Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419644 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #690 on: September 04, 2010, 05:31:04 pm »

Anyway, I'm attempting an avatar:the last airbender mod, and I have a few questions. can you give a creature two breath attacks that they use interchangeably? And actually, how do breath attacks work in general? I'm going to try and use breath attacks to simulate "bending". Also, can you declare body temperature/make something impervious to fire at the caste level?

Q1: I think so.  2 Separate breath attack entries do make different breath attacks.  And I think they are used randomly.  But I'm not entirely sure of that last part.  Multiple attacks are certainly possible though.

Q2: Custom breath attacks can be either an undirected or directional burst of dust (buggy throws everything around, including the breather) undirected or directional gas, undirected or directional vapor, and solid globs or liquid globs.
Undirected is just an omnidirectional burst of the breath materiel. and directed is like dragonfire both are highly random in range, usually only having about half the range of hardcoded dragonfire, but can range from 0 tiles to 10i(ish) tiles in range for each breath.  Gas uses the materiel's gas properties and does not stick to skin.  Vapor uses the materiel's liquid properties and creates contaminants(sticks to skin).  For that reason, vapor is often very good for contact poison.  Solid and Liquid globs are a lot like an adventurer throwing stones.  But unlike the gas and vapor effects these have full range.  Making it possible to have a long ranged weapon using critter,  it's basically an octoroc from Legend of Zelda, using whatever the materiel you defined as a projectile.  (first modded critter I ever saw use that breath attack was Knight Otu's Octoroc)

Q3: I've done that myself.  It seems you simply put something like the vanilla dragon's temperature values inside the area where the caste's details are defined.  The temperature modifications will only affect that caste.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:35:31 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 04, 2010, 11:01:45 pm »

Fishing in magma? And HFS is woven, right?

I'm thinking HFS fishing tackle.
For they would be your masters.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 06, 2010, 06:46:19 pm »

can you define the physical attributes at the caste level?

I'm talking about this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

could I put a copy of that under each caste and make them differ from each other?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 06, 2010, 07:15:06 pm »

Yes, you can. What I would suggest, though, is declaring the attribute ranges for each individual caste rather than declaring them first then "overwriting" them. Say, if I wanted to change STRENGTH and TOUGHNESS, and I wanted the STRENGTH to be different for two castes but the TOUGHNESS to be the same, I'd do this:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:asdf]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:TOUGHNESS:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]
[CASTE:CASTE_1]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]
[CASTE:CASTE_2]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:700:1200:1400:1500:1600:1800:2500]

The reason I suggest this is because when I didn't do things this way (and declared general attribute ranges for the creature then overwrote those ranges for specific castes) I got things like "He is muscular. He is muscular." showing up on the creatures.

tl;dr try to avoid declaring the same attribute multiple times for one caste

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:27 pm »

thanks, I was just going to declare the ones I'm changing at the caste level anyway, since the others are human baseline.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 07, 2010, 09:47:25 pm »

Hey, a n00b modder here with several queries.

I am attempting to make shadow creatures, but I'm not so sure how to make and assign a tissue functionally similar to the fire-man tissue, except it's not going to set my dwarves on fire and that I want to give it several body parts made of a different material ((bronze-strength claws and a bronze mask that's dropped on death)).

Bonus points if someone can tell me how to make it so that any lopped off parts evaporate.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 07, 2010, 11:00:33 pm »

