Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419212 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #1740 on: January 18, 2011, 11:02:23 pm »

So, say, would making one here be possible in theory, a creature with six arms and a sword in each?

Yes, and yes.
[/quote]I'm interested. How?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 18, 2011, 11:10:31 pm »

I was thinking Mariliths, or Nagas as they are known in Heroes of Might and Magic... lower half of a snake, so they're gastropods (oh, right, is that possible?), upper half is a six-armed humanoid. So, say, would making one here be possible in theory, a creature with six arms and a sword in each?

The Direforged Mod adds several new civilizations, including "Ekodu: Six-armed serpentine humanoids with eight eyes."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:20:03 pm by Thundercraft »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: January 18, 2011, 11:12:37 pm »

I'm interested. How?

Scratch that, I'm being an idiot today.

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: January 19, 2011, 12:10:12 am »

nevermind my problem, the reason why the creatures weren't attacking with their spikes was because the spikes i gave them didn't have the correct tissues, so the game didn't spawn them correctly.  Weird that this didn't come up in the error log.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:05:12 pm by gauld »

G D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: January 19, 2011, 08:47:02 am »

It looks like MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER dont have any effect in new DF. Is there any way to control population of sites and whole civ?
Actually i want to create civ that will be conqured in worldgen. Then some of the civ members that taken as prisoners will not accept slavery (due to [ETHIC:SLAVERY:UNTHINKABLE]) and escape from prison to rebuild their civ. (This worked in 40d)

But in 31. i dont know how to do this. Well escaping thing mostly works but i cant destroy their home civ while they in prison, so i cant test rebuilding part.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:04:56 am by G D »

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: January 19, 2011, 09:23:19 am »

Oh. I see. Well... I think I'll try learning all this modding stuff from the ground up using the Wiki, then try to make something...
...in a long time, or never at all...
...four-armed, three-fingered, Protoss-legged short tail-owning probably not humanoids any longer made of obsidian and molten stone parts, dropping obsidian coins as a corpse, and with four castes, of craftsmen, nobles, hunters and warriors...

...oh, right. I've heard there is a [GRASP] tag, which you can add to body parts to make them able to hold items and be used for punching. So, if I put the tag on every single part of some creature, but also somehow made it unable to use weapons or shields, then... would I get a walking flurry of punches?

...you know what, that humanoid project is far too ambitious. Maybe as a starter I'll try making, I don't know, some modification to an existing creature, like making a purple cow with sixty-three eyes...
...or a gelatinous cube. With a single organ floating in it to control the movement to make it more killable, and some... floating ribs *ba-dum tsssh*

...whoa, the raws of a human look complicated enough...
...actually, you know, scratch the complicated idea up there, we have magma men and that's enough, even if those things wouldn't have FIXEDTEMP or such.

...is there a possibility of making things hatch from eggs yet?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: January 19, 2011, 09:27:55 am »

...is there a possibility of making things hatch from eggs yet?
you can make the baby called egg but there's probably no way to make the having a different anatomy from their adult form
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1747 on: January 19, 2011, 09:33:06 am »

Eggs in some form are on the cards for the next release.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 19, 2011, 05:58:52 pm »

So, say, would making one here be possible in theory, a creature with six arms and a sword in each?

Yes, and yes.

Wielding more than one weapon at once is impossible regardless of the number of arms, but you'll be able to make something that can use more that one shield at a time (this'll occur regardless of whether you want it to or not, which tends to result in multi-limbed civvers becoming quite overpowered).

Thanks! After I added and fixed those tags he Queens venom started working properly.  Now on to the next phase :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:36 pm »

How do I put temp on a bolt for a crossbow

The closest you can come is to put a temp on a metal and only allow ammo to be made from that metal. 

The trouble is that the dwarves won't be able to safely handle said metal, unless the temp is too cool to do any damage.  Protective gear made from fixed temp materials of a safe temperature can help, but... it would be hard to coordinate.

Invaders could be given ammos with a fixed temp and a heatdam point AND ignite point two U or so BELOW that point (so the ammo will slowly take heat damage and degrade, so you don't clutter the map with discarded, untouchable ammo.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: January 20, 2011, 07:06:30 pm »

You could also modify the dwarf tissues so they can handle higher temperatures.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: January 21, 2011, 03:05:01 pm »

i'd like to make a material that explodes on contact.  basically the creatures that have this material for hide would die instantly after being hit, and everything in a small radius would be damaged as well.

is this possible?  is there a way to code explosions?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: January 21, 2011, 03:15:31 pm »

Not directly,

But you have a couple of indirect options.

1)  You can give a creature burning hot vapor for blood.  If you don't make the creature resistant to high temperatures, it will melt itself after being injured the first time.  Change the blood tags to something like this:
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:GAS]
2)  You can also cause creature's corpses to vaporize in high-temperature clouds.  I forget exactally how to do this, but I believe you can find some examples in darkflagrance's Fortress Defense mod.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: January 21, 2011, 03:25:39 pm »

I suddenly want to make a starcraft mod. *runs off*
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: January 21, 2011, 06:44:28 pm »

Not directly,

But you have a couple of indirect options.

1)  You can give a creature burning hot vapor for blood.  If you don't make the creature resistant to high temperatures, it will melt itself after being injured the first time.  Change the blood tags to something like this:
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:GAS]
2)  You can also cause creature's corpses to vaporize in high-temperature clouds.  I forget exactally how to do this, but I believe you can find some examples in darkflagrance's Fortress Defense mod.

so their blood would damage them, eh?

...is there any way to make this blood give a poison effect that mimics explosive damage?  been trying to add a syndrom to the material_template file but its not working...
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 357