Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421628 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »

*Nom* No worries. *Om*

Now if only anyone could help me with my little issue a ways up the page.

I'm looking into that for you, Tinker Thinker.
For they would be your masters.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2010, 04:23:28 pm »

Thanks SirHoneyBadger. It's nice to get some feedback, at least.

Also, to be clear, I'm looking particularly to give them a similar-but-different materials construction from fleshy types (lower break ranges, but higher elasticity), and to make them complex enough that they don't get one-shot twice as often as everyone else due to low numbers of fingers or whatever.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »

[TORSION] - This refers to twisting force. Doing that thing where you grip someone's arm tightly and pull their skin in two different directions. May also affect the difficulty of ripping someone's head off by twisting. . .
High TORSION parameters make items made of this material to pierce all materials it encounters. I use it for lead ammo in Wasteland mod.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2010, 04:56:38 pm »

@Deon:
. . . What.
What.
What.

What is this I don't even-

Dorf physics.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »

Yeah, sorry I'm so slow on this. The new version is (to me anyway) pretty amazingly complex. I'm still in the "educating myself" stage, and I might be there for a while...

Fortunately, I'm happy to report that the old modding info from earlier versions hasn't been erased from the DF Wiki. It's still there, just moved over to the Archives. That's extremely helpful, and I'm grateful to the Wiki maintainers for all their hard work.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2010, 06:13:34 pm »

Darn it!
I wanted to add under water critters like crabs that would walk on the ocean floor, and seaweed and coral and such so that I could explore the ocean floor in adventure mode.

So much water, all going to waste...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2010, 06:19:10 pm »

Darn it!
I wanted to add under water critters like crabs that would walk on the ocean floor, and seaweed and coral and such so that I could explore the ocean floor in adventure mode.

So much water, all going to waste...

I know! I really hope we get complex oceans someday.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2010, 06:20:26 pm »

You could add Coral as a rock that spawns in siliceous ooze and other sea-soils. Might look nice if you stick in a load of veins. There's also a tag called [SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_SHALLOW] that might let you place it as a layer stone. I'll just go check.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2010, 06:27:42 pm »

Ah well, one day.
I hope toady one day works the raws to be a little more flexible. I mean its not like he even needs to add new raws (Apart from a creature or two to demonstrate new tags) with all these modders willing to do the grunt work.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2010, 06:53:36 pm »

I hope you know just how much work it takes to get the game to be as flexible as it is. The "grunt work" of adding a thousand new creatures absolutely pales in comparison to the work it takes to make it possible to add them without a programming textbook, or the game crashing. Given that Dwarf Fortress is pretty solidly based on land, it'd be foolish to spend man hours dicking about with the oceans.

Anyway, I looked at making coral a layer rock and wouldn't reccommend it. It tends to extend out on to the beach, leading to "coral pebbles" Changing it to [SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_DEEP] stops that, but at the cost of it being miles out from the shore (so you wouldn't see it anyway, unless you swam out in adventurer mode). I'd say make a few types of coral-themed rock and put them as veins in the ocean soil layers. They'll make a nice reef effect and rock-bringing civilizations will bring them, although you'll have a vigorous challenge trying to get them yourself.

Uh...I think there was something else I meant to mention, but I forget it. Seems that's happening a lot today...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:41 pm »

Yes, I know that there is A LOT of work in making a stable game engine, but something like separating entitys that live in caves from entitys that are hidden on embark would be mundane, and provide modders with some AWESOME new possibilitys as far an entitys go.

The hard bit, the basic framework for the tags, is ready, now editing how the tags themselves work in easy in retrospect.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2010, 07:49:17 pm »

Yes, I know that there is A LOT of work in making a stable game engine, but something like separating entitys that live in caves from entitys that are hidden on embark would be mundane, and provide modders with some AWESOME new possibilitys as far an entitys go.

Well, there's always something else to do.

Plus, assuming I'm understanding you correctly, you can already do that. Kobolds live in caves, - ie the surface entrance to the underground areas, wheras the animal people live in the underground proper. Is that what you meant?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2010, 07:59:41 pm »

Nope.
What I mean is that Kobalds don't show up on any maps, nor do they show as a civilisation when you tab to the civilisations screen on embark. The ONLY way to get this effect is by having the entity live in caves or caverns.

Personaly I would love to have tigermen live in hidden villages in forests, and evil knights conspire in unknown dark towers in the badlands, but both are forced into caves. This realy puts pressure on the number of caves when you have more then a few entitys trying for them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:19 am »

So I'm thinking...

Were I to add CLOTHING_ITEM:FORCED onto a nobles position, would that work in making sure that said noble always carried that item?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2010, 05:13:57 am »

So I'm thinking...

Were I to add CLOTHING_ITEM:FORCED onto a nobles position, would that work in making sure that said noble always carried that item?
subtag (ie optional) "forced" works the same as previous version and exactly as you said: makes whatever entity or position always appear with the item when it is gen'd in whatever form (immigrants, embark starting, and adventure mode).  you can have a certain creature entity near always wear a custom armored pants when they are "made".  if there's multiple similar body part items but with different tags then it acts on a higher priority chance of use. or in case of multiple FORCED tags then it acts as if it wasn't tagged but they'd always have one of the forced.

sorry i talk in metaphors half the time. pictures explain better for me.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 357