Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419804 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #600 on: August 16, 2010, 05:46:08 am »

Is it possible to limit noble positions by caste? Like, say, if somebody made a multi-racial (represented through caste) society, and had different leadership positions for each "race"? Like Human King, Dwarf King, Elf King, etc.?
Yes. Give the castes in question a [CREATURE_CLASS:blah] tag, and the position the according [ALLOWED_CLASS:blah] tag. So if you want an elf king in your civ, give the elf castes of your creature the [CREATURE_CLASS:ELF_CASTE], and give the elf king position the [ALLOWED_CLASS:ELF_CASTE] token, and so forth with the other castes and positions. It's probably not necessary to give the creature class a different name from the creature/caste, but that should keep you on the safe side. Another caveat is that Dwarf Mode nobles/appointments seem to ignore such restrictions, whether by intent or by bug.

But yes, castes are not genetic.
so all this does is filter the chances of people being noble or does this make every one from that caste a noble?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 16, 2010, 09:58:55 am »

It only filters. I don't think it's possible to have every creature of a certain caste be a noble.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 16, 2010, 11:17:00 am »

I was wondering, what is the exact creature tag that makes Dwarves consider a creature to be to intelligent to slaughter? I was thinking of creating a very valuable (but very rare) merperson, but I want my Dwarves to actually be able to butcher it.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 16, 2010, 11:20:11 am »

Unless it's changed since 40d, it'll be CAN_SPEAK. Note that if you're not averse to changing the dwarf ethics, you can just swap the UNTHINKABLE under EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER in the dwarf entity entry with ACCEPTABLE to allow sentient butchery on the whole.

(I presume you realise that merpeople already exist)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:22:46 am by 3 »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 16, 2010, 11:29:16 am »

Unless it's changed since 40d, it'll be CAN_SPEAK. Note that if you're not averse to changing the dwarf ethics, you can just swap the UNTHINKABLE under EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER in the dwarf entity entry with ACCEPTABLE to allow sentient butchery on the whole.

(I presume you realise that merpeople already exist)

Yeah (though they're restricted to good biomes, which is annoying). Thanks for the info. Also, according to the wiki all harpies are female. I thought if a species was only one gender, they couldn't reproduce and would die off. Did this change at some point?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 16, 2010, 11:33:51 am »

It's not quite true that they'll die off - of course, if a race can't reproduce all of its members are going to die eventually, but harpies have no MAXAGE (so they'll never pass to time), and they're generated in groups of ten to twenty, so some of them are likely going to survive. One of my own (genderless, immortal) creatures has FREQUENCY:20 and POPULATION_NUMBER:1:1, and it's still common enough to show up on fortress maps from time to time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:35:22 am by 3 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 16, 2010, 12:34:18 pm »

I have a question and a suggest. Not in that order.

Suggestion: Could we (read:you <3) compile a list of questions/answers in the first post? Or somewhere else and link to it in the first post? No offense, but searching 40 pages for the answer to a question seems like more work than just asking the question again on the last page.

Question: If I set the mental/physical/personality attributes on the creature level, will placing them a second time at the caste level overwrite the creature level specification, or do I have to set the whole gamut of options for each caste individually?

For example, in psuedo code with uninteresting bits left out
Code: [Select]
[creature:kobold]
[intelligent]
[Body setup]
[General attribute setups for the race]

[CASTE:AWESOME_KOBOLD]
[LIKES_FIGHTING]
[Physical Attribute:Awesomeness:Over 9000]

[CASTE:KOBOLD_SHAMAN]
[FLEE_QUICK]
[Mental Attribute:Intuition:Really High]

My hunch is that this should work, but lately my hunches have been off. I'm sure I saw an example of using caste-level tags to override general creature tags in the Genesis mod.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

astronom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 17, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »

how to create an rock anvil reaction in mason workshop?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 18, 2010, 12:50:33 am »

So I just made a new creature, and it is functional. However I noticed that in most fights it's shell would often be torn off or smashed before the rest of the body is damaged. Ideally, the creature's shell should be the toughest part of its body, so it should not be so easily severed or smashed. Is there any way to make it tougher? I still don't know much about modding so I'm not sure.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 18, 2010, 12:51:18 am »

Make it out of a different material? Other than that, there really isn't anything you can do.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 19, 2010, 09:33:55 am »

A question on weapon modding:

I'm trying to increase the variance of weapons (particularly ammo) vs armor.

You can specify multiple damages on a weapon/ammo, i.e:

[ATTACK:EDGE:25000:6000:hack:hacks:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:6000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:1000:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

Now in the combat log it will use the descriptive term for one of these (e.g. x hacks y), but does anyone know:

a) For definite does it just use one of the damage types, or use all of them and just pick one name to use it as?
b) Does it just random pick one of the entries for each blow or are they weighed in some way by any of the values?

Aim is to do something like this with xbow bolts (values to be worked on).
[ATTACK:EDGE:3:1000:penetrate:penetrates:NO_SUB:1500]  critical
[ATTACK:EDGE:6:1000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:7:1000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:8:1000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:9:1000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:2500:slice:slices:NO_SUB:750] glancing blow, but can remove slightly larger body parts
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 19, 2010, 01:52:55 pm »

As far as I can tell, it randomly picks one of the attacks. They aren't weighted, except that if there is an EDGE attack it will do that most of the time instead of a BLUNT attack.

I'd say try it, and just put a different description next to each of your 'stab' attacks to see how often it does each one and compare that to how well it does.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 19, 2010, 04:11:10 pm »

I was under the impression that ranged ammo only used the descriptive phrases (like 'sticks' and 'stabs') when the bolts themselves are used as a melee weapon.

Of course if I just wasn't paying good enough attention during archer raids, and those do indeed have an effect on the combat text I wouldn't complain.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 20, 2010, 12:04:55 pm »

Just come to update with the same info. None of the attacks under ammo seem to be taken into account when ammo is used in ranged attacks.

xbow bolts in hand to hand combat are lethal. Act as turbo-charge spears completely ignoring armour.

Not sure ranged combat is working correcly. Even reducing force & velocity of xbox by a 1/3 not much of a change on armour penetration (iron vs steel, or iron vs iron) even ignoring hits to uncovered locations and Iron bolt to the head (vs steel helm+cap) is still a 50% kill chance.
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 26, 2010, 04:46:16 pm »

Is there any creature tag that causes a creature to completely ignore Dwarves unless they attack them?
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 357