Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419854 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #615 on: August 26, 2010, 04:49:54 pm »

You could try BENIGN and FLEEQUICK.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2010, 10:58:42 pm »

Yeah but that causes the animal to avoid Dwarves. I would want it to just ignore them completely unless the Dwarves attack them.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 27, 2010, 12:11:47 am »

Unless it's changed since 40d, it'll be CAN_SPEAK. Note that if you're not averse to changing the dwarf ethics, you can just swap the UNTHINKABLE under EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER in the dwarf entity entry with ACCEPTABLE to allow sentient butchery on the whole.

(I presume you realise that merpeople already exist)

Yeah (though they're restricted to good biomes, which is annoying). Thanks for the info. Also, according to the wiki all harpies are female. I thought if a species was only one gender, they couldn't reproduce and would die off. Did this change at some point?

As far as the Merpeople go, just knock the [GOOD] tag out of their raw file to get them to spawn in any non-aligned ocean.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 27, 2010, 01:06:20 am »

Unless it's changed since 40d, it'll be CAN_SPEAK. Note that if you're not averse to changing the dwarf ethics, you can just swap the UNTHINKABLE under EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER in the dwarf entity entry with ACCEPTABLE to allow sentient butchery on the whole.

(I presume you realise that merpeople already exist)

Yeah (though they're restricted to good biomes, which is annoying). Thanks for the info. Also, according to the wiki all harpies are female. I thought if a species was only one gender, they couldn't reproduce and would die off. Did this change at some point?

As far as the Merpeople go, just knock the [GOOD] tag out of their raw file to get them to spawn in any non-aligned ocean.

Yeah I know that but I don't like modifying the vanilla creatures beyond the [PET] and [PET_EXOTIC] tags. Especially when I can just mod in a new creature to fulfill whatever my current desires are.

This does bring up another question though, do the [GOOD] and [EVIL] tags influence creatures inside caves? I noticed that cave dragons have the [EVIL] tag so I'm wondering if they only spawn in evil caves or if that's just a small detail with no actual effect.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 27, 2010, 06:39:55 am »

Ok, aside from the massive migrane, I'm back (for atleast a little while.)

So does anyone feel really confident about all the creature mods and what they do, yet? Enough to maybe write a short guide? 'Cause I'm still stumped/clueless on a lot of these tags.
For they would be your masters.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 27, 2010, 06:51:12 am »

Ok, aside from the massive migrane, I'm back (for atleast a little while.)

So does anyone feel really confident about all the creature mods and what they do, yet? Enough to maybe write a short guide? 'Cause I'm still stumped/clueless on a lot of these tags.

I've been spending a fair amount of time modding various creatures into the game. I don't claim to know much, but I do know about how most of the tags function (I think). I probably can't write a guide though other than explaining the basics.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 27, 2010, 06:53:53 am »

What's your problem, SirHoneyBadger? I think you're aware of http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Creature_tokens . It explains everything.

Or maybe you mean something else under creature "mods"? Do you mean "variations"?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 27, 2010, 07:16:13 pm »

Yeah but that causes the animal to avoid Dwarves. I would want it to just ignore them completely unless the Dwarves attack them.

If you lower their eyesight, you can have them not NOTICE Dwarves until stumbled upon. I think Deon did that with Gelatinous Cubes in one iteration of his mod. They were an unstoppable force of nature that pretty much could not be killed... but they didn't notice Dwarves over 2 tiles away.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

namragog

• Bay Watcher
  • How many woods can a wood wood chu- Wait, no...
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 27, 2010, 08:51:35 pm »

hm, I want to use that coldbreath mod at the beginning of this thread, but I don't know how to add it to my creature, or to use it at all. Please help!
Erarngumrash!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 27, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »

Alright, so I'm fairly new to this. I understand the basics and such (barely) from spending hours splicing different mods together in horrible and stupid ways and then having to backtrack and fix it all.

So I decided I just wanted to make a few very small changes to vanilla DF, instead.

How does one go about creating new weapons and armours? Do you pretty much have to change an existing weapon, or can you create an entirely new one? and if you can create new weapons and armour types from scratch, how can I do it? Simply adding it to the weapon files doesn't work.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but as I said, new to the whole modding game.

namragog

• Bay Watcher
  • How many woods can a wood wood chu- Wait, no...
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »

also, could I possibly make something's blood molten gold? i need this :D
Erarngumrash!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 27, 2010, 09:52:46 pm »

Alright, so I'm fairly new to this. I understand the basics and such (barely) from spending hours splicing different mods together in horrible and stupid ways and then having to backtrack and fix it all.

So I decided I just wanted to make a few very small changes to vanilla DF, instead.

How does one go about creating new weapons and armours? Do you pretty much have to change an existing weapon, or can you create an entirely new one? and if you can create new weapons and armour types from scratch, how can I do it? Simply adding it to the weapon files doesn't work.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but as I said, new to the whole modding game.

Add the items to the raw files, and then gen a new world. They'll show up. I have 25 types of sword in my DF. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 27, 2010, 09:55:14 pm »

Aahh, *facepalm*

I forgot to gen a new world  ::)

Still, thanks for reminding me about that. Kind of a stupid mistake to make, but hey.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 27, 2010, 09:58:55 pm »

We all do it at least once. I've done it more than that. No worries.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2010, 10:04:51 pm »

uh, I got some code from an old archive that theoretically add catgirls and doggirls to df (I know it's weird, but I want to experiment with modding and this seemed like a good place to start) and it isn't working. the new species are are labeled as "nothing" as in, "stray nothing (tame)", they look just like dwarfs, and the game crashes when I try to view their descriptions. anyways, here's the code.

this goes in a new file called "creature_domestic_humanoid.txt"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and this goes in a new file called "body_domestic_humanoid.txt"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 357