Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421612 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #270 on: May 03, 2010, 08:26:51 am »

Hey, which are the qualities that make armor stronger? I want to keep my tarasque leather flexible, like normal leather, but hard to pierce, like metal armor...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 03, 2010, 08:46:20 am »

I think its the impact_ and shear_ properties that make armor better, but I'm not certain and I have no idea how those values interact.

In fact I think I'm going to expand the question, what values for metal make armor good armor?  What values make a good bladed weapon, and what values make a good bludgeoning weapon?

So far from what I gather max edge has alot to do with the strength of a blade, but it doesn't seem to be the only factor, and of course weight is awesome for something like a hammer, just as long as it dosn't go too high, but is that the only thing that matters with it?

P.S. From little semi serious tests in arena I discovered that an elephant corpse is nearly as deadly as a hammer, while a whale corpse barely dents anything.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 03, 2010, 09:56:54 am »

So I figure this is the closest we have to a modders general discussion, and it is sort of fitting here.

If you will read through the development log then under maps and sites you will notice toady plans to remove good and evil in place for more specific biomes.

Does this mean he will instead have things like 'undead' zones, 'fire' zones full of burning creatures like fire snakes and all sorts of other settings for overlay biomes.
And if so, any chance they will be in raw format, therefor allowing us to mod in our own biomes?

Just optimistically looking into the future...

Do you mean the spheres, or the actual creatures? I doubt you'll be able to mod the spheres, but I'm sure you'll be able to assign creatures to different "sphere biomes" for want of a better term. I think, what with the creature templates being added this time 'round, Toady's moving towards having creature variations for different zones, and they should be moddable. Actually, you could make basic things along those lines now - eg. [CREATURE_VARIATION:FIRE_ANIMAL] with [CV_NEW_TAG:FIREBREATHING]. All that's missing would be the ability to decide which sphere-alligned areas they ought to live in, and to automate the creature variations a bit (and even that's optional).

Probably have more luck in the suggestions forum if you've got some concrete ideas.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2010, 05:43:47 pm »

Just started working with Custom Workshops, and had a question.

Is there anyway to have a workshop require power, like a Millstone does? I didn't see any tags that suggested it on the Wiki but figured I'd ask to see if anyone had any info on it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2010, 06:31:14 pm »

I think it's not possible right now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:31 pm »

Hey, does anyone know what qualities to modify to make better armor from certain materials?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 04, 2010, 07:05:54 am »

Did anyone manage to make scales tannable?

What I did:
- Copy the SCALE template, make a new material called SKINSCALE with the exact same values
- Added [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SKINSCALE] to SCALE
- Added [LEATHER] and [ITEMS_LEATHER] to SKINSCALE

The result: it works, but instead of scales I get a weird yellow product called "crundle fatty" that works like leather.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:25 am »

Did anyone manage to make scales tannable?

What I did:
- Copy the SCALE template, make a new material called SKINSCALE with the exact same values
- Added [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SKINSCALE] to SCALE
- Added [LEATHER] and [ITEMS_LEATHER] to SKINSCALE

The result: it works, but instead of scales I get a weird yellow product called "crundle fatty" that works like leather.

Easiest way (and that's what I do in the next version of Direforged for hair, chitin, and scales):

And the following lines to the scale template entry:

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SCALE]
   [LEATHER]
   [ITEMS_LEATHER]

Your way works, too, but you forgot a step. In b_detail_plan_default.txt under the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS] plan, you'd have to add a new entry, like    [ADD_MATERIAL:SKINSCALE:SKINSCALE_TEMPLATE] . That way has the drawback of adding stuff like worm scale to about every material list.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 04, 2010, 06:05:11 pm »

Hey I'm back--sorry, I got dragged away to Las Vegas for my birthday, and didn't have access to the Internet for a few days. Well...ok, I'm not sorry.  8)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the fungusman issue has to do with actual material strength, which needs to be changed in the material raws that the creature raw accesses, rather than doing anything in the creature raw, itself.

So, in other words, you (hypothetically) should be able to set the material strength of their skin to the equivalent of, say, wood or bronze, which should then make them considerably tougher.

You'd do this by creating a brand new "fungusman skin" template, as strong as you want it to be. I'll post the Raws data, as soon as I figure out the exact process.
For they would be your masters.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 04, 2010, 06:11:33 pm »

I'm trying to make a reaction to create wood from stone, and the new RAWs confuse me. How would i go about putting this reaction into the smelter?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #280 on: May 04, 2010, 06:17:36 pm »

[REAGENT:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:yourtree:WOOD]
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 04, 2010, 06:22:47 pm »

Right. I are modding noob. Thanks
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 04, 2010, 06:28:04 pm »

Right. I are modding noob. Thanks

That's ok, I am too (just don't tell anybody, I'm trying to keep it a secret).
For they would be your masters.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 04, 2010, 06:36:28 pm »

Ok, I have

[REACTION:STONE_TO_COAL]
[NAME: turn stone to coal]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

[REACTION:STONE_TO_WOOD]
[NAME: turn stone to wood]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:PINE:WOOD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

and I added the reactions to the dwarven entity thing, but knowing me i screwed up somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:40:09 pm by Morrigi »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 04, 2010, 06:38:09 pm »

Does anyone have premade "Old HFS" for 2010?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 357