Tissues aren't what you're looking for; they don't control material properies (which is, naturally, the realm of materials). If you want, you can just point ot the "flame" material template (the same way the fire man does) and adjust its properties within the creature entry. Example:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLAME:FLAME_TEMPLATE] #We'll keep the internal material name as "FLAME" for now as that's what the tissue template looks for. You could change it, but that'd mean an extra line later on.
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:BLACK]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:shadow]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:shadow]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:0] #This is pure black and will show up weirdly (just an empty tile). Personally, I like this, but you can change it to 0:0:1 to make the foreground element lighter
#I'm not entirely sure what to do with some of these values. On the one hand, you want the shadow to behave a bit like a liquid. On the other, doing that will probably break its combat effectiveness. I've set the strain values to that of blood for now, so you should have a hard time "breaking" it.
[IMPACT_YIELD:602000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:843500]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:10]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:602000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:843500]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:10]
[TENSILE_YIELD:172000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:241000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:10]
[TORSION_YIELD:172000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:241000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:10]
[SHEAR_YIELD:172000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:241000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:10]
[BENDING_YIELD:172000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:241000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:10]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:STRONGSHADOW:FLAME_TEMPLATE] #Unlike the material, the identifier here is only used in designations (and perhaps some creature variation templates/detail plans/etc). So if you're OCD about this as I am, you can change it.
[TISSUE_NAME:shadow:NP]
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:LIQUID] #Fire men have this as "gas" but I think I'll change it, if only for the purpose of using you and your investment of time/effort as a gueina pig.

Then:

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY(/BY_TOKEN/BY_TYPE):(bodypart category/token/type):STRONGSHADOW]
That'll do for the bronze-strength bits. For the rest you could just copy blood or something, but then it'd be hilariously weak. I suggest you instead use the bronze-strength-shadow for the entire body, which can be done via

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:STRONGSHADOW]
The mask thing is surprisingly tricky. You'll be able to make one via the ITEMCORPSE token, but you'll never be able to use it (due to a bug armour and clothing produced via ITEMCORPSE always comes out at some inane size). If you'd still like to try it, this should work:

[ITEMCORPSE:HELM:ITEM_HELM_MASK:BRONZE:NO_RACEGLOSS]
Evaporation is a bit... ehh. You'll want to somehow make it boil at underground temperature, but then you'd have to get rid of FIXED_TEMP, and even then the creature would just boil away/be in a constant boiling state/etc.. I can't think of a way of getting it to work properly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:06:19 pm by 3 »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 07, 2010, 11:01:59 pm »

Thank'ee kindly, good sir.

:D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 08, 2010, 12:55:18 am »

Brand new to modding, was trying to look at the raws to see if i could figure it out, more specifically the custom_building.txt and the reactions and its all foreign to me lol. Is there a tutorial that can better explain all the raws? or do i have to pick through this thread and see if someone mentioned it at some point?

Thanks in advance
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 08, 2010, 01:09:49 am »

What exactly are you trying to figure out?

The files are seperated into several categories, most of which I'm sure you'll be able to get a basic understanding of on your own (the OBJECT:whatever header at the top of the file tells the parser which category the file should be in). Said categories are mutally exclusive; there's no mixing of creature entries and item entries, for example.

Files are made up of entries which are themselves made up of individual tokens or "tags"; these tokens essentially determine everything about the entry. More on raws in general can be found here.

If there's nothing specific you're looking to find out, then the wiki category on modding is a decent place to start.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 08, 2010, 02:12:01 am »

What exactly are you trying to figure out?

The files are seperated into several categories, most of which I'm sure you'll be able to get a basic understanding of on your own (the OBJECT:whatever header at the top of the file tells the parser which category the file should be in). Said categories are mutally exclusive; there's no mixing of creature entries and item entries, for example.

Files are made up of entries which are themselves made up of individual tokens or "tags"; these tokens essentially determine everything about the entry. More on raws in general can be found here.

If there's nothing specific you're looking to find out, then the wiki category on modding is a decent place to start.

I was looking at a game by hyndis, it had a custom building that was called "Mine Shaft", basically you had 9 choices of different gems and stone and when you selected what you wanted a miner would come and "mine" in the center tile of the mine shaft and a short time later it would produce whatever you selected to be hauled away by a dwarf.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 08, 2010, 04:05:09 pm »

Can you make your own entity txt files and have them function properly? Or do all new entities have to be put in the entity_default txt file?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 08, 2010, 05:00:29 pm »

You can make whatever new files you like. I'd encourage you to.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 08, 2010, 05:20:06 pm »

You can make whatever new files you like. I'd encourage you to.

Hm, when I tried making my entity file the game didn't recognize it. Perhaps I should try again.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 08, 2010, 05:21:41 pm »

It needs to be named "entity_(whatever)" and have the filename at the very top of the file itself.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 357