Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419568 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #750 on: September 17, 2010, 05:47:10 pm »

Yeah, you need to add the weapon to dwarves entity section in entity_default.txt.

Also, while it won't cause any major problems, you're usually better off adding new stuff to a new file instead of the existing files. That way you don't have to worry about copying your changes back in if Toady updates the file during a release. It also helps when merging mods, since it's a lot easier to keep things straight if all of the mods use different files than if you have to do a lot of cutting and pasting from file to file.

All of my weapons are in item_weapon_cf.txt for Civilization Forge, for example.

So as long as the file starts with "item_weapon", the game will read it as a file for usable weapons?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 17, 2010, 05:49:45 pm »

Actually, the name of the file itself is irrelevant. Although keeping with naming conventions makes keeping track of stuff much easier.

To make a new file you just need a few things. The name of the file (without the .txt), the type of RAW in the file [OBJECT:ITEM] in this case, and the actual additions.

For example, here is the top of item_weapon_cf:

Code: [Select]
item_weapon_cf

[OBJECT:ITEM]

The format is ATTACK:EDGE/BLUNT:contact area:penetration size:verb2nd:verb3rd:noun:velocity multiplier
Penetration size currently only matters for edged attacks.

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CLUB]
[NAME:club:clubs]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:MACE]
[TWO_HANDED:30000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:20000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:40:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dvalinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 17, 2010, 07:35:42 pm »

try adding this to your inorganic_other (or custom) file

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks, but unfortunately this doesn't work most of the time. Yes, I said "most." It's inconsistent. The first time time I generated a new world with that (only thing I changed was the tile and color so it'd stand out with my tileset) it seemed OK: reactionite showed up, was minable, and left little "!"s behind that you can't use for construction material or in the mason's workshop. So, I made a duplicate of it except with a new name and different color (everything else identical) and then both reactionite and the new one were minable but could be used for constructions and rock items. I've tried many different variations and it usually ends up with an item that doesn't show in the stocks menu, can't be brought at embark, yet acts as normal stone for construction and rock item creation. I even reverted back to the first one which seemed to work and generated a new world with the exact same RAWs it used (I kept a backup of the entire DF directory) and even that ended up with reactionite usable for constructions. I don't know what to make of it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:41:09 pm by Dvalinn »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 17, 2010, 09:13:39 pm »

So I modded in a couple weapons and such. (sledgehammers and tower shields, hooray!)

I then moved on and tried to mod in my own metal (2 actually) and a new ore.

What tags do I have to include to make sure I can find this new ore?
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 17, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »

The ore will automagically be added to the layer you put it in when you gen a new world.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 18, 2010, 05:10:23 am »

Actually, the name of the file itself is irrelevant. Although keeping with naming conventions makes keeping track of stuff much easier.
The files need to start correctly, but weapons can by in any item_* file.

You need an ENVIRONMENT tag (such as [ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100] ), a METAL_ORE tag(such as [METAL_ORE:IRON:100] ) and probably the [IS_STONE] tag, assuming you want the ore to show up as a vein or cluster.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 18, 2010, 11:30:22 pm »

The files need to start correctly, but weapons can by in any item_* file.

You need an ENVIRONMENT tag (such as [ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100] ), a METAL_ORE tag(such as [METAL_ORE:IRON:100] ) and probably the [IS_STONE] tag, assuming you want the ore to show up as a vein or cluster.
Actually, from my experiences, adding the [METAL_ORE] tag actually just makes it so you can get 1 of that metal from smelting that ore.

Which, me being the somewhat evil person I am, isn't what I wanted to happen. Combining an ore with 3 bars of iron, 9 bars of copper, and 20 bars of gold to create some super-valuable metal of death? HELL YES.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 19, 2010, 03:49:55 am »

Heh. I simply assumed when you said you wanted an ore that it should work like the other ores in the game.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 22, 2010, 07:12:46 am »

This is a pretty dumb thing to be bothered by, but I really don't like the crazy animal colors in the new version--i.e., "his hair is white, his paws are black, his head is tan," etc. Is there some way to mod hair colors so that animals are more likely to have only one color on their body without removing the possibility for them to have different colors?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:18:37 am by 1138 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 22, 2010, 07:19:37 am »

Doing that is a little more difficult than you may think. The best method would probably involve a large number of castes, covering many real-world (or not, just more "logical" than those in the vanilla game) colouring/pattern combinations.

Alternatively, you could just remove all the colour descriptors bar the main body and eye colour.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 22, 2010, 07:43:12 am »

Hmm, ok, thanks. Can I use custom colors, such as, say, calico or tabby in place of the ones the game has, or are those set in stone?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 22, 2010, 07:46:21 am »

You can create new colours, and while you can't create new patterns (you'll have to stick to spots and stripes for now), you can edit the specific colours used in said patterns. Take a look at descriptor_color_standard.txt and descriptor_pattern_special.txt.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 22, 2010, 03:10:59 pm »

Oh, duh, I don't know why I couldn't find those earlier. Thanks though!

treytrey119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 22, 2010, 05:49:31 pm »

um i will need help in a day or two for a custom civilization i am making.

it going to be a oompah loompah from willy wonka and the chocolate factory
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:51:50 pm by treytrey119 »
who can be a failure in so many ways?
the government can! - tim hawkins the government can

Arceius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:25 pm »

When I opened the raw files and started looking through them on my own I got very excited about being able to Mod them and add my own creatures. So, not understanding a lick of what I read, I high-tailed it over here (not literally, haven't modded myself a tail yet :P) with the intention of learning a great deal... I'm finding a little difficulty understanding. Mostly it's with all the different tags, and exactly how they interact with the game. I don't have any background working with the game so I'm completely lost, and I was wondering if there was any resource that could give me a run through of all the different tags every creature NEEDS and what exactly translate too.

I'm a pretty quick learner, but I learn more from big pictures than I do from the pieces. If I can get a grasp on everything needed, and exactly what it does then I can experiment on my own and things will start connecting in my head correctly. I checked out Magmawiki but the only modding resource I could find started talking about "Tokens" and lost me right then and there. It seems to contain a bunch of modifiers for tags, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to use them. Meanwhile I'm still reading through the thread though and any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 357