Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421738 times)

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB: GRAPHICS_SURGEON]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2010, 05:50:51 am »

And on the graphics side of modding, my own testing has shown that wound dresser is not a profession. No dwarf will become one, no matter what skill level they have, so there is no way to assign a graphic to them. If this was common knowledge, please, feel free to point and laugh.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to have different graphics for different castes? I'm fairly sure it's not, but if it is...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2010, 05:53:24 am »

Thrin: I believe dwarfs with medical skill turn into doctors. Also, the way skills are reflected, as professions, has been changed. For instance, a dwarf with a high level of wood cutting will be a wood worker, no longer a wood cutter. Another dwarf with a high level of carpentry, but no skill at wood cutting, would likewise be a wood worker.
For they would be your masters.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2010, 12:05:40 pm »

This may or may not be helpful, but I just tried the experiment of using barrels of blood as if they were milk.  My goal was to make them into "blood cheese" (blood pudding) with a Cheesemaker.  I inserted the cheese lines from milk into the blood material definition.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It worked fine, up to a point.  My Cheesemaker is processing the barrels of blood that I had purchased.  However, instead of stacks of "blood cheese" I am getting stacks of animal skin which are being stored in a barrel.  The next stage of the experiment will be to see if any of these get cooked into a prepared meal.

Edit: I suppose this is happening because the creatures whose blood I bought have nothing about milk or cheese in their raws.  It might still be interesting to people to see what the game does with my attempt.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:08:32 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2010, 12:42:13 pm »

A simple question: are generated demons and forgotten beasts somewhere in raws? I seem to remember Toady saying something about exporting them to raws but can't find them. Basically, I have 50 demons in my underground and their flying is ruining my FPS. I need to take their flying tags off.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2010, 01:26:14 pm »

This may or may not be helpful, but I just tried the experiment of using barrels of blood as if they were milk.  My goal was to make them into "blood cheese" (blood pudding) with a Cheesemaker.  I inserted the cheese lines from milk into the blood material definition.

It worked fine, up to a point.  My Cheesemaker is processing the barrels of blood that I had purchased.  However, instead of stacks of "blood cheese" I am getting stacks of animal skin which are being stored in a barrel.  The next stage of the experiment will be to see if any of these get cooked into a prepared meal.

Edit: I suppose this is happening because the creatures whose blood I bought have nothing about milk or cheese in their raws.  It might still be interesting to people to see what the game does with my attempt.

Strangely enough, blood pudding is my next goal after I finish my sausage making reaction for my Food Processor workshop. Of course, the dwarves haven't mastered the sausage yet, and the base meat and intestine are being turned into a mystery "meat"...
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2010, 04:52:59 pm »

Stargrasper: Can reactions operate without any input of raw materials? Could that be the reason the reaction isn't working? If not--if it's spitting out items anyway, seemingly randomly--could there be some kind of time-delay factor at work?

Actually yes, you are allowed to have reactions without reagents.  My testing has demonstrated this unequivocally. To test exactly that, I wrote reactions to spit out wood, fuel, and obsidian.  The wood and fuel worked after a big of tweaking.  The obsidian, like the glass, didn't work at first and then randomly decided to start working after I went to test something else.  In fact, it was the glass I had gone to try testing when the obsidian randomly decided to start working.  And then when testing something else, the glass reaction started working for no apparent reason.  Both obsidian and glass started working for no apparent reason.  It was after I'd stopped working on them that they started functioning.  I can't figure out what the system is doing to detect these things.

What's seemingly random is whether or not the reactions will appear in the workshop list or job manager.  Further testing on my part has yet to demonstrate consistent behaviour.  Given that it is no longer the weekend and I have A LOT of work during the week, I won't be able to do extensive testing, but I'll see what I can do.

Anyone remember me from back on page 3?  Seeing as my issues haven't been addressed, I'm feeling a bit lost in the shuffle. :P

Anyway, I haven't had time to test anything new.  I just didn't want to be totally buried under everyone else.  Anyone have any thoughts as to what the system is doing to me?  I sure as heck can't figure it out.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »

Considering that Toady's own soap making reaction seems a bit borked I'm thinking it's more a bug issue than a modding issue when things don't show up in workshops properly.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB: GRAPHICS_SURGEON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »

Thrin: I believe dwarfs with medical skill turn into doctors. Also, the way skills are reflected, as professions, has been changed. For instance, a dwarf with a high level of wood cutting will be a wood worker, no longer a wood cutter. Another dwarf with a high level of carpentry, but no skill at wood cutting, would likewise be a wood worker.

