Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422777 times)

calico103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4260 on: November 01, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »

Hey. I'm relatively new to Dwarf Fortress, but I got the hang of it and decided, just for fun, to create my own creature. Naturally, I picked a giant version of my favorite microbe: bacteriophages. And yes, I am aware that they don't function the way I wrote them. Anyways, I've written up the basic body_x and creature_x TXT files, but I want to make my own tissue / materials for the skeleton, skin, etc., and the way the files reference each other all over the place is a bit confusing and intimidating. I was wondering what the best way of tackling each individual file would be.

For those who want to see them, here are the files:

Spoiler: body (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: creature (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:31:03 pm by calico103 »
This is the bomb!

And it's set to go off in fifteen seconds...

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:53 pm »

Having some trouble with my squash mods. I've been able to buy seeds for zucchini and for spaghetti squash, but they aren't showing up to plant in my above-ground fields, and niether elves nor humans have offered me the fruit. I haven't even seen pumpkin seeds, and I gave up on kabocha and pattypan.

Someone help me troubleshoot, please?

Spoiler: Squash! (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: November 01, 2011, 11:17:45 pm »

All of your crops there only have the [WET] tag without the [DRY] tag, so I would assume that it would be possible that all of the civilizations and your current fort are located in [DRY] areas. Try adding the [DRY] tag and then regening and see if they show up. If they do then you can safely remove [DRY] and know that it just happened to be the way that that particular world generated.

Also just one other thing. I noticed that you are naming the material your plants will be using for the leaves as 'FLOWER' but then you state that the leaves will use the 'LEAF' local plant material. You should change [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLOWER:LEAF_TEMPLATE] into [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEAF:LEAF_TEMPLATE] and then that part should work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: November 02, 2011, 12:29:42 am »

Actually, I am in a wet region, and up to my ears in rope reeds. Thanks for the fix on the flowers, though.

I must have fixed something without realizing it earlier, because the elves just brought Bootrazors zucchini and spaghetti squash plants and charged an arm and a leg as elves are wont to do:o Still no sign of pumpkins, though, and it still looks like I can't actually grow them.  :-\

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: November 02, 2011, 12:40:20 am »

Hmmm... The only other thing that I'm catching is that your plants seem to lack a [GROWDUR:XX] tag. This controls how long a plant takes to grow after it has been planted, with a value of 1008 being equal to 1 season. As it is I believe that will cause any you plant to grow instantly, but it might cause some problems with other civilizations cultivating them as I have heard reports before that that may cause problems.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: November 02, 2011, 11:05:02 am »

How would I make a certain creature's bones harder to damage? Would I have to make a new bone material just for that creature or can I modify the hardness in the creature file?
Also, is there any way to attach a syndrome to a projectile like a bolt or increase a weapon's rate of fire?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: November 02, 2011, 12:42:05 pm »

If you wish to increase the strength of several creatures' bones then the easiest way would be to simply define a new bone material and call it in those given creatures. If you only want to effect one creature, however, you can do it in the creature file itself. Immediately before [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:X:X:X:X:X] add the tokens
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BONE_STRONG:BONE_TEMPLATE]
[IMPACT_YIELD:120000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:120000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[SHEAR_YIELD:15000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:15000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
And then change [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] to [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE_STRONG:CARTILAGE]. This should make your creature's bones as hard as stone IIRC.

As for attaching a syndrome to a bolt the only method is to make the bolt out of a material that boils above room temperature but below body temperature and then attach an inhaled syndrome to the material. The bolt should then boil if it gets stuck in the enemy, releasing the gas and infecting the creature with the syndrome.

Currently you can't change the rate of fire of a weapon except by potentially making the weapon itself lighter and therefore slowing the dwarves wielding it by less. This effect is minuscule in most cases however.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: November 02, 2011, 02:53:52 pm »

Hmmm... The only other thing that I'm catching is that your plants seem to lack a [GROWDUR:XX] tag. This controls how long a plant takes to grow after it has been planted, with a value of 1008 being equal to 1 season. As it is I believe that will cause any you plant to grow instantly, but it might cause some problems with other civilizations cultivating them as I have heard reports before that that may cause problems.

This would explain why my fort is filled with maize and hot peppers from my previous modding projects. I'll look into that, thanks!

ETA: It looks like either GROWDUR or LEAF did the trick. The human caravan brought pumpkins for sale and my dwarves can now grow zucchini and spaghetti squash. Thanks for the help, guys!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:40:07 pm by proxn_punkd »

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: November 03, 2011, 05:10:05 am »

Ok, I've looked over the description tokens, and I've practiced with them a little bit so I understand how they work, but im still not sure how to add descriptors. Also, How do creature tiles work? I tried making my golems, look like grey bronze colossus, but I'm not sure how to do it... any help?
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: November 03, 2011, 11:01:23 am »

For a creature tile you simply use the [CREATURE_TILE:X] token, with the input either being the italicized number beneath the character you wish in this chart, or by placing the character you want between single quotes (i.e. '=' or 'B'). The full token should look like either this [CREATURE_TILE:42] or this [CREATURE_TILE:'*'].

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: November 03, 2011, 02:45:13 pm »

Any way to make a weapon usable by only one caste? Or is natural weaponry possible e.g. throwing lightning from hands.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: November 03, 2011, 03:11:35 pm »

You could try to fudge a lightning effect with material breath attacks, although the upcoming interactions would probably be much better suited for that. I think the only way to make only one caste be able to use a weapon would be to give them a larger size than the other castes and make the weapon have a [MINIMUM_SIZE:x] that's higher than all of the other castes but equal to or less than the desired caste. I'm not 100% sure on how sieging units will work in that regard, though, considering that they'll be a group of random castes using one weapon type per squad. I think they'll probably just drop it or "haul" it but I still haven't tested it yet.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: November 03, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »

So if I wanted for a creature to shoot stones, lightning, etc, how would I define the material fired at the enemy?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4273 on: November 03, 2011, 06:49:49 pm »

So if I wanted for a creature to shoot stones, lightning, etc, how would I define the material fired at the enemy?

As an example:

[MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK:INORGANIC:BASALT:LIQUID_GLOB]

where INORGANIC:BASALT is the material and LIQUID_GLOB is the material state.  This shoots globs of molten basalt at a target.

There's no material defined for lightning, and no way to really reproduce the effect of shooting bolts of lighting at something at the moment.  The best you can do is define a material with a fixed very high temperature and throw globs of that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:48 pm »

You could try to fudge a lightning effect with material breath attacks, although the upcoming interactions would probably be much better suited for that. I think the only way to make only one caste be able to use a weapon would be to give them a larger size than the other castes and make the weapon have a [MINIMUM_SIZE:x] that's higher than all of the other castes but equal to or less than the desired caste. I'm not 100% sure on how sieging units will work in that regard, though, considering that they'll be a group of random castes using one weapon type per squad. I think they'll probably just drop it or "haul" it but I still haven't tested it yet.

I'm pretty sure sieges just wield whatever random weapon they are given without any problems. An example can be seen in the goblin pikeman, who is technically too small to wield his weapon, but that doesn't stop swarms of them from appearing and slaying your dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 357