Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421663 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2010, 05:24:04 pm »

Thrin: You may be right about that...

What I stated was as it appeared in my Fortress, but it's entirely possible that the default "profession" for a given dwarf is simply their highest applicable skill. I'll run a few tests this weekend to confirm that.

By the way, please feel free to PM me concerning this thread/modding in general--especially if you've got any questions that noone else has answered yet.

Again, I can't guarantee that I'll have answers, but I will try to find them. Please keep in mind that I possibly might be more slow and/or less accurate, than other sources of information.

For they would be your masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2010, 09:02:27 pm »

Hello folks!
So now that I think I have the habit of selecting and creating castes, I'm wondering...

Can you somehow select all children as a caste?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2010, 03:19:21 am »

BEST THING EVER!
My lion men built a temple in a climate that was too hot for water, so it all evaporated and what was left looked very similar to a coliseum. But that's not the best part. There were several dead body at the bottom and the tribe leader was the only one left walking around in there carrying a wooden short sword.

They built a coliseum and the tribe leader kicked ass!

Yes, I know it was all just coincidence, but what a coincidence! But it brings me to my next point. Why do my civilizations have dead bodies in there unit list, and not others? Its annoying when the tribe leader dies because they don't get a new one!

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2010, 07:33:07 am »

i did the same, "make" a fur template and it works too. i don't know, my version "feels" better to me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
fur is designed for insulation so i doubled instead of 1.5 like you did. also sorta makes sense that stronger animals have thicker stronger fur so added the tag that muscles use but with base thickness of normal hair and skin. yes fur scars, notice how some animals that recovered from a serous gash or something have a pissing patch of fur where the skin also scar'ed?

Ooh that's nice. Mind if I use it for my gnolls?
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2010, 09:43:17 am »

i did the same, "make" a fur template and it works too. i don't know, my version "feels" better to me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
fur is designed for insulation so i doubled instead of 1.5 like you did. also sorta makes sense that stronger animals have thicker stronger fur so added the tag that muscles use but with base thickness of normal hair and skin. yes fur scars, notice how some animals that recovered from a serous gash or something have a pissing patch of fur where the skin also scar'ed?

Ooh that's nice. Mind if I use it for my gnolls?
sure! but i removed [scars] due to a logic understanding from a similar person's version (person i quoted but i had mine for awhile, 2 weeks before this post).

make sure when adding tot he creature you put [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FUR:FUR_TEMPLATE] after the
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
and replace
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] with
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:FUR]
this second is what actually "sets" but the first tag lets the tissue be used for the specific creature file section.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:49:28 am by soul4hdwn »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:03 am »

make sure when adding tot he creature you put [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FUR:FUR_TEMPLATE] after the
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
and replace
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] with
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:FUR]
this second is what actually "sets" but the first tag lets the tissue be used for the specific creature file section.

Translation:
The first tag tells the creature what 'fur' is made out of.
The second tells it where 'fur' goes.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »

Hi modders
i have a question about the tag [LAYER_LINKED], i tried to make civs with that tag to be the only [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] but it don't seems to generate a world with them (if i put playable race required just reject if i don't i get no fortress mode playable)
it seems for me that they don't get nerated properly ... anyone has arrived to make a LAYER_LINKED controllable civ?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2010, 09:27:48 am »

Hello everyone.
I am trying to mod a special type of harpy, with bronze talons. But I can't seem to figure out how to replace talons or replace their material with bronze. Anyone else tried this?
(Note: Bronze colossus is not a good example, all metal men in DF are "entire chunks of metal with human shape" so they don't tell how to replace, for example, skin for metal or nails for metal)
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2010, 10:13:44 am »

I've been messing around with the Weapon Files for entities and tried to build an Atlatl, a Ranged Weapon that uses the Throwing skill rather than Crossbow skill. I tried to test it in Fortress Mode after some successful arena tests, but found that for some reason my Military won't use throwing weapons.

Is this supposed to happen in 2010? I thought that Toady said that Dwarves (and other player controlled entities) would no longer be restricted to just the normal Crossbow/Sword/Axe, etc. weapon choices that they had back in 40d.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2010, 10:27:26 am »

Did you make sure to add it to their entity file?
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2010, 10:31:23 am »

Did you make sure to add it to their entity file?

Yep, I can even buy the Atlatl and its Javelin ammo on the embark screen, but I can't get anyone to use them. They tested out fine in Arena mode (perhaps too well since one was able to kill an Elephant in one shot), but they don't seem to work in Fortress mode.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:19 am »

Hey, I have a question. In the gender files, one can give different castes of a creature different preferences for hairstyles. I just have one question. Can one put multiple tags of the descriptor, like BRAIDED and PONY_TAIL, so as to limit the kinds of hairstyles a certain caste may have?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:38 am »

so far the military are really F**ked up I can't even get my dwarfs to use crossbows, if anyone knows how to set it up properly please tell, as much as I enjoy drunk axe wielding dwarfs I still like to have rangers

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2010, 01:16:44 pm »

Hey, I have a question. In the gender files, one can give different castes of a creature different preferences for hairstyles. I just have one question. Can one put multiple tags of the descriptor, like BRAIDED and PONY_TAIL, so as to limit the kinds of hairstyles a certain caste may have?

I'll work on trying to find this out.

Hugo_The_Dwarf: I'm trying to figure that out, myself. So far, I haven't even gotten them to put on armour...
For they would be your masters.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2010, 01:27:09 pm »

Hugo_The_Dwarf: I'm trying to figure that out, myself. So far, I haven't even gotten them to put on armour...

I've gotten armor and melee weapons working, after awhile you get the arsonal dwarf, you need him for soldiers to even use anything (unless there is no option for assiging a arsonal dwarf then squads grab whatever they like "that is a option to them at least") after you get a arsonal dwarf or AD then you can acually assign a specifc weapon or armor to each soldier (such as a cloak with Urist McHero sown into for Urist McHero) AD needs manager skill... but I don't understand why I can't have archers

Edit: on another note how does
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:ALL]
[TL_HEALING_RATE:1]

work does this mean it has almost instant healing for all tissues? does that count for bones as well? (found on Hydra in raws)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:29:14 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 357