Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419243 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #1710 on: January 14, 2011, 12:46:41 pm »

Only elf.
At the very least, you will need to remove the [INTELLIGENT] token from elves.  Problem is, this will probably completely break elven civilization and stop them from actually showing up normally.  You could edit your entity_default file to make it possible for dwarves to butcher and eat sentient creatures, but then they'll also be able to eat humans and goblins.  I don't think there's any way to mod the game to let you butcher elves, and only elves, while still keeping them a functioning civilization.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 14, 2011, 03:31:09 pm »

At the very least, you will need to remove the [INTELLIGENT] token from elves.  Problem is, this will probably completely break elven civilization and stop them from actually showing up normally.  You could edit your entity_default file to make it possible for dwarves to butcher and eat sentient creatures, but then they'll also be able to eat humans and goblins.  I don't think there's any way to mod the game to let you butcher elves, and only elves, while still keeping them a functioning civilization.

A few workarounds are possible, based on having them drop items on death (using ITEMCORPSE).  If you have them drop a MEAT item it should be edible.  You could also have them drop a BOULDER made out of "elf corpse" or something and have a reaction to convert it to various types of meat and bones and what-have-you.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 16, 2011, 01:09:23 am »

How to change body composition into another material?

I've tried giving dragons Steel Teeth. But the material used for teeth are not specifically defined in the raws (probably standard). So far, I've tried:

Code: [Select]
[USE:MATERIAL]2.
[SELECT_MATERIAL:TOOTH]
         [MAX_EDGE:25000]
3. Defining a new material [STEEL] in the raws (similar to the one for [BRONZE] under Bronze Colossus) and giving teeth that material.

After experimentation in the arena, biting attacks on a bronze colossus keep glancing away, so I assume that it's a failure so far.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 16, 2011, 01:15:12 am »

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[SELECT_TISSUE:TOOTH]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:STEEL]

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 16, 2011, 01:46:40 am »

[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[SELECT_TISSUE:TOOTH]

Salroka! Thank you.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 16, 2011, 03:14:27 pm »

So I want to try my hand at modding, and maybe add in a few creatures and such. I tried to make a kraken... but I think that is a little ahead of me right now. Right now I'm busy trying to learn all the kinds of tags.

For example, what does [FANCIFUL] and [BENIGN] do? Or [VERMIN_NOTRAP]? [VERMIN_GROUNDER]?

I think the hardest obstacle in my way is understanding the body parts system thing.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 16, 2011, 05:41:30 pm »

For example, what does [FANCIFUL] and [BENIGN] do? Or [VERMIN_NOTRAP]? [VERMIN_GROUNDER]?
I'm pretty sure you didnt read the wiki.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 16, 2011, 07:09:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure you didnt read the wiki.
I... didn't even think of that. Wiki ahoy!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 17, 2011, 12:57:46 am »

I'm trying to heavily modify a giant desert scorpion and while I'm getting somewhere with it, I have some questions:

1) The scorpion has [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR:LIQUID] and I see in material_template_default.txt that [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR_TEMPLATE] is always white in color. But I want my creature to have blue "blood". Can I do this without defining a custom blood material?

It is common to use SET_TL_GROUP and TL_COLOR_MODIFIER to change color. For example:
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]

And I see SELECT_MATERIAL used with "ALL" like so:
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[MULTIPLY_VALUE:3]

And I even see SELECT_MATERIAL used with "BLOOD" for the dragon creature:
[SELECT_MATERIAL:BLOOD]
[PLUS_MATERIAL:PUS]
[MELTING_POINT:10000]

So, why wouldn't this work?
[SELECT_MATERIAL:BLOOD]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLUE:1]

2) And if this does work, is [TLCM_NOUN:blood:SINGULAR] needed to make it display properly?

