, 07:39:00 pm »

Okay, in the entity file, you have to specify pretty much everything that the specific entities can use. So, if you put in the metal Unobtainium, you'd have to have a) a reaction to refine it from a raw ore to a metal (generally at the smelter), and b) add that reaction to the entity file so that people can actually use it. Specifically, you'd have to add:

[PERMITTED_REACTION:UNOBTAINIUM]

if you named the reaction to smelt Unobtainium [REACTION_UNOBTAINIUM] in the reactions file.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:41:10 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: February 20, 2011, 07:43:40 pm »

how can i reduce the quantity of meat produced by animals? besides removing the meat tags from the organs' materials

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: February 21, 2011, 01:46:40 am »

how can i reduce the quantity of meat produced by animals? besides removing the meat tags from the organs' materials

First, the BODY_SIZE token has a direct impact on the amount of materials obtained from butchering. Larger animals = more meat, more fat, etc. So for less meat, just make the critter smaller.

Secondly, DF actually has some degree of genetics simulation. (See DF2010 Talk:Butcher.) There can be a surprising degree of variation in terms of a species' HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH. (Not to mention variation in hair and eye color.) And these traits can be inherited by offspring. Apparently, in some cases an unusually large "breed" of dogs in DF can be butchered for more meat than an unusually small "breed" of donkeys. A lot of it seems a roll of the dice. But one can intentionally breed small creatures that produce less meat (or visa versa).

For details on how this HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH thing works, take a look at DF2010:Creature token on the wiki and do a text search for "BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER". Once you understand how it works, it should be possible to adjust these variables to make it so unusually tall, broad or long creatures are very rare, while normal size or unusually short-stature, narrow, and/or short are much more probable... all without the necessity of adjusting BODY_SIZE. (Although, you could do both.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:31:41 pm by Thundercraft »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: February 21, 2011, 01:52:04 am »

in previous versions i couldn't make bread cuz dwarves wouldn't take flour out of bags
has anybody tested this for the new version?
Which is exactly what I was wondering and I just got it working. Currently it only works for cave wheat flour. It takes a bag of flour and makes an equivalent amount of "cave wheat bread". Adding the same tokens to the other flour producing plants will get them working too.

I considered using yeast and water in the reaction but I don't know how to get dwarves filling jugs or buckets with water and I'm not sure where they'd get the yeast.

The reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The changes in the plant raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
awesome!
thanks
This is awesome. The ways this works cover a lot of the things I've been beating my brain trying to understand.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: February 21, 2011, 02:11:58 am »

First, the BODY_SIZE token has a direct impact on the amount of materials from obtained form butchering. Larger animals = more meat, more fat, etc. So for less meat, just make the critter smaller.

Secondly, DF actually has some degree of genetics simulation. (See DF2010 Talk:Butcher.) There can be a surprising degree of variation in terms of a species' HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH. (Not to mention variation in hair and eye color.) And these traits can be inherited by offspring. Apparently, in some cases an unusually large "breed" of dogs in DF can be butchered for more meat than an unusually small "breed" of donkeys. A lot of it seems a roll of the dice. But one can intentionally breed small creatures that produce less meat (or visa versa).

For details on how this HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH thing works, take a look at DF2010:Creature token on the wiki and do a text search for "BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER". Once you understand how it works, it should be possible to adjust these variables to make it so unusually tall, broad or long creatures are very rare, while normal size or unusually short-stature, narrow, and/or short are much more probable... all without the necessity of adjusting BODY_SIZE. (Although, you could do both.)

eh, i'm trying to balance butchery, so i'd have to lower every butcherable creature's body size, then would have to lower dwarfs and other humanoids' body sizes, then would have to adjust the weapons to be useable at the new body sizes, etc... i was hoping there was a simpler way...

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: February 21, 2011, 02:45:49 am »

Question: does anyone know what the [DISPLAY_UNGLAZED] tag does? It's on the earthenware material.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: February 21, 2011, 02:49:21 am »

eh, i'm trying to balance butchery, so i'd have to lower every butcherable creature's body size, then would have to lower dwarfs and other humanoids' body sizes, then would have to adjust the weapons to be useable at the new body sizes, etc... i was hoping there was a simpler way...

Well, I may very well be mistaken, but...
IDEA: For all I know, the genetic variation in HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH may or may not impact the size limit at which weapons and armor can be equipped. (The game might only look at BODY_SIZE as the default and ignore genetics...) I'm suggesting that, just maybe, you could get away with drastically lowering HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH, while still technically keeping them in the old size category.

