Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421751 times)

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:25 pm »

coudl be a number of problems. i'm not good on poisons yet but i think it is either:
the syndrome itself is not syn_inhaled
the coughing_blood doesn't target vascular_only
and/or the syndrome itself doesn't use enter_blood (stream).

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 04:09:07 pm »

I had ENTERS_BLOOD, and I just added VASCULAR_ONLY to the coughing blood part for similar results.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 04:10:05 pm »

Okay, I got everything to work. Molten obsidian blood, redacted bones, nobody's spontaneously combusting.
It's working pretty much like it should. Nobody ever hits them with the same sword twice*. Melting faces is fun.
Turns out your punches hit pretty darn hard when your bones are made of redacted -
Eight of them just took out a Bronze Colossus in a wrestling match. Of course, if they'd had any weapons, they'd have melted in their grasp just like the colossus, so maybe weapons wouldn't have changed much.

*unless it's raining, since then the magma is instantly washed off of the blade before transferring any heat. Bug?

I made some chimps with iron skin and molten iron blood, but so far none of the kobold axemen I sent against them have died from heat or anything. The only thing different from normal blood I've seen so far is piles and dustings of iron after it solidifies. Perhaps they don't bleed enough since I didn't give their iron skin the [VASCULAR] tag. In any case, I'm disappointed there was no deaths from flying molten metal :(

So far my experiments with magma/molten metal for blood aren't working... I tried making some uber-dwarves like NinjaE8825 described, but their magma blood seemed to have little effect on weapons... Could it be that I'm missing a tag or something that defines how how hot the magma is, and it's solidifying too quickly? It seems that barely any magma comes out, and the stuff that does disappears rather quickly.

I've only changed a few material/tissue things from the base dwarf, mainly giving them steel bones:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and liquid obsidian blood:

Besides that, the only other changes I made were to remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] and add [NO_DRINK] and [NO_EAT], which I don't think would affect temperatures at all (especially in the arena).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:12:51 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 04:51:34 pm »

Is it possible to add experience caps for workshops?

I'm making a custom workshop so it'll be possible for me to place it in a "library" area, where peasants can get a little bit of experience in certain skills, and where others can just go for leisure, without gaining any experience. I'd like it so that plant gathering "books" will cap out at Adept, while skills that require a lot of real experience such as engraving can only cap out at Adequate.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 04:53:58 pm »

So far my experiments with magma/molten metal for blood aren't working... I tried making some uber-dwarves like NinjaE8825 described, but their magma blood seemed to have little effect on weapons... Could it be that I'm missing a tag or something that defines how how hot the magma is, and it's solidifying too quickly? It seems that barely any magma comes out, and the stuff that does disappears rather quickly.

And liquid obsidian blood:

Besides that, the only other changes I made were to remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] and add [NO_DRINK] and [NO_EAT], which I don't think would affect temperatures at all (especially in the arena).

I would guess you are missing a tag, have you tried adding the [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:x] to the blood or increasing the homeotherm temperature for the dwarf? Because right now you are sending mixed signals, the blood is body temperature so it should be solid, but it is also told to be liquid. Try setting the homeotherm or fixed temp to be between the melting points of obsidian and iron, possibly also increasing the heat damage and ignite points of other things like hair and skin and organs.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2010, 06:43:21 pm »

The problem was definitely related to the homeotherm value. Though, after setting that high enough to melt their blood (which required changing their bones to bauxite or <redacted>, and changing the various heat dam/ignition/melting/boiling melting points of their other tissues), their magma blood still didn't pool nicely on the ground following the dwarf getting hacked apart. Not to mention with that high of a homeotherm, any clothing they wore immediately combusted.

So, I've settled on having my uber dwarves having steel bones and alcohol for blood. The question, now, is whether I can utilize "dwarf alcohol" for anything interesting  ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:46:22 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2010, 07:49:31 pm »

PRAISE TO ARMOK!
This is exactly what I needed! I'm trying my hand at modding for the first time, and could really use some help. Making the creatures was easy enough, but the entity part is trickery.

I'll be hanging around to help anybody I can, if i can, and ask some questions of my own from here on in.

