Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419645 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #720 on: September 14, 2010, 03:33:42 pm »

I don't think you can specify position by caste (you can specify by creature class, but I'm fairly sure creature classes are handled at the creature level, not the caste level).

A queen is just a female monarch; if this race is truly insectoid, there shouldn't be any "kings".

As for the changing castes thing, no. Make sure queens are either somewhat common or tough.

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 15, 2010, 08:06:00 am »

Quote from: 3
I don't think you can specify position by caste (you can specify by creature class, but I'm fairly sure creature classes are handled at the creature level, not the caste level).
Oh, allright, I'll try to look into that when I get the time (school's taking up quite some time, those teachers are even worse than the clowns!)
The wiki didn't say anything about that though, only df2010 mention of creature class is this, so maybe it's time to update the wiki?
Quote from: the Wiki
Creature class. Can be anything, but only existing use is GENERAL_POISON. Appears to only be used for Syndromes. Supposedly can also be used for entity positions.

Quote from: 3
A queen is just a female monarch; if this race is truly insectoid, there shouldn't be any "kings".
"Kings" would be the Drones, they are the only male members of this species, the queens can't produce offspring without them. Or can they?

So right now I have something like this (note: all numbers are subject to change, these are excerpts from an unfinished creature's RAWs)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this'd mean that one percent of the total population will be of the Queen Caste right?And there will be only one queen on a map at the same time (I'm guessing this mean an Embark location map)? Would this work or would a code like this just mean that the Drones would waste their time trying to impregnate the infertile Workers that make up 90 percent of the populace?
Additional questions: -Are the offspring of a certain caste spread over multiple castes or will they all become part of their mother/father's caste? (So I don't just end up with 200 queens etc.)
                             -Is it possible for creatures to dig without using picks? eg: using body parts to dig, like insects do. (I'd like to make this race player civ-controllable, may have to lower birth rates though...)
                             -For [BABY:X] and [CHILD:X] are the X's counted as days or as years? If they are counted as years, is it possible to express days as [BABY:0:24]? (insects mature quickly, but never get older than 4~6 years)

Oh, and the insects have quite a hard exo-skeleton and never get tired or afraid. Except for the queen, who is the only one with wings and will flee when wounded in battle (but I'm thinking of just giving her a ranged attack instead of wings, or a toxin to cause leg paralysis/instant brain rot, or all of them), so if anything tries to kill the queen they'll first have to fight their way through a nest full of fanatic, armored, vicious, giant ants with claws. Who. Will. Never. Stop. Coming, especially if the queen has just given birth, after which they have to fight a bug of enormous proportions...
So I don't think the queens really risk getting killed, though old age might finish them off eventually (even with longer-than usual life spans)
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 15, 2010, 10:50:01 am »

Just one more question, if you don't mind.
Can you both define [OBJECT:BODY] and [OBJECT:CREATURE] in one file? tx

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 15, 2010, 11:27:10 am »

Creature class is a caste-level tag.

Just one more question, if you don't mind.
Can you both define [OBJECT:BODY] and [OBJECT:CREATURE] in one file? tx
Nope.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:56 pm »

Quote from: Knight Otu
Nope.
Thought so, but it never hurts to ask.  :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 15, 2010, 09:13:41 pm »

Quote from: Knight Otu
Nope.
Thought so, but it never hurts to ask.  :)

Of course it can hurt to ask.  Although your question was fine, ever work in a computer repair place?   

It hurts to ask the customer "I knew you only came in for adware issues but was your computer still functional when you left it with us?"   You either have a whole lot of explaining, technobabble and question evading to do with a possibility of paying for replacement parts out of pocket, and/or you look like a blasted idiot.

As a thread bump, with some mild topic relevance, anybody know if it is possible to get colors from mats on custom buildings yet?

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:44 am »

:o A guy I know once brought his comp to a repair shop for some small issues. When he came to collect it 2 days later, it turned out they had reformatted the hard drive  ???. He's responsible for designing buildings like towers etc. (he helped with this thing) , and a lot of work was lost because of this, last time I saw him he was thinking of suing them for destroying his work, don't know if he did though.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 16, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »

Is it possible to make plants or trees that grow in water or magma? I'm guessing it's not since I haven't seen it done, but it might be worth asking anyways.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 16, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »

I think I have seen some trees and plants grow in shallow water once. The magma plants arnt possible though, magma erases mud.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 16, 2010, 04:58:18 pm »

[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:650:1100:1300:1400:1500:1700:2300]             ++/-

does anyone mind givng me a rundown of what this stuff means?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 16, 2010, 06:23:51 pm »

Its what a race's base stats can be.  Some individuals are stronger, or better able to focus or what have you than others.  the first 3 numbers are the values below average.  The 4th is the average, and the higher numbers are above average.  I believe it picks one of those numbers as a critter's base stats, before things like bonuses from skill comes into play (a military dwarf often becomes physically stronger and tougher than a civilian for example regardless of base stats)

The number that represents the average human is 1000(it is also the default if you don't put in the tags at all).  So if a dwarf has 500 for strength, they are only able to lift half as much as an average human, and are thus very weak.  A dwarf with a value of 2000 can lift twice as much as the average human, and so on and so fourth.  Maximum is 5000.

The +++ or --- at the end is simply something Toady added to the raws to give us a general idea how the stats compare to the human norm, it doesn't actually do anything.  In-fact, the raw parser ignores it completely.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 16, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »

Hmm thanks :D

the only thing is i increased all those numbers and i get really high stats and really low stats.

Amazingly agile but is unquestionably fragile.?

Dvalinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:43 pm »

Hey all, my first post here after lurking for a few months.. I feel like I should start by thanking everyone who has given answers, advice, tutorials, and so on. It's been incredibly helpful.

Anyway, I've been trying to mod in a minable substance that leaves behind an object like stone does without letting the object actually be used as stone normally is. (It's fine if it still shows up in Stocks as "stone" if necessary.) The goal is to use it for custom reactions and such without being able to use it for stone doors, buildings, etc. Is this possible? Leaving off the IS_STONE and all ITEMS_* tags doesn't seem to help. The only thing I can think of trying that I haven't yet is making it into a gem, but I'm sure that would make it something you can cut at a Jeweler's Workshop and I don't want that. (It's probably not doable, but I figured I'd ask here anyway.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:03:34 am by Dvalinn »

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 17, 2010, 03:16:44 am »

try adding this to your inorganic_other (or custom) file

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

that will hopefully show up for you and work.  any referrences in reactions you want to use it in or create items made of it should use the INORGANIC and REACTIONITE arguments for matgloss and subtype

that's a copy of hematite location wise just so you can figure what the availablitiy woyld be just using those 2 layers.

if you want to you can also put a [REACTION_CLASS:REACTIONITE] in there as well but if your only problems are the stuff being used as a regular stone would be hopefully this will get past that... dunno where it will be stockpiled though

might even be better to add the [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE] and [IS_STONE] in there and go in to your 'stones' section in game and turn it off there to limit it to its 'special' uses
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:26:33 am by kwd1968 »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 17, 2010, 01:33:32 pm »

So I'm bored, and want to try modding.

Could anyone recommend something simple to start with if I choose to make my own mods?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 357