For instance, you might try adding something like:
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:50:55:58:60:62:65:70]
which would basically make the creature or race very thin, by about 50% to 70% of BODY_SIZE. If that's not enough, you could also adjust HEIGHT and LENGTH.

Take a look at this discussion on Cat meat on DF2010 Talk:Cat. Some players were complaining that they only got a skull, with absolutely no meat or fat, from butchering cats, while the wiki (originally) said that butchering cats is supposed to give 6 or 7 meat/fat. There's that much variation. That demonstrates how influential genetics can be in DF.

If this works, you would only have to add one or two lines of text to each creature, instead of all those other alterations you mentioned. And if doing this by hand sounds too tedious, you might consider searching for some sort of free "text parsing" utility to automatically insert the line(s) of code based on certain conditions. I haven't used one, myself, so I can't make a recommendation. (Though, I have tried the free Bulk Rename Utility and it works great for batch renaming files based on precise, specified conditions.) But you could try Googling for "text parser download free" or variations thereof. Though the utility would have to be able to insert text or do a text Replace.

ammy55

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: February 21, 2011, 03:25:32 am »

3 questions

1. is there a way to change what the embark skill cap is (so i could for example start with a legendary miner) i've figured how to do it with CE but its soooo monotonous

2. what does BODY_SIZE affect other than how much meat and fat you get after slaughter

3. is there a way to change how often an breeds or the gestation or something in that area

the main thought for the last two questions being dragon size cats with increased catsplossion potential

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: February 21, 2011, 03:28:10 am »

1. Know eye dear.
2. Yes, it affects combat skills. Bigger things tend to fight better.
3. No, but you can increase litter size.

ammy55

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: February 21, 2011, 03:43:43 am »

1. Know eye dear.
2. Yes, it affects combat skills. Bigger things tend to fight better.
3. No, but you can increase litter size.

thats what i thought oh well looks like the next hour or so will be spent preparing an embark with all legendary dwarves riding kittens the size of dragons *yawn*

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: February 21, 2011, 04:04:15 am »

You can also lower the age before they can give birth. Combined with large litters, you can flood a fort with cat dragons in a few months.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: February 21, 2011, 04:39:43 am »

1. is there a way to change what the embark skill cap is (so i could for example start with a legendary miner) i've figured how to do it with CE but its soooo monotonous

CE? You mean a Code Edit?

I'm guessing what you want is a utility like Adjust Profile, which used Rick's Tweak Utility. Unfortunately, this appears to have been last updated nearly 3 years ago, so it probably only works for really old versions. On the other hand, I noticed Andux's Tweak for 0.31.19, which claims to be an updated version of Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak (which, in turn, was an updated version of Rick's Tweak Utility). However, the download says this "mainly just Tile Edit at this point". Still, you could try to contact Andux and ask if he plans to include an update of Adjust Profile.

Another possible solution would be a utility to alter the skill after you embark. One used to be able to do that with Runesmith, which was like Dwarf Therapist on steroids. It includes the ability to edit skills. Unfortunately, it was last updated for 31.16 and it could never get updated to 31.18 because, unfortunately, DFHack only offered partial support for 31.18. Hopefully, it may get updated some day...

3. is there a way to change how often an breeds or the gestation or something in that area

I will assume you are starting with a cat as a base. There's are reasons why cats breed so fast.

Cats already have the [CHILD:1] token, which means they reach adulthood (breeding age) after just one year. I'm not sure if it is possible to reduce this to less than a year. (I would guess not.)

Other domestic animals, such as the donkey, have the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] token, which slows reproduction. Cats lack this, so they breed even faster.

The only other thing I can think of to make them breed faster is the MAXAGE token, to make sure they have a long life as breeders. Cats already have [MAXAGE:10:20] (min. of 10 years, max. of 20), so that should be plenty.

the main thought for the last two questions being dragon size cats with increased catsplossion potential

:o That's a scary thought!...  :o
Your fortress certainly would not lack for meat, fat, or adequate pet defenses, though.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: February 21, 2011, 04:52:11 am »

Yes, I know there is a serch function.
And yes, I did use it!

However, despite my feeble efforts, I was unable to find a utility to convert degrees into urists. I know there is atleats one out there, any halp?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: February 21, 2011, 04:58:19 am »

There is one, but I can't find it either*. Time to break out the calculator:
URISTS = [FAHRENHEIT] + 9968
URISTS = [CELSIUS] * 9/5 + 10000
URISTS = [KELVIN] * 9/5 + 9508.33
URISTS = [RANKINE] + 9508.33

* And by that I mean that the link in the stickied utilities list is dead:
http://andvari.us/dwarf_temp_tool.html

EDIT: forgot to say - read more on the wiki.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:05:12 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 357