I'm sorry, but unless things changed between 31.02 and 31.03, that is not true. I have, in fact, had to change nothing from 40d, graphics-wise. I just add in the new professions.

As for your example, I have plenty of wood cutters and carpenters running around my 31.02 fort, so I'm not sure what you are getting at. The only time a dwarf's profession is changed to the general name, as opposed to a specific skill name, is when they have equal levels of skill in two or more skills that are under that general category. Graphics can be used to help differentiate between your wood cutter and carpenter, as well as your more generally skilled woodworker.

I should note that some graphic packs don't add graphics for all specialties, and therefore have their woodworkers, carpenters and wood cutters all look the same, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Perhaps I should give a quick definition to what I mean by profession and job. A profession, to me, is a skill or set of skills, that, when high enough, will change the dwarfs profession tag in their info. A job is a skill that you can control whether it's used or not. I hope this clears any miscommunication.

Of course, the dwarves haven't mastered the sausage yet, and the base meat and intestine are being turned into a mystery "meat"...

Well, do you know what meat goes into your sausage? Sure, they say it's beef or pork, but really, do you trust them? And dwarves don't have the FDA breathing down their neck, either.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2010, 06:15:35 pm »

Hiya! I'm back and useless as always, but don't worry, I'm an investment! The more I know about modding, the more questions I can answer and you won't have to.

So, the challenge today is that I can't seem to get my custom race to use any items. They refuse to pick up the wooden spears, they won't touch the wooden shields, and they won't even look at the loincloth I set out for them! Has anybody else had this and knows how to fix it?

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2010, 07:21:59 pm »

Does the entity file have the proper tags that let them use those items? Missing the    [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR] tag and the like?

Maybe since they are wooden, you are missing the [OUTDOOR_WOOD] and [INDOOR_WOOD] tags. Possible you gave them [PERMITTED_JOB:CARPENTER], yet without the indoor/outdoor wood tags they wont use the products.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2010, 07:25:10 pm »

Strangely enough, blood pudding is my next goal after I finish my sausage making reaction for my Food Processor workshop. Of course, the dwarves haven't mastered the sausage yet, and the base meat and intestine are being turned into a mystery "meat"...

They refused to cook with my manufactured skin-cheeses, at least under conditions where they were cooking with real cheese.  My guess is that it lacks some feature to attract their attention, such as any real properties.  It has the symbol of cheese, so I could not tan it.  I was finally able to sell it to the Dwarven caravan for 10 dwarfbucks per unit.  I don't remember what I paid for the barrels of blood so that might have given me free barrels at least.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2010, 07:33:16 pm »

Does the entity file have the proper tags that let them use those items? Missing the    [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR] tag and the like?

Maybe since they are wooden, you are missing the [OUTDOOR_WOOD] and [INDOOR_WOOD] tags. Possible you gave them [PERMITTED_JOB:CARPENTER], yet without the indoor/outdoor wood tags they wont use the products.

Thanks for the help, although it turns out it was none of these things. There was no problem with the race, just the creature! I had forgot to add the [EQUIPS] tag, so after adding that everything started working as expected.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14:09 pm »

They refused to cook with my manufactured skin-cheeses, at least under conditions where they were cooking with real cheese.  My guess is that it lacks some feature to attract their attention, such as any real properties.  It has the symbol of cheese, so I could not tan it.  I was finally able to sell it to the Dwarven caravan for 10 dwarfbucks per unit.  I don't remember what I paid for the barrels of blood so that might have given me free barrels at least.

Well, my current experiments in sausage making are taking me in a direction where I have to add new tags to the various meat materials in material_template_default... Perhaps you might alter the blood template to better suit your needs, instead of trying to force it into cheesemaking?

Gah, that will teach me to not read posts carefully.. Maybe try adding a kitchen reaction to use blood, instead of going the milk route?

EDIT: Ok, actually, I might have an idea for you. It looks like the milk template also has [liQUID_MISC_CREATURE]... That might do something with cheesemaking, and its something blood doesn't have normally.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:21:55 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2010, 10:21:52 pm »

So I've got this dilemma with custom workshops. I suppose I could split up the workshop into multiple buildings or just have a long list with increasingly arbitrary hotkeys, but is there a way to get the reaction name split up into different categories? To rephrase, mimic what a craftdwarves shop does in which you select, say wood or rock, and each of those has their seperate list of the same crafts you can make?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2010, 11:03:22 pm »

Well I feel proud!
I managed to crash the game during world gen, I think it has something to do with a new entity I was trying to test. Here is code if anybody out there knows something I don't, but I guess I shall play around with it. Might figure out why things went wrong.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 357