3) I want the stinger of my custom creature to have a very good chance of penetrating even steel armor in order to inflict a syndrome. I suppose one possibility would be to modify the ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC and/or ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC. But these seem poorly defined in the wiki and I would not know how to make it more effective. Stinger of giant desert scorpion:

[ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:5]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]

4) I guess the obvious solution is to change the material of the stinger to a much harder material. On the giant desert scorpion that would be the "TAIL_STINGER" body part.

Would I define a custom material for the stinger like this?:
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TAIL_STINGER:METAL_TEMPLATE]

Or would that be [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STINGER:METAL_TEMPLATE] ?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 17, 2011, 01:20:28 am »

1)But I want my creature to have blue "blood". Can I do this without defining a custom blood material?

It is common to use SET_TL_GROUP and TL_COLOR_MODIFIER to change color. For example:

2) And if this does work, is [TLCM_NOUN:blood:SINGULAR] needed to make it display properly?

Those tokens are used for descriptor modifiers. They do nothing to the actual material (hair, for example, is always GRAY so long as it's called from the basic template, but it's described as being different colours).

What you want to do is select the material and change the actual colour:

[SELECT_MATERIAL:ICHOR]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BLUE]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:BLUE]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:BLUE]

3) I want the stinger of my custom creature to have a very good chance of penetrating even steel armor in order to inflict a syndrome. I suppose one possibility would be to modify the ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC and/or ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC.

Not without forcing it to behave weirdly. By raising the contact perc you're turning that stinger into a blade. An alternative which doesn't show up in the vanilla game is ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER. Use that in the same place as the contact/penetration tags and set it to something high (several hundred).

Would I define a custom material for the stinger like this?:
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TAIL_STINGER:METAL_TEMPLATE]

Or would that be [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STINGER:METAL_TEMPLATE] ?

When you use USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE or USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE, you're defining a material or template. It's just a shortcut to typing the entire thing out (see: bronze colossus entry). In order to actually use it, you need to use TISSUE_LAYER.

In the case of inorganic materials it's easier just to define things sans template:

[TISSUE:STINGERTIP]
[TISSUE_NAME:stinger-tip:stinger-tips]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER:STINGERTIP]

(Make sure this is after the body detail plans. The tissue might need the MUSCULAR tag or something as well, I forget.)

The material will still be referred to as "steel" in combat at times. The only way of getting around that is to define an entirely new material within the creature entry, based on the metal template, with the properties of steel and a different name. It's necessary to do this as you can't modify materials which aren't part of the actual creature entry (in the form of templates or otherwise).

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 17, 2011, 01:50:07 am »

Ah, thanks for the help! It's very much appreciated!  8)

Edit: One of your answers revealed a problem I have with a related issue:

...Those tokens are used for descriptor modifiers. They do nothing to the actual material (hair, for example, is always GRAY so long as it's called from the basic template, but it's described as being different colours).

What you want to do is select the material and change the actual colour:
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BLUE]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:BLUE]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:BLUE]

I think I understand now. But what if I want to change the actual colour of a material to be caste dependant? For instance, would this work to make CHITIN colour an indication of creature gender?:

[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:CHITIN]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:AQUA]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:3:0:1]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CHITIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:AQUA:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:chitin:SINGULAR]
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:CHITIN]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:PALE_BLUE]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CHITIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:PALE_BLUE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:chitin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:SHELL:SHELL]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:SKY_BLUE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:shell:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:TAIL_STINGER]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:HELIOTROPE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:stinger:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:SHELL]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:SKY_BLUE]

Also, I would prefer if the colour of the CHITIN on the TAIL_STINGER section was different from the rest of the body. But TAIL_STINGER is neither a material, nor a tissue. It seems to be defined in body_default.txt as a Token, however. Would this work?

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:CHITIN:BY_TOKEN:TAIL_STINGER]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:HELIOTROPE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:5:0:1]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:DARK_BLUE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:1:0:0]

[EDIT: I changed my STATE_COLOR definitions to "ALL" to change the colour of SOLID, LIQUID and GAS states all in one line. Also, I added DISPLAY_COLOR tokens to make sure the on-screen colour of the materials matches the actual colour.]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:51:07 pm by Thundercraft »

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 17, 2011, 02:58:55 pm »

So I have started my first (small) modding project: A Triwolf. Basically, a wolf with three eyes and a deadly bite. I also want to create a special caste for this creature, an Alpha male or something like it.