For starters, what determines what sort of structures a civilization will build, and out of what material. So for example if I wanted to build a dark tower out of ice, is that possible?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2010, 09:27:09 pm »

Is it possible to add experience caps for workshops?

I'm making a custom workshop so it'll be possible for me to place it in a "library" area, where peasants can get a little bit of experience in certain skills, and where others can just go for leisure, without gaining any experience. I'd like it so that plant gathering "books" will cap out at Adept, while skills that require a lot of real experience such as engraving can only cap out at Adequate.

You will have to set that cap yourself

1. you will need a manager
2. select workshop and press (SHIFT+P) to enter workshop
3. I believe its the (+/-) buttons that controll what level of skill (that is maximum skill) that is allowed to use this workshop

you can also controll the (minimum skill) that can use it, I used this techique to make sure my best metalsmiths where making very fine weapons and armor while the lesser smiths had their own workshops to train in so they could use these legendary workshops lol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2010, 09:34:07 pm »

PRAISE TO ARMOK!
This is exactly what I needed! I'm trying my hand at modding for the first time, and could really use some help. Making the creatures was easy enough, but the entity part is trickery.

I'll be hanging around to help anybody I can, if i can, and ask some questions of my own from here on in.

For starters, what determines what sort of structures a civilization will build, and out of what material. So for example if I wanted to build a dark tower out of ice, is that possible?

While I'm almost 100% sure there's no way to actually change what a specific site type looks like or what the buildings are made from (though I'd love to be wrong!), the various site tokens determine where a civ lives while the construction tokens determine what other things they build.

This is for sites:

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:<site token>]
[liKES_SITE:<site token>]
[TOLERATES_SITE:<site token>]

The civ will usually dwell in the DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE, but some events in world gen can force them to move to their LIKES_SITE or TOLERATES_SITE. The chance is higher for LIKES_SITE than it is for TOLERATES_SITE. Typically the DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE site token is also put as a LIKES_SITE and TOLERATES_SITE, and for the vanilla civs is the only LIKES_SITE. This might influence what new sites are built by the civ, but I'm not entirely sure.

Site tokens:
CITY - this is the standard town with shops and mead hall (used by humans in vanilla)
TREE_CITY - use this if you want them to just sorta hang around outdoors
CAVE - the civ will live near entrances to caves
CAVE_DETAILED - dwarf fortress sites
RUIN - run down version of another site that's been destroyed in world gen
DARK_FORTRESS - this is the big obsidian tower site

World constructions are other things the civ will build besides sites:

[WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:<construction token>]

Construction tokens: WALL, ROAD, TUNNEL, BRIDGE

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:41:54 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2010, 09:40:15 pm »

Watching thread.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 10:13:09 pm »

Thanks a lot for the help ISoB!
I'm currently trying to get a species of snow elfs going, but for some reason that refuse to spawn anywhere. I have set it up so that there civilization spawns on glaciers, and doesn't mind tundra.

I think it is because I got lazy and just used elves for the race, and they like forest, so there is no point when the forest dwelling elves are in the glaciers to make a town.

Ah well, now I need to mod myself some elves!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 10:15:45 pm »

I recall reading that glaciers don't really work as a civ spawn point.  Might have something to do with glacier technically being part of an ocean.

Try setting them to start on tundra, that might work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 10:23:54 pm »

Well that's heart breaking!
I shall try it, but I really wish I could have them on glaciers.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2010, 10:41:13 pm »

Nope, not even on tundra do they spawn, guess they just don't like existance.

I made a new species for them, mostly coped from normal elves, and they wont show up in the arena...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2010, 11:15:38 pm »

The creature you're using shouldn't really matter for where you're trying to get their civ to show up (unless the biome is deadly to the creature, of course). It's more of a problem of if there's enough places that the civ can spawn. Care to share what biome tags you're putting on the entity?

EDIT: Just saw you're having trouble getting them in the arena, too. That's probably a syntax error or perhaps a duplicate token in the creature file. Did you make sure to call them something different than [CREATURE:ELF]? Like [CREATURE:SNOW_ELF], maybe. Make sure you're using that same one in the entity file, too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:21:25 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 357