Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419356 times)

Bookdust

• Bay Watcher
  • The High King of Moaning Maidens
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #1110 on: November 25, 2010, 01:24:57 am »

Hi folks, new to modding, looking at creating a very simple race of humanoids for use in Adventure Mode, nothing to fancy just cloning some stuff and altering where needed, one thing I'm very interested in though is altering/creating BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFERs to adjust the way my race is described in game. And I just wanted to ask how the percentages from average define what is described in game. Like what adjective I'd get if a character where generated 50 or 120 percent different from their average body broadness. And whether there's a way to change these adjectives.

Thanks ahead of time.

Bookdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 26, 2010, 04:24:43 pm »

Anybody?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 26, 2010, 07:46:19 pm »

And I just wanted to ask how the percentages from average define what is described in game.

They result in descriptions based on absolute values, not based on the creature's median. I could make a creature with BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:200:200:200:200:200:200:200 and every one of those creatures would be described as "very tall" or whatever.

Like what adjective I'd get if a character where generated 50 or 120 percent different from their average body broadness.

I don't think anyone knows what the specific adjectives are, or at which point(s) they become applicable.

And whether there's a way to change these adjectives.

Nope.

Bookdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 26, 2010, 09:50:45 pm »

Alright thank you for the information. Really helped me to stop wasting my time searching through the raws.

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 27, 2010, 04:44:16 am »

I have never modded anything before, but is there a way to give dwarves the ability to forge large armor, preferably without regenning the world?

My human adventurer has aspirations beyond +bronze mail shirt+.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 27, 2010, 09:51:20 am »

I have never modded anything before, but is there a way to give dwarves the ability to forge large armor, preferably without regenning the world?

My human adventurer has aspirations beyond +bronze mail shirt+.
If you mod dwarves to be the same size as humans, they'll forge armor the same size.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 27, 2010, 06:51:43 pm »

I'm not so sure, but did I do this right?  I used the tutorial off of the magmawiki, but I can't find any cretors, EVEN in legends mode.

creature_template

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:CRETOR]
[NAME:cretor, cretors, cretori]
[TILE:'C'][COLOR:1:0:1]
[PREFSTRING:three legs]
[PREFSTRING:tentacle-tail]
[BODY:TRIPOD:HEAD:HEAD_3FINGERS:1EYE:BRAIN:HEART:2LUNGS:ORGANS:GUTS:SPINE]
[BODYGLOSS:HEAD_PALM:EYE_PALM]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:TAILT:slash:slashes:1:4:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:HEAD:scratch:scratches:1:4:SLASH][ATTACKFLAG_WITH][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:STANCE:kick:kicks:1:3:KICK][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[SIZE:10]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIMSPEED:2500]
[BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]
[CLUSTER_SIZE:4-8]
[LOOSE_CLUSTERS]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[MEANDERER]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:8:16]
[MAXAGE:40:50]
[DIURNAL]
[FAT:2]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]

body_template

[OBJECT:BODY]

[BODY:TRIPOD]
[BP:UB:upper body][UPPERBODY]
[BP:LB:lower body][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LOWERBODY]
[BP:FL:front leg][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][LIMB][STANCE]
[BP:RRL:right rear leg][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][LIMB][STANCE]
[BP:LRL:left rear leg][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][LIMB][STANCE]
[BP:TAILT:tail tentacle][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][LIMB][GRASP]

[BODY:HEAD_3FINGERS]
[BP:HF1:first head finger][CONTYPE:HEAD][SMALL][DIGIT]
[BP:HF2:second head finger][CONTYPE:HEAD][SMALL][DIGIT]
[BP:HF3:third head finger][CONTYPE:HEAD][SMALL][DIGIT]
[BODYGLOSS:HEAD_PALM:head:head-palm]
[BODYGLOSS:EYE_PALM:eye:eye on the palm]
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 27, 2010, 07:10:12 pm »

Lots of things need to be changed here. Most fundamentally, the creature has no materials or tissues. None of its bodyparts are made out of anything. You also haven't declared any arteries, sinews, nerves, appearance modifiers, your bodyparts don't have any declared relative sizes, etc., etc.. All of this bears the hallmarks of you referring to a 28.40d modding guide. Find a more recent one if you're able, or just look through the raws and figure out what to update.

Other things:

[NAME:cretor, cretors, cretori]
[CLUSTER_SIZE:4-8]

Edit: Ah. I suspect this is the page you found?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:17:50 pm by 3 »

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 27, 2010, 07:22:50 pm »

Yes, indeed.
:l
Looks like i'm out-of-date, need to find a modding guide of some sort.  Any reccomendations?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 27, 2010, 07:34:01 pm »

There aren't any especially informative ones that I know of... I've made a few long posts in the past on various subjects, but I've only been able to find two (I'll be bookmarking any such posts from now on). They are on the basics of entities and civvers (you'll probably know most of that already; what you don't won't be particularly relevant) and a basic explanation of how castes work.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 27, 2010, 08:13:37 pm »

well, actually, I'm pretty new to programming in general...

I DID learn LUA, but that was Roblox's LUA.  And it didn't support said castes or anything...

At a loss for what to do, here.  Should I try to follow one of the creature_standard's sections, or a small mammal, and try to learn off that?

EDIT:  Pretty sure I caused a few facepalms there. /facepalm/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:16:58 pm by Saetar33 »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:26 pm »

Just a few pointers here:
1.Size has pretty much been multiplied by 4000. Your creature's new size is 400000.
2.Names are now separated by colons (:). No longer are they separated by commas.
3.Cluster size is also separated by colons (:)
Proud of my heritage.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 27, 2010, 08:45:28 pm »

So, a caste is like in human civilization, kinda....

There's the high-rollers...
then the middle-rollers...
and then the bottom feeders.

So, for example, ants...
The [CASTE_QUEEN] defines if it is a queen ant, and a [CASTE_WORKER] tag defines it as a worker ant?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 27, 2010, 08:51:10 pm »

So, a caste is like in human civilization, kinda....

There's the high-rollers...
then the middle-rollers...
and then the bottom feeders.

So, for example, ants...
The [CASTE_QUEEN] defines if it is a queen ant, and a [CASTE_WORKER] tag defines it as a worker ant?
Not quite. . .
You begin by defining a caste name. I'll use the worker caste from the antmen.
[CASTE:WORKER] <----This defines a caste.
[CASTE_NAME:worker ant:worker ants:worker ant]<----This is what the creatures will be named when they are born into the caste.
[POP_RATIO:10000]<----Determines how many there will be per group(Entity groups, mind you.)
[SELECT_CASTE:WORKER]<----This is used to add specific details to a caste. Replace the caste name with ALL if you wish to apply details to all castes.
Hope this helps!
Proud of my heritage.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 27, 2010, 08:53:53 pm »

It's not necessary to select a caste immediately after declaring it; the parser does that for you. If you were to declare a new caste or select another one, and then wanted to go and modify the earlier caste, then you'd have to select it again.

There aren't any growth phases yet (things are born in one caste and stay that way), so it's not possible to make larvae or eggs or whatever, but otherwise it's possible to represent a variety of things pretty well.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 357