Here are the raws:
Spoiler: Triwolf raws (click to show/hide)

However, they just show up as a blank square. Everything else seems to be in order, except for the deadly bite and the Alpha male caste. I'm guessing lowering the ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC and raising the ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC would make the deadly bite work, but I'm not so sure how to deal with the special caste.

I just want the Triwolf Alpha Male to have a deadlier bite than the others, and his fur to be white, but I'm not sure how I am supposed to fit that in.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #1722 on: January 17, 2011, 03:57:03 pm »

In the case of inorganic materials it's easier just to define things sans template:

[TISSUE:STINGERTIP]
[TISSUE_NAME:stinger-tip:stinger-tips]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER:STINGERTIP]

(Make sure this is after the body detail plans. The tissue might need the MUSCULAR tag or something as well, I forget.)

The material will still be referred to as "steel" in combat at times. The only way of getting around that is to define an entirely new material within the creature entry, based on the metal template, with the properties of steel and a different name. It's necessary to do this as you can't modify materials which aren't part of the actual creature entry (in the form of templates or otherwise).

I have a similar problem, i am trying to give my creature an obsidian skin,thank you for the (indirect) help :)
however, the game give me errors... my code:

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[TISSUE:ROCK_SKIN]
[TISSUE_NAME:skin:skin]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:OBSIDIAN]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:3]
[CONNECTS]
[SCARS]
[HEALING_RATE:100]
[VASCULAR:1]
[PAIN_RECEPTORS:3]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:SKIN_ROCKY:ROCK_SKIN]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN_ROCKY:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

the errorlog says:
Tissue layer not added because no BP found: BY_CATEGORY:SKIN_ROCKY:ROCK_SKIN

Gearskull1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 17, 2011, 05:51:19 pm »

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but I'll give this question a go anyway.

So i'm new to modding in DF, I downloaded a few mods for the game, (ie. Genisis mod and some others) and I'm trying to figure out how to edit them to make them work on my MAC. But I'm not even sure where to begin, I know that some things in the raws have to be changed but that's it. Trying to figure it out via google is a massive headache, so i was wondering if anyone here has experience making MODs for mac work on PC. and if they could give me some advice/help

Thanks!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 17, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »

I have a similar problem, i am trying to give my creature an obsidian skin,thank you for the (indirect) help :)
however, the game give me errors...

Remove the TISSUE_LAYER token and replace SKIN_ROCKY in the detail plan with ROCK_SKIN.

However, they just show up as a blank square.

[CREATURE_TILE:t] needs to be [CREATURE_TILE:'t'].

Also, 9:0:2 is not a valid colour.

I just want the Triwolf Alpha Male to have a deadlier bite than the others, and his fur to be white, but I'm not sure how I am supposed to fit that in.

Define the alpha caste, then select it specifically when dealing with the sections you want to change. Example:

[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:FEMALE]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALPHA_MALE]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]
      [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]

It's important that you don't use SELECT_CASTE:ALL and try to overwrite the changes with another caste, as that'll just result in duplicate descriptors (if I had used ALL instead of MALE/FEMALE in the above block, the alpha male would be described as having both black and white hair at the same time, as the black hair applies to all castes). The same goes for attacks.

So i'm new to modding in DF, I downloaded a few mods for the game, (ie. Genisis mod and some others) and I'm trying to figure out how to edit them to make them work on my MAC.

Nothing in the raws needs to be changed. Download the mods, download the Mac version of DF, copy the raws you want to use to the Mac version. If you're planning to do this with Genesis or similar self-contained mods, delete the vanilla raws and replace them with the Genesis ones - you'll also want to do the same with the speech files in ~/data/speech. For this reason, I don't suggest mixing Genesis/whatever with other mods.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 357